How to toggle a turret on or off via remote - my solution

Reaction score
    Okay I just found out that you can prevent a turret from moving with a door. So if you have the door closed it is basically "deactivated", and if the door is open the turret is "activated". Even though it still fires if there are targets in its sight angle.

Not totally reliable and might get buggy by changes in future updates, but hey! For me it is a big benefit.

Pls correct me, if this is allready known. Then I am sorry for making another thread about it. I did not find a solution via goole. 20160626200254_1.jpg

Reactions: Agame3 and Valck

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Great. Starmade has now turned into Galactic door-stop simulator! This place used to be cool....I am soooooo out of here :mad: (slam).

...but seriously that is a cool work-around JinM. :D

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    you can deactivate and activate all ai in turrets by looking for it in the menu that comes up when you press the delete key, along with viewing detailed stats for most of the things on a ship. 20160626194714_1.jpg

Reaction score
    you can deactivate and activate all ai in turrets by looking for it in the menu that comes up when you press the delete key, along with viewing detailed stats for most of the things on a ship.View attachment 28147
    ... but with a single activator that's on your hotbar it only takes a fraction of the time you need to open the menu, find the entry for the Turret Docking System Collective, and accidentally undock all turrets instead.

The downside is possibly massive collision lag.

Reaction score
    If you guys would know. I dream about so many possibilities right now. I mean every ship has a limitation for his weapon use by its power generation. Sure you allways can put the power generators into the turrets and put those here and there - but that only increases the weight. But if you can deactivate the turrets, you can for example use the power for another big ass super gun, that does need fully charged capacitors. Or you can activate 5 power drain turrets with a one second delay from each other, so they constantly drain one enemy ship instead of draining it all at once.

Imho emp turrets are only usefull if they are chaining their drain. I just now try to build a fighter that fights against missile loaded fighters by emp-beam their energy from 1.5 sectors distance, and using the remaining energy for a cannon-beam main weapon. In the end I try to make a long-range emp sniper. I tried to use the slow effect too, but its not very efficient power to effect vise.

But actually I am surprised that this is still unknown. That idea could've come to anyones mind.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    But another problem: You have to go to that menu anyway, to reset turret orientations. If you don't, the turrets aren't going to work.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's probable that the the devs would be open to making this a game mechanic, such as using an inner ship remote to control a turret's status via logic. High signal going to turret docker would be on, and a low signal would be off. I'll make a thread if nobody else does.

But yeah, this solution you posted would only be really useful if the turrets were in their default positions anyways. Otherwise it would cause significant lag.

Reaction score
    I finish the ship and then you see it yourself that it should work. Maybe I am wrong, but that I will find out soon. =)

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    But another problem: You have to go to that menu anyway, to reset turret orientations. If you don't, the turrets aren't going to work.
    Actually when clipped by doors and not attempting to face a target turret rotors will randomly snap back to their default positions so presumably if he waits long enough they will all go back to their default positions.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    We should be able to use rails to move turrets from standard rails to a turret dock, and be able to turn a turret dock into a standard rail to move a turret off of a turret dock (aka turning it off).
    It would be nifty.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    We should be able to use rails to move turrets from standard rails to a turret dock, and be able to turn a turret dock into a standard rail to move a turret off of a turret dock (aka turning it off).
    It would be nifty.
    interestingly this was possible back in the dev builds before rails were released. I was sad when this feature did not make it into the final version. I have a lot of ideas that depend rail turret axises turning into another rail block

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    EMP can be very, very powerful.
    However it tends to be more suited to larger ships housing multiple reactors to power the emp turrets.

Reaction score
    you can deactivate and activate all ai in turrets by looking for it in the menu that comes up when you press the delete key, along with viewing detailed stats for most of the things on a ship.View attachment 28147
    I combined this solution with mine. You can block a turret and then reset all turret axis on a ship. So you can actually do some really nice stuff with that 2 things. Like:
    Putting a turret on a static rail (the turret is designed to face upwards in its resetted position, so it can move out of a lifting hole).
    Block it with a door block that is connected to the static-rail-base.
    Move the turret up out of its save zone in the ship via the static rail.
    Have the door block opened after the turret is extended.

To move the turret inside: Close the door block, reset turret axis, move the rail docker back down into the ship.