Bug Invisible World - Except for Display Module Screens - Fix Here

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So, I had someone who was in chat looking for a PVP server, so I invited them over to mine. They then told me everything was invisible except for the front of display modules. They tried clearing their cache, restarting the game, but to no avail. They did not have this issue on ANY other server except the one I play on. They then reinstalled the game entirely and this fixed the problem.

Then, I have a secondary server that I have been dabbling on, Bitminery. So I log in there to refresh my login and, lo and behold, all blocks are invisible except the front of display modules. I was not having this issue on Shattered Skies. So I closed my StarMade, and decided to go to my "\StarMade\StarMade\client-database" folder. I renamed the "stars.bitminery.com" folder to "stars.bitminery.com.bak" and the files associated with the server likewise (adding a .bak file extension, so the game would not use them for the server):
    "stars.bitminery.com-faction.xml"
    "stars.bitminery.com-block-behavior.xml"
    and "stars.bitminery.com.xml"

I restarted my game, and the problem was fixed. So if anyone else is having the issue, and you don't want to reinstall your game, just remove the affected files. I am going to try to compare the file to see if there are any notable differences that could be the source of this bug. A preliminary online checker found no differences, but I don't trust the results since one of the XML files seems to have binary data in it.

My steam went ahead and updated my game again.. so I can't get back onto the server to test, since the server didn't get the hotfix. I'm going to see about using the old files in a different installation to see if I can reproduce the error again.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    The things you renamed do exactly the same as:

clear-client-cache.png

With the exception, that clearing the cache does not keep a backup.
    (Which would not be of any use, as its broken anyway if you need that option.)

The client cache, only holds already loaded entities and saves a few MB on bandwidth for textures, blockdata and possible metadata if the timestamp of the file on the server is the same, it will be used from the local cache.

So in theory, it should not make a difference if you rename the cache folder or remove it.
    I wonder if someone has a similar behaviour and manually deleting/renaming fixes stuff that clearing cache does not.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I wasn't able to fix this myself with clear client cache, for myself I toggled the "Multi-draw" setting under Options > Graphics in that same launcher.
    Then again everyone who's had the same issue (all textures but logic lines & display screens being invisible) that I have suggested this to have had no luck. so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just to clarify, I was the one with the blocks not showing up, and apparently re-installing the update works to fix the bugs; a while later on (as in the next day) I logged in and couldn't do anything that involved adding to an inventory cos my inventory was glitched to vanilla sizes. Reinstalled the update, fixed.

Basically if you get a new update and it bugs out on you, just install the last version and then update again. It will completely reinstall the files and fix the bugs.

Reactions: Az14el

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The things you renamed do exactly the same as:

View attachment 26230

With the exception, that clearing the cache does not keep a backup.
    (Which would not be of any use, as its broken anyway if you need that option.)

The client cache, only holds already loaded entities and saves a few MB on bandwidth for textures, blockdata and possible metadata if the timestamp of the file on the server is the same, it will be used from the local cache.

So in theory, it should not make a difference if you rename the cache folder or remove it.
    I wonder if someone has a similar behaviour and manually deleting/renaming fixes stuff that clearing cache does not.
    You would think this would work, and I had directed the player (Twylite Fang) to try this first, but it did not work. I had also tried it myself when I had the issue, and it didn't work.

Later on, I had the exact same issue with another server again. But this time I just removed the "[server]-block-behavior.xml" file, and this fixed the issue.

I also went ahead and used some better tools I downloaded to compare the old and new copies of the files, and I found something very surprising. The text in the old files and new ones were, in fact, *exactly* the same. Somehow forcing the game to re-download these files is what fixed the issue, but the files themselves were not the problem. Then when I replaced the new files with the old ones, the problem remained solved. Very strange!