I have a very big problem with my game client

Reaction score
    Recently, the game has been crashing. Not just to the main menu, or even requiring a game restart. It requires me to force shutdown my computer because the entire computer freezes. I have waited up to an hour for it to unfreeze, but to no avail. This has never happened to me in any other game, ever. I'm sick and tired of having to redo parts of my creations over and over again because i have to force shutdown my computer. I know its not a virus because i did a full system scan and nothing showed up. I know its not my computer because it never happens in any other game. Please help me figure out what this is and help me fix it.
    Thanks,
    FireG0dz

(P.S. If you want my computer stats, let me know}

Reaction score
    tbh, always post your stats when it's for solving an issue like this

It sounds like a RAM issue
    The recent update has caused some performance drop so that could be why

Do you know how to check your RAM usage while in-game?

Reaction score
    Its definitely not a RAM issue. I have a NVIDIA GTX 750ti with two 8g RAM boosters, giving it a total of 24g RAM. 64-bit operating system, an AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor: 3.80 GHz. Its a CyberTron gaming PC. Dual-Moniter display. But, again, it hasn't showed up in any other game
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466615254,1466615074][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually in the new hotfix it says "fix for crash using SIMD if wrong processor information was provided by OS" My problem may be fixed. I'll let you know shortly
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466617057][/DOUBLEPOST]nope. just had another crash and lost a lot of progress on a ship im working on. plz help

Reaction score
    I think I may have figured it out. My max frame rate was unlimited, and sometimes i would get really high FPS. Maybe the super-high FPS was causing the monitor to freak out and freeze, not allowing me to do anything. I set the max to 120, hope it works.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Its definitely not a RAM issue. I have a NVIDIA GTX 750ti with two 8g RAM boosters, giving it a total of 24g RAM. 64-bit operating system, an AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor: 3.80 GHz.
    Your system RAM and Video RAM (VRAM) are very different things.

Considering nearly every 750Ti has 2GB of VRAM, I'd say that's what you have.

As for those 'Ram Boosters'... What? So you mean you have 2 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB system memory?

Check for driver updates. Check to see if your video driver has recently updated. Use Ctrl+alt+Del when it freezes and see if anything happens. Try using a single monitor on different display ports. Try redownloading the game and testing it.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    how long since you last cleaned your heatsinks? both cpu and gpu.

rivatuner or hwmblackbox -> monitor your thermal info.

boot from windows install disc, run ram test program.

winkey+r ->"msconfig" -> run -> tools tab ->computer management -> launch -> system tools -> event viewer -> summary of administrative events -> "critical" and "error" (look for halts).

Reaction score
    I only understood about 1/2 of what you said there DrTarDIS. Just so you know, it hasnt happened in any other game... ive tried. I've done everything, putting the max FPS down, nothing happens. I have a total of 1TB memory. In the settings, it says i have 24 gigs of installed RAM. Honestly i have no clue what the RAM boosters do. My base computer had 6gigs. Then i put the graphics card in... 8 gigs. two weeks later a friend bought too many RAM boosters and gave two to me. (he's trustable, he's helped me with computer things before, although he's confused about this situation too.) When i installed them... 24 gigs. I will check for driver updates. When i press Ctrl + Alt + Del when it freezez... nothing happens. The only thing that works is force shutting my computer down. I've tried everything.
    Thanks for reading this ramble,
    FireG0dz

EDIT - There are no driver updates

Deadlis

Le Chateau Autiste
    Reaction score
    Its definitely not a RAM issue. I have a NVIDIA GTX 750ti with two 8g RAM boosters, giving it a total of 24g RAM. 64-bit operating system, an AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor: 3.80 GHz. Its a CyberTron gaming PC. Dual-Moniter display. But, again, it hasn't showed up in any other game

Reaction score
    we solved it in chat, my memory was too high. Plus, i described it in my second post on this thread. its most likely resolved.

Reaction score
    The issue has been resolved. Thank you so much for your time and effort, (Except Deadlis) I will be taking this post down shortly

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be good to leave the thread online, so that people who have this same problem in the future can find this thread in search and see if they, too, have too much memory.

