internal turrets

Reaction score
    Has anyone tried to build internal turrets. By building turret an attaching to a ship and building around it

Reaction score
    This was or still is idk possible but it didn't always work. In some cases you would have turrets shooting from the inside of the ship at the enemy. So they would be protected by the main ship and ignore the hull on the main ship. In other cases the AMCs would be blocked by the hull of the main ship, resulting in nothing more but energy lose and waist of space. Or they would shoot and damage the main ship itself.

And partly covered turrets would end up clipping into the ship while they would move all directions.

Reaction score
    Yes, I haven't tested it online but I've made a large turret and put it on my capital's hangar. Of course, it shot through the ship at enemies...

Reaction score
    I think under the current build, if I were to build a turret, I would turn the range as tiny as possible. Turrets were modified to not shoot at targets they couldn't hit and the small range might prevent self-turret damage unless you were boarded.

Not a perfect solution, but it should help make it feasible to build something like a core-room turret.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If I remembered the patch notes correctly. Turrets AMCs will not hurt the ship there docked to or other turrets docked to the same ship as far as I'm aware. Ship AMCs won't hurt turrets docked to it. In both cases though the AMC shots are also stopped so they don't pass through to hit something else.

With missiles though it seems to get messy. During some testing the heat seeking missiles ship fired came back and blew holes out of my turrets. With turret mounted lock-on missile launchers using AI to engage pirates I've also had those blow holes in my own turrets as well. (the pirates didn't have missiles so I know the damage was self inflicted, the multiplayer server also didn't have small pirate ships either). Usually server max ship speed was set to 100m/s so I assume even though the missiles were locked onto the pirate I assume i ran into them since the ship was moving faster than the missiles max speed. When I removed the launchers to just have AMCs none of the turrets got damaged ever. I assume cause of the overlap that some of the turrets were getting in each others way but they never took damage from AMCs and they had enough DPS to break their own shields.

As for internal turrets depends on if you want a turret to fire out in a limited arc or just internal defense against boarders. In either case they should work with AMCs. Missiles are risky. But while the AMC turret is shooting your own ship or attached turret while no damage is being done to your ship it is draining power.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I remember building a tiny turret capable of fitting in the 7x7 default, making a 10x10x7 room at a major corner of my ship, and mounting the little turret to the ceiling. It only had like 3 or 4 AMCs, and I'd just set the range as low as possible so it wouldn't try to target things outside the ship. This also let me put a lot of points into RoF and damage.

I tested with some friends, and it wrecked intruders, especially if the turret was backed up by an assisting crew member. The crew member back up was needed because turrets only target one thing at a time, so one person could jump around avoiding the turret while it focused on them, while the other boarders destroyed the turret with focused fire.