Planned Inhabited worlds and custom NPC/procedural faction ideas

Reaction score
    One of the things that comes up a lot in the suggestions subforum is an overhaul of planets, and I feel like none of them address the biggest problem Starmade's planets currently have. Namely, that once you've seen one desert planet, you've seen them all, and that goes for every variety.

The only real way to address this fully is to have planets be inhabited. I propose that various factions should have settlements on the planets, similar to the cities of previous versions, only with NPCs belonging to the faction inhabiting it. This seems like a simple suggestion, but it still runs risk of everything ended up to samey if implemented incorrectly, which leads me to the second part of my suggestion.

I propose that the copy and paste feature adds a new functionality, "Save as building". Then, during the creation of an NPC faction the creator can add the buildings to the faction, similar to ships and buildings, and during planet generation the buildings will be placed procedurally.

Other functionality could include saving buildings as different kinds of buildings, ie military facilities, research, residential, recreation etc to help prevent Starmade from putting the wrong kinds of buildings together, or possibly even split things onto different plates. It could also be added which kinds of planets these will/won't spawn on.

This way every time the player/server admin adds a new NPC faction new things to find on planets get added, and it would go towards making the universe of Starmade feel alive.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    have you actually seen a terran planet? because quite often you will find a city. also every so often you will find pyramids on desert planet.
    and the terrain generator is very good so no two planets will ever look the same, however they will always have similar features.

also, fauna
    its coming

one day

soon

I am the pro at wasting space

Reaction score
    I haven't came across a city or a pyramid in a while actually, but yes, I even mentioned them in the post. Even still, once you've seen one city or pyramid you've still seen them all. And while the exact cracks, crevices, mountains etc aren't exactly the same they are very similar. Looking forward to Fauna though, that should help.

Liking the look of that "planned" tag as well.

Reactions: alij331

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I haven't came across a city or a pyramid in a while actually, but yes, I even mentioned them in the post. Even still, once you've seen one city or pyramid you've still seen them all. And while the exact cracks, crevices, mountains etc aren't exactly the same they are very similar. Looking forward to Fauna though, that should help.

Liking the look of that "planned" tag as well.
    I'm hoping for the ore extractor stuff. Because right now people just blow planets up for resources and to reduce lag...

Reactions: nightrune

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A system where paste templates could be put into a folder for each AI faction and used as random buildings would be nice. And the best part is that it mostly uses existing features... Remember, you can already grab any paste templates you saved and delete them, move them between installs, upload them, throw them into backup storage, or whatever else; they're just files.

Reactions: alij331