Read by Schine Inner ship remote hot-keys

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wouldn't it be nice to assign hot-keys to the inner ship remote? Do you know people that made engine lights go on and off when they hit their inner ship remote? Or people that made walking mechs?

Well with hotkeys assigned to the inner ship remote they can just use for example W to go forward and/or have their cool engine animation.

The signal would stay on until they release the key again. Why like that? Because all other options are possible with logic gates. Want a short pulse when pressed? Use a button. Want a togglable hot-key? Use a flip-flop.
    The inner ship remote already has a menu so we could add it there set default to nothing.

The hot-keys would work in ship flight mode

Note: assigning a hot-key like F or H or anything else so the player can quickly use the specific inner ship remote.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    They can, at least they could a couple of versions ago. You assign them a name by selecting them with R, then you can add them to any ship's toolbar like weapons and then you can use the 1-0 keys to toggle them. They behave like 2-state activators: pressing the assigned number once will activate an inner ship remote, next time will deactivate it.

EDIT: Yep, they still do. Hotkeys select them and the LMB toggles them on/off, actually.

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I like the idea maybe not the implementation. I'll have to think on that more.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    They can, at least they could a couple of versions ago. You assign them a name by selecting them with R, then you can add them to any ship's toolbar like weapons and then you can use the 1-0 keys to toggle them. They behave like 2-state activators: pressing the assigned number once will activate an inner ship remote, next time will deactivate it.

EDIT: Yep, they still do. Hotkeys select them and the LMB toggles them on/off, actually.
    I think he is wanting to assign a specific key to a remote, like pressing the "H" key opens the hangar bay.

I had a suggestion similar to this. I called them logic stations and the original idea was that when you placed an ISR, you could assign a hot key to it. Then you master, slave it to the logic station. When you take command of the station you can control all the inner ship remotes slaved to it with button presses instead of a hotbar.

The idea was to allow friends riding in your ship to operate various thingymabobs around your ship. I like the idea but it didn't get much traction.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think he is wanting to assign a specific key to a remote, like pressing the "H" key opens the hangar bay.

I had a suggestion similar to this. I called them logic stations and the original idea was that when you placed an ISR, you could assign a hot key to it. Then you master, slave it to the logic station. When you take command of the station you can control all the inner ship remotes slaved to it with button presses instead of a hotbar.

The idea was to allow friends riding in your ship to operate various thingymabobs around your ship. I like the idea but it didn't get much traction.
    Jup exactly, I'm thinking of making a VR or something as the player can then show what way he wants to move very easily.
    also in more serious situations, like shooting torpedoes, having the hotkey F or something could be really useful. Stupid that I didn't see that suggestion of you, this is pretty much the same but it doesn't require new blocks.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I would love to see something like this in game. It is perfect for walkers. I can also imagine someone setting up a keyboards for their computers, basically anything that you want fast and easy controls.

Just one thing. Since there is already a prompt, I think it makes more sense to configure it there, without the use of external logic. Like a set of checkboxes or a slider, since it can't be in multiple modes at once.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Stupid that I didn't see that suggestion of you, this is pretty much the same but it doesn't require new blocks.
    It doesnt hurt my feelings one bit. Like I said, I think its a great idea so here's to hoping it gets some traction this time.

Question, will the keystrokes only function in flight mode or is there also a way to have this functionality on a station?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The only issue I see is some people don't always use default key binds so downloading and sharing ships might be an issue if you bind a remote to "forward" and then share your ship. Perhaps instead of binding it to a key you bind to ship functions such as thrust forward or backwards and so on and so forth.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only issue I see is some people don't always use default key binds so downloading and sharing ships might be an issue if you bind a remote to "forward" and then share your ship. Perhaps instead of binding it to a key you bind to ship functions such as thrust forward or backwards and so on and so forth.
    Then you would still need to activate the inner ship remote manually. Plus maybe you looked for a key that doesn't have a function yet because it shouldn't go forward and undock fighters or something. Maybe the possibility to shift+key?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Then you would still need to activate the inner ship remote manually. Plus maybe you looked for a key that doesn't have a function yet because it shouldn't go forward and undock fighters or something. Maybe the possibility to shift+key?
    Instead of binding the inner-ship remote to "W" you bind it to "Thurst Foward" this way anybody using W will trigger the inner ship remote when thrusting but in the case somebody else changes their bind, (I had somebody in my livestream tell me they used keys other than wasd) the remote would still function properly. It's a minor issue but something that has to be addressed. While some people may not share their ships anybody else who wants to might use this "activate logic on key press" function may. Personally I have R bound to target and F to interact while O is my eject key so I never accidentally left a moving core.

While this doesn't leave all the keys open to the user perhaps a set of "undefined binds" could be left in the configs, you bind them to a free key and then the inner ship remote will activate on that bind.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Instead of binding the inner-ship remote to "W" you bind it to "Thurst Foward" this way anybody using W will trigger the inner ship remote when thrusting but in the case somebody else changes their bind, (I had somebody in my livestream tell me they used keys other than wasd) the remote would still function properly. It's a minor issue but something that has to be addressed. While some people may not share their ships anybody else who wants to might use this "activate logic on key press" function may. Personally I have R bound to target and F to interact while O is my eject key so I never accidentally left a moving core.

While this doesn't leave all the keys open to the user perhaps a set of "undefined binds" could be left in the configs, you bind them to a free key and then the inner ship remote will activate on that bind.
    I guess it would do if it is both possible, according to what the player prefers.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I can't speak much on this. Perhaps the ship remote window would list all of the keys that would activate it. I don't see this as an issue, but I imagine it won't be a high priority.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer