Hyper Space and Hyper Space Networking

Do you guys think this should be a feature. Even if it's already planned?

• Yes, I liked this. I believe it should be added.

• Yes, but it's already been planned.

• No but I wouldn't mind it.

• No never add this to the game.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    I've had this idea for a while, but I'v decided to write it down here as an actual suggestion.

The idea has already been suggested I'm also pretty sure it's already going to be an in game thing. Even so I will explain the entire as idea as if I was suggest without such prior knowledge.

So the idea is that we have jump drives that bring us multiple sectors away. Hyper Drives on the other hand would bring us not only multiple systems away, but they would also give us away to travel not one but multiple galaxies at a time. I know of multiple ways crew quarters could fit into this, but for now I will focus on the basics. You would first need a "Hyper Space Drive Computer" and many "Hyper Space Drive Modules". The amount of star/void systems you could jump would depend on your number of modules. The idea is that a capital ship could have the room to store enough modules to jump multiple galaxies at once. Maybe to prevent lag they could only jump two or more galaxies only if they had been previously discovered, or if it was coordinates given to them by a mission/quest by an npc. an important part of this would be the hyperspace animation. The animation duration would be scaled by distance. I think this would feel very immersive. even if you were only jump 10 star systems if it took longer than 30 seconds for the animation to go through I feel that it would be a lot more fun to have to do things around the ship while in hyper space. Say traveling in hyperspace to another galaxy it would take anywhere from 5-15 minutes just to go one galaxy away. The base idea is that it should actually still feel like your are taking time to get to where you want to go, but you are not controlling the ship you can go command your crew a complete other tasks while the game gets you there.

On to the next idea. This also is something that a npc could be doing. I like the idea that you could set up a hyper space network for your faction. This could be use in multiple ways. Like setting up certain resources to be automatically ship from your multiple territories to a location for assembly and then the finished product to a central trade hub. This would allow your trade ships to automatically pick up finish goods from a central hub to then be put on a trade route to say sell the items to X amount to open trade stations by players or npcs buying them for that amount higher. Also it would be the same for your trade hub to be buying from others. There would be many other way this can be used. Even as just a train of sorts. It could be used by your npcs, factions members or even players from other factions if you had so previously allowed. The networks can either be predefined for what ever reason the player chooses. or it can go to open trade ports.

I hope you liked these two ideas. I also hope to see what not only the staff think but other players as well. See you soon!

Reactions: canadianbacon
    Reaction score
    On your trading idea

I believe there is already a system planned called the great exchange. Current shops are done away with for the most part, and trade between players is managed at a central hub.

Want some hull? Put up a buy offer.

Want to sell some hull? Fill a buy offer or put it up for sale. Either way you still make cash, whether it be from NPCs or players.

Either way you could still set up a hyperspace gate network to transport good from your factory to the great exchange for sale.

Once resourcing is fixed (passive resource gains and such) I know many an enterprising player who would flood the great exchange with blocks for profit. Such a system would benefit every player.

I think that the great exchange is for more efficient than your idea.

On your hyperspace idea

I think that the point of limiting the jump drive is to keep massive battlecruisers from being everywhere at once. The limits to the current jump drive aren't that bad and you can still get around pretty easily.

Reaction score
    Well hyper
    On your trading idea

I believe there is already a system planned called the great exchange. Current shops are done away with for the most part, and trade between players is managed at a central hub.

Want some hull? Put up a buy offer.

Want to sell some hull? Fill a buy offer or put it up for sale. Either way you still make cash, whether it be from NPCs or players.

Either way you could still set up a hyperspace gate network to transport good from your factory to the great exchange for sale.

Once resourcing is fixed (passive resource gains and such) I know many an enterprising player who would flood the great exchange with blocks for profit. Such a system would benefit every player.

I think that the great exchange is for more efficient than your idea.

On your hyperspace idea

I think that the point of limiting the jump drive is to keep massive battlecruisers from being everywhere at once. The limits to the current jump drive aren't that bad and you can still get around pretty easily.

Well hyperspace is different as is needed. Jump drives are an actual thing is sci-fi. They do what they say. They are for jump small distances, plus I think Schema had this in mind when he made them. So Hyper Space Drives have been planned, but I still want to see the communities response to this idea. See the warp gates as they are don't do what we need. No matter how hard you try. You cannot make a ship that can jump to another galaxy in one go. See the jump animation is short for a reason. You aren't going anywhere far. So hyperspace for jumping to another galaxy and being able to explore and adventure further than ever before sounds fascinating to me. Also the great exchange is exactly what I meant. Only mine has some extra things. Like just transporting your own npcs bases on their ai or maybe a lua scrip you found here or a friend made. Plus being able to set automatic everything sounds awesome to me. Just have your npcs mine an entire system and transport that systems goods to another station for assembly in a factory. then take it back to your trade port.

