Imprint Blocks; a one stop solution to field repairs,turret placement, refits.

Reaction score
    Some things that, as they are, either don't work or are somewhat difficult.

1:Repairing ships in the field
    2:Placing lots of turrets on a design
    3:Quickly replacing one kind of computer and module with another

The suggested solution? The 'Imprint Computer' block.

The Imprint Computer is an inventory bearing block that accepts only a single item. That item may be a Blueprint, a Design, or a ship-system Computer. The Imprint Comp can be linked to rails, turret rails, the ship's core, build blocks, and to other computers.

When linked to different things, the effects are somewhat different.

Ship Core
    The Imprint Computer linked to the ship core accepts a blueprint or design. Ideally, the one for the ship. While so attached, the use of astrotech beams will replace blocks as per the design. (Though they need to be supplied to the astrotech comp via an attached storage, like a salvage comp in reverse)

The linked imprint would also supersede choosing the BP to repair to in a shipyard. Clicking 'repair' will simply run the repair for the imprinted BP.

Turret, Rail Turret.
    Either of these will simply store the design for a turret or ship, and project it above the rail. Mostly, this would allow attaching new turrets in build/design mode extremely quickly. Possibly, it'd allow them to be built in the field by an astrotech computer, but more likely is simply a fast way to get them on in the shipyard's design mode.

Build Block
    Only works on stations. Same as Ship-core, allowing stations to be repaired or built in the same fashion.

Weapon/Effect Computers
    Accepts a different computer. When the ship is repaired or an astrotech is used, replaces the linked computer with the stored one, and replaces all linked modules with ones of the new type. Makes altering designs systems much faster.

Conclusions
    I have some concerns that this would disrupt the planned use of shipyards, but I'm sure some balance solution could be reached. It's been said before the devs are trying very hard to avoid lots of drop-down menus in the game, so this is just one solution to one problem I think can easily be solved using a system like this, integrated into the existing block linking mechanics.

Reaction score
    Have thought this too especially about turret placement although I had thought maybe building the ability choose a BP in "create docking". Your idea though, is better because it fits gameplay as a mechanic of maintenance.

Reaction score
    Some things that, as they are, either don't work or are somewhat difficult.

1:Repairing ships in the field
    2:Placing lots of turrets on a design
    3:Quickly replacing one kind of computer and module with another

The suggested solution? The 'Imprint Computer' block.

The Imprint Computer is an inventory bearing block that accepts only a single item. That item may be a Blueprint, a Design, or a ship-system Computer. The Imprint Comp can be linked to rails, turret rails, the ship's core, build blocks, and to other computers.

When linked to different things, the effects are somewhat different.

Ship Core
    The Imprint Computer linked to the ship core accepts a blueprint or design. Ideally, the one for the ship. While so attached, the use of astrotech beams will replace blocks as per the design. (Though they need to be supplied to the astrotech comp via an attached storage, like a salvage comp in reverse)

The linked imprint would also supersede choosing the BP to repair to in a shipyard. Clicking 'repair' will simply run the repair for the imprinted BP.

Turret, Rail Turret.
    Either of these will simply store the design for a turret or ship, and project it above the rail. Mostly, this would allow attaching new turrets in build/design mode extremely quickly. Possibly, it'd allow them to be built in the field by an astrotech computer, but more likely is simply a fast way to get them on in the shipyard's design mode.

Build Block
    Only works on stations. Same as Ship-core, allowing stations to be repaired or built in the same fashion.

Weapon/Effect Computers
    Accepts a different computer. When the ship is repaired or an astrotech is used, replaces the linked computer with the stored one, and replaces all linked modules with ones of the new type. Makes altering designs systems much faster.

Conclusions
    I have some concerns that this would disrupt the planned use of shipyards, but I'm sure some balance solution could be reached. It's been said before the devs are trying very hard to avoid lots of drop-down menus in the game, so this is just one solution to one problem I think can easily be solved using a system like this, integrated into the existing block linking mechanics.
    I like the blueprint imprint system. I have a copy paste for this:
    What if astrotech beams worked like salvage beams in reverse(smaeb egavlas). As in, they shot through the target until they hit a missing block,then they would, if they had it in their inventory, place the needed block. The catch is, the block would only have one HP and no AHP. Once all missing blocks within the beam had been replaced, it would start working from the back forward to heal block HP normally.* The AI would have a "constructor" mode, checkbox, that would work in the same order as the beam, but on an entity wide scale.

*It could also have the ability to heal AHP at a slower rate, such as 1/10th or so, but could only heal the amount a block had lost, so each block would have it's individual APH kept track of and be healed by astrotech.

Because of the aux reactor update, they couldn't heal their own ship as turrets either, so ships couldn't be self healing. They could have repairing drone fleets though.