How to use Crew

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So Crew is pretty limited right now, But I am just wondering everything I can do with Crew, and how to do it.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So Crew is pretty limited right now, But I am just wondering everything I can do with Crew, and how to do it.
    As TheDerpGamerX said, crew are a broken/incomplete feature.

As far as their usefulness, only one thing comes to mind; Soldiers.

They can serve as very clumsy guards in places that are too small to fit anti-personnel turrets or even clumsier away team members for covert station boarding missions (I say 'stations' because no ship will ever stay still long enough for crew to enter). They are armed with a laser pistol and are rather tanky for astronauts; having 300 health as opposed to your 120. They don't seem to regenerate but you can probably heal them with your medical beam. It's been a while since I last hired crew but IIRC, you can have 5 crew with you at once and they can be set to follow you, hold position or leave/join your party. Whatever you do, don't try to put them in gravity or they may glitch out (more so than usual) and literally fall out of the game forever.

If you can get them to your base, crew might actually be a viable defense option for small doors and hallways but for larger areas like docking bays, I find that tanks and "space marines" are a far more effective anti-personnel system. YMMV...
    Mini-mechs.jpg

Edit: As per the Wiki article, your party limit is 5 and you can station crew at a location by removing them from your team. Theoretically, you can have quite a few of these guys guarding your base, although it may induce lag if they are moving around.

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As TheDerpGamerX said, crew are a broken/incomplete feature.

As far as their usefulness, only one thing comes to mind; Soldiers.

They can serve as very clumsy guards in places that are too small to fit anti-personnel turrets or even clumsier away team members for covert station boarding missions (I say 'stations' because no ship will ever stay still long enough for crew to enter). They are armed with a laser pistol and are rather tanky for astronauts; having 300 health as opposed to your 120. They don't seem to regenerate but you can probably heal them with your medical beam. It's been a while since I last hired crew but IIRC, you can have 5 crew with you at once and they can be set to follow you, hold position or leave/join your party. Whatever you do, don't try to put them in gravity or they may glitch out (more so than usual) and literally fall out of the game forever.

If you can get them to your base, crew might actually be a viable defense option for small doors and hallways but for larger areas like docking bays, I find that tanks and "space marines" are a far more effective anti-personnel system. YMMV...
    View attachment 50473

Edit: As per the Wiki article, your party limit is 5 and you can station crew at a location by removing them from your team. Theoretically, you can have quite a few of these guys guarding your base, although it may induce lag if they are moving around.
    Thanks. How Do i get crew to follow me and how do I get them to stay in my ship when my ship is moving?

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thanks. How Do i get crew to follow me and how do I get them to stay in my ship when my ship is moving?
    You can make them follow you when you "talk to them" (the "R" key I believe) It's one of the options in their dialogue menu.

Transporting them via ship is tricky; since it involves the command; creature_enter_gravity. This command acts like the grappling and alignment system for player astronauts but can cause crew to glitch out and endlessly fall. Also, you may lose the when you jump or otherwise, change sectors.

From what I've read, the most reliable way to get base guards is to go to the place you want them stationed and use the admin command; /spawn_creature. A crew member will spawn near you.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You can make them follow you when you "talk to them" (the "R" key I believe) It's one of the options in their dialogue menu.

Transporting them via ship is tricky; since it involves the command; creature_enter_gravity. This command acts like the grappling and alignment system for player astronauts but can cause crew to glitch out and endlessly fall. Also, you may lose the when you jump or otherwise, change sectors.

From what I've read, the most reliable way to get base guards is to go to the place you want them stationed and use the admin command; /spawn_creature. A crew member will spawn near you.
    The only command i saw when i hit r on them was the get on team or leave team button.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The only command i saw when i hit r on them was the get on team or leave team button.
    No. For gravity and spawning, you need to use the admin commands. You know; the ones where you type in commands using a command-line-interface (MS DOS style)

Reactions: JumpSuit
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Admin commands are, at this stage, definately the only way to get any use out of Crews...
    Hiring them works fine, but transporting them is a nightmare, they hate sector changes and can only move to a new sector painstakingly meter for meter, and eventually just dissappear...

However using Admin commands can get the full spectrum of what is, in its current state, possible....

It seems they need to be attached to something to survive longer periods of time, I recommend seating them behind a desk.
    You can also create a LUA script and modify it to suit your needs, i.e. give them the text you want, this works quite well and is not that hard.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No. For gravity and spawning, you need to use the admin commands. You know; the ones where you type in commands using a command-line-interface (MS DOS style)
    Yeah I know. The problem is I am in multiplayer and I am not an admin

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Can you make the crew sit? That'd be a way to make them stay still when the ship jumps.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Can you make the crew sit? That'd be a way to make them stay still when the ship jumps.
    I think you can but you may need admin commands or access to the server files. Neither of which I have.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I think you can but you may need admin commands or access to the server files. Neither of which I have.
    Here are the main crew admin commands; sit and stand included. Credit goes to MeepMoop for posting them in another thread.
    • creature_animation_start
      • DESCRIPTION: forces an animation for a creature
      • PARAMETERS: Animation(String), LoopMode(String), Speed(Float), FullBody(Boolean)
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_animation_start TALK_SALUTE loop/dont_loop 1 true/false
    • creature_animation_stop
      • DESCRIPTION: stops the forced animation
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_animation_stop
    • creature_enter_gravity
      • DESCRIPTION: debug for gravity on AI creature
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_enter_gravity
    • creature_goto
      • DESCRIPTION: order selected to go to
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_goto
    • creature_idle
      • DESCRIPTION: makes the select one idle
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_idle
    • creature_rename
      • DESCRIPTION: Renames the selected creature or AI character
      • PARAMETERS: Name(String)
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_rename ACreature
    • creature_roam
      • DESCRIPTION: makes the select one roam in a small space
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_roam
    • creature_script
      • DESCRIPTION: sets the creature to a script in /data/scripts/
      • PARAMETERS: Script(String)
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_script MyScript.lua
    • creature_sit
      • DESCRIPTION: order selected to sit down
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_sit
    • creature_stand_up
      • DESCRIPTION: order selected to stand up from sitting
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /creature_stand_up

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    If you can make them sit on wedges or blocks, they should be okay if your ship moves.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    If you can make them sit on wedges or blocks, they should be okay if your ship moves.
    It's possible but the sector change may still cause issues.

In any case, OfficialCoding's concern is that he does not have admin rights to the server to make crew do these things. He can try asking an admin but there's now telling how patient they'll be with something like that; with it being RP-related.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Ah, well, that is the fly in the ointment, isn't it?