Reaction score
    Well hyper

Well hyperspace is different as is needed. Jump drives are an actual thing is sci-fi. They do what they say. They are for jump small distances, plus I think Schema had this in mind when he made them. So Hyper Space Drives have been planned, but I still want to see the communities response to this idea. See the warp gates as they are don't do what we need. No matter how hard you try. You cannot make a ship that can jump to another galaxy in one go. See the jump animation is short for a reason. You aren't going anywhere far. So hyperspace for jumping to another galaxy and being able to explore and adventure further than ever before sounds fascinating to me. Also the great exchange is exactly what I meant. Only mine has some extra things. Like just transporting your own npcs bases on their ai or maybe a lua scrip you found here or a friend made. Plus being able to set automatic everything sounds awesome to me. Just have your npcs mine an entire system and transport that systems goods to another station for assembly in a factory. then take it back to your trade port.

Again, I'm sure these limits to the jumps drives are completely intentional to prevent players from taking their battlecruisers across the galaxy in half a second.

How do you transport an NPC base?

I'm not at all against the idea of having AI miners or even LUA scripts. However I don't think any of the other frills are necessary for a working trade system. Hpyerspace gates exist, there's no point in setting up these trade ports when you can just hyperspace gate your massive freighter right to the great exchange and sell everything right away for straight cash. There's no point in adding a feature nobody will use.

Reaction score
    I'm not sure you get that a lot of people would use this. There are lot of people that don't hae
    Again, I'm sure these limits to the jumps drives are completely intentional to prevent players from taking their battlecruisers across the galaxy in half a second.

How do you transport an NPC base?

I'm not at all against the idea of having AI miners or even LUA scripts. However I don't think any of the other frills are necessary for a working trade system. Hpyerspace gates exist, there's no point in setting up these trade ports when you can just hyperspace gate your massive freighter right to the great exchange and sell everything right away for straight cash. There's no point in adding a feature nobody will use.

I know a lot of people who would. Not that that matters. No the whole jump limitations have been put there for that fact they are jump drives not hyper drives. Plus I'm not saying make it easy to do this. I would want it to be a challenge to get the resources to make a capital ship that can do this. Plus if you have hyperspace you can escape. It's not as overpowered as you'd think. I'm not sure why you are against this idea so much. I'm to tired to make a convincing argument right now. I also meant to transport an npc between bases. There would be a lot of uses for this too. Not everyone has enough friends to manage an entire faction by themselves. I being one of them. So making features that are already planned more diverse is a good idea. All I'm trying to say is I know that a lot of people don't have the time to dedicate 24/7 to this game added this feature would help them. Also not gonna lie myself included.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1452602264,1452602098][/DOUBLEPOST]Also it's seems you have a huge bias on this. As if you personally would be in trouble if someone were to do this to you. What I was trying to do with this post was to have people come up with their own ways they would want to enhance the hyper drive feature as well. I didn't want anyone to have a debate here just a collection of ideas. Instead why don't you leave it to the other people on the forums to come on here and display their ideas.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Just allow one way/ longer jumps on warp gates.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This isn't how the 'great exchange' will work. The GE isn't an actual physical location. Think craigslist. You post your buy/sell request, but the actual goods will have to still be transported to/from your base/shop.
    Also, iirc, while the devs have expressed interest it has not been specifically confirmed.

However, Schema has confirmed that he wants to have NPCs transporting goods. As always, the details are still sketchy, but he talked about it a bit in his recent interview. His example was NPCs transporting mined resources back to your base, but I think the premiss still applies.

As for hyperspace, as described, I think this would conflict a bit with the existing technologies. If a minumum distance was added, then I think it would fit in. Like, one computer and one module and you will jump at least 128 systems. Useful only for long distance travel and not exactly pin-point accurate.

You used the term 'hyper space network', this makes me think of wormholes and such and I'm not sure I understood it. This seems to conflict with the first idea. Maybe you just meant player defined routes using hyperspace?

$0.02

Reaction score
    Yes I meant predefined. Destinations to say a specific block. Also hyperspace is something completely different than short range jumping. I know for a fact that Schema is this smart and had this in mind.