How would a Homeworld RTS controls fit in this game?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As this game refines its building tools and moves towards larger scale interactions between fleets and factions I'm wondering if a homeworld like RTS style control mode would be advantageous for fleets. By this I mean that players who occupy a flagship in a fleet could enter a 'Command mode' like build mode or flight mode where they would be given a view of the sector with their ships as RTS style units. These could be given move orders and attack orders much in the same way an Homeworld works. Players could would be given access to the hotbar that would say use these weapons on this enemy by clicks. I feel this would add depth to engagements as players would be able to command more than one vessel effectively.

I've added a link to the suggestion thread:
    Homeworld RTS like controls for fleets and stations

Last edited:

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    the game "From the depths" has besides the normal controls RTS style controls available for fleet movement and it works pretty good.

I can see something like that could work pretty well in Starmade

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    the game "From the depths" has besides the normal controls RTS style controls available for fleet movement and it works pretty good.

I never noticed this game. I might have to pick this up and try it. From the videos i've looked at that is exactly what I'm talking about.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just a random idea regarding the rts controls:
    Bind them in with the planned Capitalship mechanics aka. having a block on your capitalship that allows access to the rts controls, like a tactic console of some sort

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just a random idea regarding the rts controls:
    Bind them in with the planned Capitalship mechanics aka. having a block on your capitalship that allows access to the rts controls, like a tactic console of some sort
    Instead of a block, I think it would be best a mode accessable to the flagship of a fleet. Could you imagine having multiple ships with command over a fleet? It would be a nightmare figuring out which one has priority.
    [doublepost=1484775372,1484775244][/doublepost]

DukeofRealms is that informative tag an indication of things to come?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not really, never played the game, interested in seeing how they do it.
    Maybe this could be thought on a bit then. It would make fleet battles way more interesting, as players can take the roll of an admiral or a pilot. That would fit in with Starmade's scalabilty theme but this time in terms of command not just blocks. I'm not sure of the programing road blocks that would need to be overcome but it seems like a framework already exists. I could imagine this being difficult over sector boundaries. Maybe check out Void Destroyer. They have the ability to pilot individual ships as well as command a fleet.

Reactions: DukeofRealms
    Reaction score
    I could see this in the galaxy map,having the controls streamlined into it, instead of manually inputting locations.. given it already gives readout of fleet positions, I sub sector 16x16 readout would be nice for more percision. I guess the Best question I'd ask is will the galaxy map get a overhaul and be streamlined with fleet controls better?