I'm BAAAaaack! (And I'm bringing a new Logic Core with me!)

Reaction score

Hey, so it's been... what... a year? Something like that! Anyway, a handful of you folks might remember my Logic Core with the programmable Chain Warp drive. Well, I worked for weeks on upgrading that shipboard computer, but before I ever got it uploaded my computer burned out. So I went from having a sleek and refined Mk3 logic core, to suddenly being back to mk 1. Combined with a lack of time and not being ENTIRELY certain of how I made the Mk3 actually work, I ended up getting frustrated and leaving the game for a while.
    But I'm back! And even better, the Mk4 is starting to come together!

Features I plan to include on this version:

The mass of the computer is being changed from going across your ship to running down along it. (Back to front instead of side to side)

Programmable warp drive: 1 jump, 10 jumps, 25 jumps, Full-Auto-Chain-Drive-Action, you name it. Just tell the computer how many jumps you want it to make and it will do it automatically. It can also safely charge without risk of firing, so that it may be ready to use in case of emergency.

Customizable Drone Controls: Ther will be a certain number of command options and command groups. These can be named whatever you like and connected via logic to your drone bays (or the drones themselves) to give you greater control over your little fleet of AI minions.

Name recognition technology: When you first fire up the logic core, it will introduce itself and ask for your name. Once you enter that name, it will remember it, and actually USE it in all future dialogues.

Fuzzy Logic conversational AI (limited): I could go all out with this feature, but the computer would be HUGE!! The Mk 1 only took precoded commands: {CHARGE WARP COILS). The Mk 2 could interpret conversational commands by looking for keywords. "Charge the warp coil" would get the reply "Warp coils are charging. They will not activate unless given the command." Likewise, the sentence "Hello, Dolly! Would you mind charging up those warp coils for me? Thank you!" would get an identical response.
    The MK3, however, actually had some limited conversational capabilities. Given the second sentence, it would formulate an answer like: "Hello [NAME]. I'm charging all 25 warp coils. Pleased to be of service."
    Basically, there was just an extra row in the computer that just had miscellaneous words and phrases which the computer could catch and respond to, adapting those responses into the standard activation/deactivation dialogue.

I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. I hope y'all have been coming up with more fun logic experiments while I was away!

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Hopefully you post flow-charts and component diagrams as you get it working. Future-debug and mods will need it.

Reactions: Stormraven
    Reaction score
    Good gods, the amount of space that would take... LoL

I might be able to do separate components. Like, a chart for the warp drive, a chart for the name recognition protocols, etc...

Reactions: DrTarDIS

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I was hoping for Simple box diagrams per component. Eg
    RSNOR(active) ->And->effect
    RSNOR(inactive)->OR->secondary.

Etc. Similar to the papers I'd get with any IC chip, or use to modify a daughterboard.

Takes a lot of space, but means that other people can use it too, also so that YOU know WTF is going on when you look at it in 2 months with a new idea.

Reaction score
    I was hoping for Simple box diagrams per component. Eg
    RSNOR(active) ->And->effect
    RSNOR(inactive)->OR->secondary.

Etc. Similar to the papers I'd get with any IC chip, or use to modify a daughterboard.

Takes a lot of space, but means that other people can use it too, also so that YOU know WTF is going on when you look at it in 2 months with a new idea.
    Luckily most of the components, while not identical, run off of similar concepts.

For example, most of the computer runs on sensors which detect specific words or phrases. So even in different parts of the computer where they might be slightly differently arranged, the core concepts are consistent.
    [doublepost=1503933715,1503931757][/doublepost]Let me see if I can make something helpful without digging for images...

So the programmable warp core:

This is a type of chain drive based on having numbered 'cells' which can be selected via a display computer in the cockpit. The idea is to be able to select exactly how many jumps you want to make by choosing a number of cells OR to be able to go 'full auto' and just use it as a standard chain drive.

Each cell looks something like this:
    ------------[N]- [Ac]
    ------------[An] -[Ac]
    [Ac] -[N]- [O]- [Se]
    [Se]-[Wb] -[Wc] -[D]

(Se= Sensor Ac= Activation mod N=not O=or An=and Wb=Warp block Wc=Warp computer D=Display)
    The lower RIGHT sensor detects if the number input via the display computer corresponds to the specific cell. If it does, the lower activation mod is turned on. That Ac will turn on the Ac above it AND all of the upper Ac's in all cells with a lower number in the series. (So activating cell 15 also turns on cells 1-14).
    If the cell is active, then the AND will accept charges from the rail clock and relay them down to the Warp Computer.

The lower LEFT sensor detects if the Warp computer is at least at least 95% charged. If it is, the Activator on top of it will turn on. When this happens, the cell will stop accepting charges from the rail clock. The top activator will be turned off, but the one below it will not. This signals that the cell is selected, and fully charged, but it will not fire.

To activate all of the selected and charged drives, a separate switch (I use an inner ship remote) must be connected to the OR block of every cell. This will allow the cell to accept charges from the rail clock even after the left sensor has activated.
    Once the cell has FIRED, the left sensor will deactivate, and the cell will shut down even if the OR is activated via remote. This prevents the cell from firing over and over, as opposed to just once.

Another inner ship remote can be attached to all of the upper Ac's as well as the ISR connected to the OR's in order to go 'full auto' and just use this as a normal chain warp drive.

Last edited:

Daro_Khan

Bearer of Truths
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Not to be a downer. But the power update has scanner blocks and jump drives apart of the core. So your logic cores feature on that might not be useful come the full switch over.(though server can still use old power just like old rails) Though Logic will have interactions with the new power system and chambers.

What that will be we will just have to wait :)

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Not to be a downer. But the power update has scanner blocks and jump drives apart of the core. So your logic cores feature on that might not be useful come the full switch over.(though server can still use old power just like old rails) Though Logic will have interactions with the new power system and chambers.

What that will be we will just have to wait :)
    He will adapt to the new standard.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I am actually looking forward to this logic core, quite the package of goodness for any ship.