By "memory too high", do you mean you had to remove a stick or two of memory, reduce the amount of RAM available to Java, or something else?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have a total of 1TB memory. In the settings, it says i have 24 gigs of installed RAM.
    The 1TB is most likely the hard drive, which is for storing files and data long-term.
    Memory in computers typically refers to DRAM (Dynamic Random-Access Memory, often just called RAM), which stores data only as long as the computer is turned on and needs it, and is added to a computer by two ways:
    • Installing "RAM Boosters" called DIMMs into available slots on the motherboard. A motherboard will only accept one type of DIMM, and no other will fit in the slot. (Example: No fitting a DDR4 DIMM into a DDR3 slot)
    • Configuring the Windows Paging File to allocate part of the hard drive to Virtual RAM, which is used when the operating system and its programs need more RAM than is actually available. This method is slower and less efficient than the DIMM option.
    Graphics cards also have memory on board, but theirs is called Video RAM, or VRAM. This memory is similar to the system's RAM, but is reserved for the graphics card's use, so it can render what's supposed to show on your screen. If a graphics card needs more VRAM to render something than it has available, it will ask the CPU to let it borrow some RAM, which would result in reduced FPS as the use of RAM is a bit slower than just needing its own VRAM.

The memory that can be assigned to StarMade is the RAM.

Reaction score
    The 1TB is most likely the hard drive, which is for storing files and data long-term.
    Memory in computers typically refers to DRAM (Dynamic Random-Access Memory, often just called RAM), which stores data only as long as the computer is turned on and needs it, and is added to a computer by two ways:
    • Installing "RAM Boosters" called DIMMs into available slots on the motherboard. A motherboard will only accept one type of DIMM, and no other will fit in the slot. (Example: No fitting a DDR4 DIMM into a DDR3 slot)
    • Configuring the Windows Paging File to allocate part of the hard drive to Virtual RAM, which is used when the operating system and its programs need more RAM than is actually available. This method is slower and less efficient than the DIMM option.
    Graphics cards also have memory on board, but theirs is called Video RAM, or VRAM. This memory is similar to the system's RAM, but is reserved for the graphics card's use, so it can render what's supposed to show on your screen. If a graphics card needs more VRAM to render something than it has available, it will ask the CPU to let it borrow some RAM, which would result in reduced FPS as the use of RAM is a bit slower than just needing its own VRAM.

The memory that can be assigned to StarMade is the RAM.
    I really wish you posted this before, because it would of saved a heck of a lot of time, and progress. Thanks for letting me know why it was happening, and I certainly won't make this mistake again.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I only understood about 1/2 of what you said there DrTarDIS. Just so you know, it hasnt happened in any other game... ive tried. I've done everything, putting the max FPS down, nothing happens. I have a total of 1TB memory. In the settings, it says i have 24 gigs of installed RAM. Honestly i have no clue what the RAM boosters do. My base computer had 6gigs. Then i put the graphics card in... 8 gigs. two weeks later a friend bought too many RAM boosters and gave two to me. (he's trustable, he's helped me with computer things before, although he's confused about this situation too.) When i installed them... 24 gigs. I will check for driver updates. When i press Ctrl + Alt + Del when it freezez... nothing happens. The only thing that works is force shutting my computer down. I've tried everything.
    Thanks for reading this ramble,
    FireG0dz

EDIT - There are no driver updates
    Glad it worked out. Still always worth installing rivatuner or HWMblackbox or any other hardware monitoring program to watch/record your temperatures, fan speeds, etc. It really helps with tracking down "common failure points"

the windowes install disks have an option when they boot to run tests on your hard drives, RAM, etc to make sure they are working correctly. Many BSOD are from faulty RAM, Even if it's "only one program". The law of averages and all that.

AS for the long chain of arrows...Just try following every step listed there, even if it's "already fixed." it will lead you to/through 2 of window's most powerful troubleshooting and customization features. They are worth checking out, and knowing they are there.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Just so you know, Everything Tydeth said is really simple stuff that ANYONE should know before poking around in a PC. This game is still (obviously) a WIP, so might I suggest you do a bit of research on hardware and software? It will help heaps if you have any more problems!