How to they do it?

Reaction score
    Long story short i love starmade and often find my self slow boating from ship to ship, most notably when i'm working on my Carrier Project, where i need to constantly get into the fighters as well as all the rail docked arms and other parts. but im my efforts to make this behemoth of a ship i of course look to youtube for any tips or trick i can find to make my life a bit easier. But i've noticed some inconsistencies depending on which video i'm watching and who's channel it actually is. i know there are a ton of mods out there but i havent been able to find the ones i'm looking for.

I frankly here's what they're doing that i would like to do.

1. Short range "enter ship" teleport. im some videos i've seen the player simply target an unoccupied ship and instantly teleport to them as if they entered them. while i know there are console commands for teleporting TO a ship but i haven't found one that simply puts u in the ship from a distance. not to mention that in the videos i've seen this the transition is instantaneous, so i assume they're using some sort of hot key.

and
    2. More than 10x10x10 multi-block selection. only thing i've heard about this is that it requires some sort of cheat engine, but i either haven't been able to find one or and any guides on how to use one. if possible i'd rather not use a cheat engine. i'm not playing on any community servers so even if i do end up using one it won't really hurt anything though.

if you guys could help me out and point me in the right direction that'd be great!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    1. It's TAB - F8. I wondered how to do this for quite awhile too. :p
    -
    2. It doesn't require a cheat engine, it's merely altering one value in the server.cfg file. Every world you have in singleplayer is basically just a server confined to your computer, so every world file will have a server.cfg file. If you have trouble finding it, just search for "server.cfg" in your Starmade folder with your file explorer.
    -
    Find "PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA", it's close the middle but more towards the bottom of the file. Change the number from 10 to whatever size you want! Personally, I have mine on 50 so I can place large lines if I need to but still be able to easily find the smaller numbers.
    -
    EDIT: Oops, never mind, every world does NOT have its own server.cfg file, there is only one in your Starmade folder regardless of how many worlds you have. Derp on my part.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Tab+F8 requires admin access. you already have that in your singleplayer.

Reaction score
    -
    2. It doesn't require a cheat engine, it's merely altering one value in the server.cfg file. Every world you have in singleplayer is basically just a server confined to your computer, so every world file will have a server.cfg file. If you have trouble finding it, just search for "server.cfg" in your Starmade folder with your file explorer.
    -
    Find "PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA", it's close the middle but more towards the bottom of the file. Change the number from 10 to whatever size you want! Personally, I have mine on 50 so I can place large lines if I need to but still be able to easily find the smaller numbers.
    -
    EDIT: Oops, never mind, every world does NOT have its own server.cfg file, there is only one in your Starmade folder regardless of how many worlds you have. Derp on my part.

THANK YOU!

i knew there was a hot key for it!

also thanks on the config edit, i thought that was how you'd go about it but i read on some other forum about the cheat engine. guess i was mistaken.

Reaction score
    While we are at it, in another video I saw somebody changing the orientation of a railblock with TAB + 3 I think instead of deleting it and replacing, which I havent seen in any control menu before. Personally the way rotating works ( or at least how I am aware of doing it by holding ctrl + mousewheel ) is rather tedious for me.

Is there a list of all these TAB/Building commands that could make building in this game easier ?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    While we are at it, in another video I saw somebody changing the orientation of a railblock with TAB + 3 I think instead of deleting it and replacing, which I havent seen in any control menu before. Personally the way rotating works ( or at least how I am aware of doing it by holding ctrl + mousewheel ) is rather tedious for me.

Is there a list of all these TAB/Building commands that could make building in this game easier ?
    There's no list of all the TAB commands, those are meant for developers and testers but it seems the frequently used TAB commands are known by the public.

Tab + 3 and Tab + 4 both rotate the block you're looking at. Other than that I don't know any Tab command that could somehow simplify building.