Item Description Project

Reaction score
    Before I start, not entirely sure where to post this, so sorry for that. As well as, if this has been asked before, sorry for that too.

So basically, I've noticed that a lot of Items in-game currently have "undefined description" or "(needs description)", as I'm sure many others have. Don't get me wrong, I understand and would much prefer bug fixes, content, and optimization than descriptions for things that are self-explanatory like Redwood Leaves for example. But what I'm getting at is, I've delved a lot of coding in my days, and filling out an XML is pretty easy stuff. Albeit time consuming, but easy nonetheless.

Essentially I'm wondering if it would be alright to add in some sort of community descriptions until the time comes for them to be filled in officially. For example something like this on the "Blue Light" item:

(START UNOFFICIAL SCRIBBLES)
    A Blue Light.
    It has the same illumination power as a PlexLight.
    We totally didn't steal Doctor Plex's design.
    It's blue. See? No similarity...
    (END UNOFFICIAL SCRIBBLES)

Screenshots:
    Before-
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39688260/starmade-screenshot-0001.png
    After-
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39688260/starmade-screenshot-0002.png

Something like that. But I don't want to do it if Schema or Beetle don't want it done. Out of respect, above all else.
    Anyways, hope to hear back on this soon, either way. Keep up the good work. And thanks for making StarMade.
    ~Blackdeath

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    That would be really great to have. Filling in those are currently pretty low on my list.

Reaction score
    Is teh sleepy time. But I\'ve managed to fill in most of the important bits, and tried to sprinkle some enjoyable humor where possible. The only things left now are Terrain Blocks. Haven\'t gotten to filling the ones that need it yet. But all the super important bits should be done. Any feedback is welcome! Readme and Changelog in the .zip.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39688260/StarMade%20Work/CommunityBlockDescriptions0_1.zip

Reaction score
    I think this would be a great project, perhaps Schema can start a github or some updateable project for the community to add text files with descriptions and he can take a read through them. I also think some restraint should be considered like only adding active members of the community access to the files so that there is minimum griefing and not too many descriptions are made.
    I like the comical descriptions, but keep is less Kerbal Space Programy.

Reaction score
    I like the github idea, it would definately be good to get the actual community in instead of just little ol\' me. But at least these can be placeholders until then, or whatever Schema decides to do.

Reaction score
    As requested by TravBro, I\'ve begun work on a non-comical Item Description pack. Some feel that the comedy is what makes the game better, some can do without it. I may be taking liberty here, and if so Schema can jump in at any point, but no one\'s opinion is wrong. Some prefer it one way, others want it the a different way. I\'ll be doing my best to make everyone happy who choses to use either of these. So for those interested, check back a little later today (I\'m in the GMT -0800 zone, sorry for those further ahead than me), and there should be a link and a DL.
    Happy ship building and item buying,
    ~Blackdeath

Reaction score
    After working diligently for the last couple hours, it should be completely finished. Remember this is the 0.1 release, which means there might a grammatical or spelling error here and there. This release is the first of the Non-Comica Item Descriptions. Built off the most recent update\'s BlockConfig.XML. It also adds Structural Stats for every block.
    The Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39688260/StarMade%20Work/NonComicalBlockDesc.zip

I will update the Comical Descriptions with the Structural Stats tomorrow. Until then happy shopping for those who care and use this.