I did my Votes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did my votes and I would like to see what you people would like to see if you can change my opinion.

In no particular order:
    Dalmont
    MrFurb
    Tomino_sama
    Jath
    (Random guy with a cat picture)

If you have any you think I should change, lets me see your argument, if it feels like it is getting too out of hand, we will move it to a PM

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I said it before, I'll say it again. The lack of Comr4de is disgraceful.
    he was a tester in the past and cares a lot about balance and multiplayer PvP. He's also shown to be able to take incentive, meaning he would be able to bring up the topics that most other council runners would not be able to (either because inexperience, or uncertainty in opinions). He may not exactly fit your criteria for vote, but he is well worth your vote anyways.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I said it before, I'll say it again. The lack of Comr4de is disgraceful.
    Well that that your opinion, the one I like what I have voted. If he has any videos please let me see them.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well he has this;
    But if you are just looking for those who make videos, I'll be on my way.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Think of it this way. Making videos tells me that you are able to have time to actually do things. It also means you have a drive to promote the game.
    The council's job is not to promote. Youtube channels also consume time on their own. Just because you have time for videos doesn't mean you magically have more time for discussions. You either have free time aside from that used on videos, or one of them suffers as you devote time to the other.

1 does not equal 2. 1 plus 1 does.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Think of it this way. Making videos tells me that you are able to have time to actually do things. It also means you have a drive to promote the game.
    Making videos doesnt tell you that, it could even tell you the opposite as many youtubers would propably still spent most of their time on creating videos, especially if they got a partner contract. Promoting isnt the job of the council, the councils job is to bridge the gap between the developers and the community more efficiently by gathering and forwarding feedback, suggestions and overall information from the community.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The council's job is not to promote. Youtube channels also consume time on their own. Just because you have time for videos doesn't mean you magically have more time for discussions. You either have free time aside from that used on videos, or one of them suffers as you devote time to the other.

1 does not equal 2. 1 plus 1 does.
    Lets say you were on the council now. Why would you be here, and not counseling? The same goes for Youtube. If you have time to make videos, you can cut back on those and council.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429664441,1429664334][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Making videos doesnt tell you that, it could even tell you the opposite as many youtubers would propably still spent most of their time on creating videos, especially if they got a partner contract. Promoting isnt the job of the council, the councils job is to bridge the gap between the developers and the community more efficiently by gathering and forwarding feedback, suggestions and overall information from the community.
    How do get feedback, direct messaging and what, seeing what people post. If they can post that means you can get feedback, however what is the best way of showing what feedback you get, videos, sure text posts are "ok" but videos make it legit.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    sure text posts are "ok" but videos make it legit.
    Congratulations, thats the dumbest thing ive read in weeks.

The council will have hidden forums, informations can be gathered from various sources, experience, servers they play one, and most importantly these very forums, the forums where most discussions and suggestions about the various aspects of the game take place, more than in any youtube video.

The gathered feedback, suggestions and informations will be collected and combined in hidden forums, easy for the developers to reach and read, as well as discussed in actual meetings with the developers.

And honestly, no developer whos right in his mind has time to rewatch a video to find a piece of information again, or take notes while watching a video, text media is much more versatile and flexible for that than any audio-visual media. So no, videos dont make it legit.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Not enough videos, 3 months out of date, case closed.
    Hey, so I did a youtube search for "Starmade PvP". All of the results but two on the first two pages were older than 6 months. The two that were not older than that were about Arena-style PvP, the most recent one was actually about astronaut PvP. I would say that there's a gross underrepresentation of one of the most common types of PvP; impromptu, factional combat. The balance between weapons is already awful; I could go on for PAGES about the poor quality, but I'll say this much. Weapons are currently balanced towards being able to easily hit (75%< of the time) your target. The most effective weapon combo for doing this is missile + beam. This is why nobody uses beams/cannons; why use those when you can park 15km out from the target and unload 5 missiles? This isn't fun and it isn't balanced. If you want 30 videos of arena combat that's your prerogative, but it wouldn't effectively display the disparities between weapons right now.

I am a college student. I live paycheck to paycheck. I do not have the resources to record videos at an acceptable quality. In fact, BDLS recorded the video; all I did was make the youtube channel. However, I was in command of a fleet of 10-15 ships engaging a fleet that size, and I have led other fleet actions since then. Most of these were sudden, providing no time to set up recording software, or nobody in the fleet had access to recording software. This is why I am relying on an audio format for the fireside chats. If you want to judge a candidate purely on their ability to record ingame footage, that's your deal. I cannot say the same for myself.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Not enough videos, 3 months out of date, case closed.
    Wow. Just wow. You're really voting for candidates based on the youtube videos they make, rather than their views and stances?

What are you really interested in more - council members that can post YouTube videos often, or council members that have views you share and want promoted? The time the council members are able to spend doing their work is irrelevant as long as they simply do it.

Perhaps you should consider voting for candidates for better reasons, come the next election.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Lets say you were on the council now. Why would you be here, and not counseling? The same goes for Youtube. If you have time to make videos, you can cut back on those and council.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429664441,1429664334][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How do get feedback, direct messaging and what, seeing what people post. If they can post that means you can get feedback, however what is the best way of showing what feedback you get, videos, sure text posts are "ok" but videos make it legit.
    You know, I really must question whether you actually believe this or whether you are just trying to troll people. On this basis a politician who has directorships at a dozen companies must be an absolutely amazing representative and Rafael Correa (president of Ecuador) must be the best president ever because he also hosts a talk show (with the fact that said talk show is generally a vehicle for him to excoriate his opponents being entirely irrelevant). I offer no opinion on whether or not Tomino_Sama et al would be good councillors, but I think (or at least hope) that they themselves would say that the reason you should vote for them is not just because they make lots of Youtube videos.

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Comr4de just seems like a cool guy. I hardly know him, but he seems quite mature and does know what he is doing. Besides, I doubt a council member really has to have a brain, he just has to transfer information, right? Like no offense or anything, but I am still not that clear as to the purpose of the council.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    but I am still not that clear as to the purpose of the council.
    I don't think anyone is, which is why the first council is so important. The people elected will have a serious impact in how it's going to work, which is why initiative is so important I feel. If the first electives just sit around and wait for Schine to start a conversation, it will be far different than say if the electives started conversations themselves.

The first time is scary in that regards.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1. The council's job is not to promote the game. Their job is to bridge communication between the existing community and the devs. They can't do both simultaneously.

2. You can actually inform yourself just as fast about new things in the game by reading the news. If you need 10 minute videos to explain every new mechanic to you, then that be it, but its not exactly a grand service to humanity.

3. Most youtubers are promoting themselves (some even at the cost of the game, because their low-quality content drives away anyone not part of the yogswarm/#REHASH generation). Anyone remember how the starmade steam page looked like on release? Dalmont is actually a rare exception as he really is a master builder.

4. A lot of time to do something =/= a good end result. I'd rather have someone with 1 hour per day and very solid technical understanding as well as human qualities on the council than someone who does videos of flying bricksticks fulltime.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Judging with the [lack of] quality of his application, I'd say that Tomino isn't taking the whole council ordeal very seriously.

The council has nothing to do with promoting the game, it's about forming a bridge between the player-base and the devs. If you're really just judging by the quantity of videos, and not their quality, then you're doing something wrong. Well, already using videos as your sole criteria is wrong, but basing it exclusively on the amount is even worse. That's just my honest opinion.

Last edited: