Janus' Reach Shipyard

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Unlike many other shipyard threads, this one is more specifically about building a station / shipyard.

There might be ships involved later down the line of course, but for now, my focus is on trying to get a decent station built in power 2.0 as so much has changed, and a good deal of what was previously possible to make stations resilient to attack, is not any longer.

For me then, this is as much about relearning things, as it is sharing what Im doing (as Im not active on any servers right now). Feedback is welcome of course.

The Janus' Reach is a mining outpost and salvage shipyard. The yard itself has an approximate 551 x 101x 151 active area.
    starmade-screenshot-0005.png starmade-screenshot-0009.png starmade-screenshot-0011.png starmade-screenshot-0013.png starmade-screenshot-0014.png

Edit: thanks for cutting out as I was saving changes internet. -____- cant be bothered to type all that again.

Last edited:

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    starmade-screenshot-0026.png
    starmade-screenshot-0024.png
    starmade-screenshot-0022.png

Just a little progress on the skeleton of the stations "working bits" (where I'll plop all the interior, housing for major systems etc). You cant really see here, but the upper and lower halves are essentially the same, but flipped. Each will end up unique (the top already having a mini "newb" shipyard). The opposite side of the main shipyard will accomodate docking, and the sides will probably have some solid turrets (though I've still got to investigate the new weapons properly), along with splashguard armour sections.
    Edit: Better screenshot added below.

starmade-screenshot-0030.png

Last edited:

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Been working a bit on this over the weekend when I've had time. I've reworked some of the more basic sections for interior etc.

Usually, I dont build shell first though (more on that another time), but with power 2.0, I figured it might be a good start.

I soon realised I still need to plan for systems if this thing is going to be at all resilient, and started to mess about with some basic system chunks. Soon I was hit with a mild foreboding - turrets!

Having to learn new systems is one thing, learning new weapons another... combining the two could be problematic with my goals for this.

So, does anybody have any clear advice / experience on good setups / ones to avoid etc? I would appreciate info on weapons from an inbound perspective - ie mines (which seem to be replacing warheads), and what about docked scanner towers - are they still viable, or currently a no-pointer?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    I put this on pause for a while as I took a break from SM. Been paying again this last week, so will be picking this up again soon.

To get a handle on the new systems (along with recent changes in the current build) I;ve made a move to make a light mining ship and a small "starter" base to go with it. Expect some results later this week on those.

Reactions: kiddan

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    So a funny thing happened with the starter base I intended to do. It worked out to be the exact size to fit onto the huge rings Id built for the initial station. As a result, I've cropped those rings to 351m max, and stuck the part-worked starter station on.

starmade-screenshot-0129.png

Work started quickly with the interiors section as I had a part finished (and since unused) station from pre 2.0. Little bit fiddly trying to get them all to mesh together (and add the rest of the interior) in a different way than they were built, but so far they've magically sloted in nicely.
    Will upload some screens of those bits later on.

Reactions: kiddan and klawxx

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Some of the interior sections I added.

Heres the shipyard access and maintenence airlock (this will have ladders going down to fuel tanks etc).
    starmade-screenshot-0130.png starmade-screenshot-0133.png starmade-screenshot-0135.png

Heres the light miner docking airlock, and beyond it the snack room.
    starmade-screenshot-0137.png starmade-screenshot-0139.png starmade-screenshot-0141.png starmade-screenshot-0157.png

starmade-screenshot-0143.png starmade-screenshot-0145.png starmade-screenshot-0147.png

...Looks like Ill have to make another post to add the rest of the files.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MrGrey1

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    This is the medbay - complete with cellular reconstruction chamber (undeathinator). Between it and the shipyard rings is a launch rack for cargo pods - which I completely forgot to screencap.

starmade-screenshot-0149.png starmade-screenshot-0151.png starmade-screenshot-0153.png starmade-screenshot-0155.png

Reactions: MrGrey1

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Man, I love all that detailing!
    cheers! :)

lots more to be done yet though. o____O~

Edit: I suppose I should point out its not just detailing - the material changes and varied surface reach were rather good at damage absorbing in pre 2.0 - not sure how well they'll fare now though.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    A couple more interior shots.

starmade-screenshot-0159.png starmade-screenshot-0161.png starmade-screenshot-0163.png starmade-screenshot-0165.png
    starmade-screenshot-0169.png starmade-screenshot-0171.png starmade-screenshot-0173.png starmade-screenshot-0177.png

I've started to play around with shield bubbles, and while theyre not a total barrier to making a solid enough station (that isnt a complete brick), they dont exactly make things easy - from the lack of detail as to how they work (do inactive shields become active when others go down? does shield gen affect the strength of a bubble, or is it unilateral across the entity?), to figuring out things like floating turrets (is there even any point?) and so on.
    Of course, docked entities being a power drain is also completely poo - as is the lack of being able to dock a scanner.