Invisible players

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hi !

Ok, this is a long time happening problem (for me anyway) but i was always hopping the next update (game or my drivers) would fix it. it hasn't.

I can play fine... On simple quality lighting

Example :

But on normal lighting (as opposed to the faster mode) i got this when closing onto any entity.

Also i cannot see players character on any settings at all.

This is me and the next picture is another player.

And trying to take a screen using F6 and the options framebuffer and glow turned off just froze the game.

I got the preview of the block while looking at the entity i'm building but not in the top right corner also.

My specs...

Running on thread: main
    Adapter: null
    Driver Version: null
    Vendor: X.Org
    OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
    Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-87-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
    GLSL Ver: 1.30

Please help.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    I've seen this with other players before (not ships though). Can be highly amusing if theres a window behind them at certain angles - they appear as giants behind it.

Yup... no useful input from me here.

Edit: Trying to find a screenshot. I know I have one somewhere.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I've seen this with other players before (not ships though). Can be highly amusing if theres a window behind them at certain angles - they appear as giants behind it.

Yup... no useful input from me here.

Edit: Trying to find a screenshot. I know I have one somewhere.
    Seen that screen shot, don't know if its related tho...

Anyway that bug is very annoying, i hope someone will give some help... Maybe one from the dev team....

Reaction score
    I have this same problem. Always have. I play on Linux.

In regards to the lighting, there is an area around my avatar that i think would be affected by the lighting, but the blocks appear invisible. As i move around my space station, the blocks around me disappear, but the blocks in the distance are fine. There are a few blocks that do not go invisible, i.e. displays and pipes. Simple Lighting makes things visible again.

I've never been able to see avatars, mine or anyone else.

I don't care about the lighting. It would be nice to see the avatars.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

So, you're not using you video card's acceleration abilities, that might be a good place to start.

->Video drivers: Boot to safe mode, completely uninstall video drivers and support programs, reboot, install newest version, reboot, try game again.

->dual video: if you have CPU/integrated graphics AND a dedicated card, check though the options to set the dedicated graphics to "always" or to "disable" the integrated graphics.

Edit: to be clear, I'm mostly sure your problem is because "Gallium 0.4" open-source drivers are NOT handling the mapping and tessellation correctly.

Last edited:
    Reaction score

So, you're not using you video card's acceleration abilities, that might be a good place to start.
    That doesn't mean anything of consequence; it's a known issue ⚓ T1741 "Adapter" and "Driver Version" are reported as "null" in graphcisinfo.txt

->Video drivers: Boot to safe mode, completely uninstall video drivers and support programs, reboot, install newest version, reboot, try game again.
    There's no "safe mode" in Linux...

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    That doesn't mean anything of consequence; it's a known issue ⚓ T1741 "Adapter" and "Driver Version" are reported as "null" in graphcisinfo.txt

There's no "safe mode" in Linux...
    Whatever the "you can play with your kernel now" mode is then. Your sardonic reply does not negate the attempted helpful pointer of "'Gallium 0.4' open-source drivers are NOT handling the mapping and tessellation correctly."

->Switch to a different driver package from the bargin-bin of the linux pile until you find one that respects industry standards.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I have this same problem. Always have. I play on Linux.

In regards to the lighting, there is an area around my avatar that i think would be affected by the lighting, but the blocks appear invisible. As i move around my space station, the blocks around me disappear, but the blocks in the distance are fine. There are a few blocks that do not go invisible, i.e. displays and pipes. Simple Lighting makes things visible again.

I've never been able to see avatars, mine or anyone else.

I don't care about the lighting. It would be nice to see the avatars.
    I had exactly the same problem.
    I also play with Linux (ubuntu 18.04)

My problem was the GPU not the driver. Its simply too old and doesn't have the latest tech necessary.

I now have a rizen3 under linux and i can finally see my avatar and my builds close up using normal lighting.

I can run both linux and propriatary drivers with no différences. So its probably your GPU or graphic card that is too old.