How to make NPC Factions at War w/eachother?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Concerning the new NPC Faction update; I am hoping someone knows how to force NPC Factions permanently (even temporarily will do for now) go to war with each other... also, hopefully, how to force permanent peace with a player faction. For RP purposes. Is it in their configs, would it be an admin command, or something else? Or is it even possible yet? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I dont know about doing it via config but I know you can trigger a war by getting a ship from faction a to shoot a ship from faction b

Reactions: Rissaach
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I guess that might work... as admin, jump into an NPC faction's ship and attack their "natural RP enemy"... Are you sure that won't just make them go at war with me rather than the target NPC faction?

Reaction score
    I'm not sure 100% if that would work, but IIRC entering a ship like that basically treats you as if you are apart of that faction

how I did it was spawn in a bunch of ships belonging to each faction and then spawn BPs with pulse/no weapons assigned to the pirate faction

Generally what would happen is the pirate BPs would effectively get super close to the NPC faction ships and eventually a ship from one faction would accidentally shoot the opposing fac's ship while trying to get the pirate and trigger the war state

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like that idea. It's so crazy it just might work! lol

Nice way around it until there is another simpler way. Thanks!

Reaction score
    You can always admin change yourself to the NPC faction to do the war starting, then change back...I think that should work

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wasn't aware we could join an NPC faction, even as admin. To be fair, I haven't tried either.

I just realized I have to resave all my blueprints with a classification for the NPC factions to spawn them... I just finish trying to create two custom NPC factions, but they don't even show up on the faction list. I'm guessing it is because they don't have the properly updated blueprints to spawn yet... I'll test your guys' ideas as soon as I get that done.

Does anyone know if custom NPC factions need one blueprint of each classification type in order to spawn? Or do they just need something/anything to spawn?

Reaction score
    Easy peasy.. :)

Code:
    faction_mod_relation

DESCRIPTION: sets relation of two factions
    PARAMETERS: FactionID(Integer), FactionID(Integer), enemy/ally/neutral(String)
    EXAMPLE: /faction_mod_relation 1001 1002 enemy
    So to set the outcasts at war with the scavengers:

Code:
    /faction_mod_relation -9999999 -9999998 enemy
    I think this will probably reset fairly quickly though, as the factions are currently designed to accept peace treaties pretty quickly and often offer them to each other, even when they never seemed to be at war.

Anyway, give it a try and let us know how it goes! :)

Also, if the factions aren't spawning for you, check out this thread: Is the new Faction/fleet stuff broken on Linux?

IDK if that will help, but the trick worked for me.... Also, the NPC factions only spawn on new world startup. You have to give a command if you want them to spawn in an existing world. HTH!

Cheers,
    CS

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Easy peasy.. :)

Code:
    faction_mod_relation

DESCRIPTION: sets relation of two factions
    PARAMETERS: FactionID(Integer), FactionID(Integer), enemy/ally/neutral(String)
    EXAMPLE: /faction_mod_relation 1001 1002 enemy
    So to set the outcasts at war with the scavengers:

Code:
    /faction_mod_relation -9999999 -9999998 enemy
    That's what I was looking for, thanks! Perhaps there is a way to extend their periods of wartime in their configs? Either way, that is most helpful now, thank you!

Also, the NPC factions only spawn on new world startup. You have to give a command if you want them to spawn in an existing world.
    What is the command to spawn custom NPC factions into an existing world?

Reaction score
    Also, the NPC factions only spawn on new world startup. You have to give a command if you want them to spawn in an existing world. HTH!
    Not the case for my local universes, nor the server I'm on: existing universes automatically have NPC factions inserted into them
    (I'm pretty sure there was something in the new announcement that also confirms this)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Found the other command I was looking for... it was on the update page. lol: npc_spawn_faction

Reactions: cubesteak
    Reaction score
    Also, the NPC factions only spawn on new world startup. You have to give a command if you want them to spawn in an existing world.
    Actually, in my single player world they spawned just fine, and I've been running that world for the last 3 updates.

On the other hand, on three different servers I've been to, the NPC factions would not spawn. (this may be due to them being run on Linux. I know one was, as it had just switched to Linux the day before)
    This may be a bug relating specifically to multiplayer, since multiplayer does things a little differently than singleplayer. (a little, but it may be just enough)

Last edited: