How to: bigger projects

Reaction score
    # I write this "low effort guide" because I have seen many bigger projects being given up in Starmade after around 2 months. Just do yourself a favour and take my advices seriously: Before you go big, finish some smaller projects that take not more than one month. It allawys makes me sad when people have to abandon projects due to some basic faults.

I have seen quite some wip projects floating around that never got finished, and barely reached the 50% waypoint.

Prominent ones are Micromade and this one big shipyard with the many many lights in it that were docked and could be turned on and off via remote logic.

Straight to the point: If you guys didn't do at least two smaller projects in Starmade before, just start with small projects and archieve your big project idea until you know that you will do it. Small projects are usually finished after 1 week or need up to one or two months.

Yes a big goal can be very motivating, but around 90% of people that start with a huge project first do never finish it. And do you think you are the guy belonging to the 10% that are outstandingly good in self organization?

It's also very usefull to ask for help - if you have a long term project that takes you more than two months, you could invest like one hour to make a clear project presentation for people that should help you. So they know what you want for a buildstyle and what small projects they can add to your build. If your project takes longer than 3 months you can allready take it into your planning and brainstorming scetchup on how to add helpers, and where people can help you.

It's not enough if you say "you can build the cellar of my station", or just show the project showcase page and expect people to be interested into helping you! A good example is to advertise for help in a seperate helper request part of your showcase page, that has all neccessary information in one glance for people that check out your showcase:
    • I really would appreciate helpers for my project: The bottom decks of my station are for maintenance and power machines, like O2 generators. (what parts of the bigger project are open for help).
    • The floor layout is allready planned, and I want a reactor of at least 50m diameter in a 100m big room, supported by energy beams that keep the reactor afloat. (you must give clear guidelines on A style, and B what you envision as scetchup - be it in words or a self drawn floor plan).
    • You could place the floors, or you could design some props that are in the reactor room and the floors, or you design the interiour of some of the smaller rooms. (Give your helpers many small and some bigger parts to choose from).
    • If you can show me some pictures of your recent builds I also would be very glad to let you design the whole area, but I am very happy even if you only want to design me one or two hallways. (Never give big responsibilities to people that don't prove their capabilities - some dude with 3 months experience in Starmade might only waste your time - its better to let such guys only do a small part first and if the work is good give him bigger parts - this benefits booth sides: you get finished parts and can plan precisely, your helper feel aknowledged and your gratefullness because they are able to deliver without failing any promisses they cant keep (often to a lack of knowledge about big projects).

Most important advice: Never let anyone talk you down in your dreams. If some dude comes around and wants to give you some "usefull" advice to not do such big project at all - ignore him. Big projects take time. Writting project ideas in a brainstorming book and testing the game first is part of doing your long term projects. You don't give up on a project if you keep working on the finer details and planning, and start with small learning projects first.

Good learning projects are small projects that require each a part of the neccessary knowledge for that big project you dream of. For example micromade could have made some smaller server first that only has some small modifications running, and these modifactions are testing ones each realising one core gamemechanic of the server, for example spawning npc ships or resupplying trade stations...

I hope this advices help some players here, and that I see less project pages being abandoned in the future. :)

TL;DR: If you plan on doing a big project, make sure that you finished at least two small projects and one medium project first, and that you allready know that your big project is in fact possible (instead of creating a server and recognising after 3 months that Starmade doesn't support modding as you need it for your project, or building a titan and after 3 months your realise that you simply can't farm all the ressources on a survival server and can't require your faction leader that he frees all ressources just for your own demands).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    What would you consider a small ship/project?
    I am looking into getting back into SM, and desperately need practice. After all this time I have yet to really decide on a functional armor architecture. Interiors could use work too, but not sure if that is too big to start with?

Reaction score
    What would you consider a small ship/project?
    I am looking into getting back into SM, and desperately need practice. After all this time I have yet to really decide on a functional armor architecture. Interiors could use work too, but not sure if that is too big to start with?
    I think for starters any ship that you can finish within 5 gameplay sessions is a good starter project. That means a ship below 50m.

If you are really really new just start off with a 12x7x7 jump ship and then build a miner thats 12x7x7 and then build a miner that 30x20x20. You will allready recognise that you need around one hour to finish this 3 ships. Thats what I did. The 12m long ships are for getting started on servers right on spawning. Then I jump around comfortably and after a little search for a good station spot I spawn in either the station directly from the stuff gathered with my small starter miner, or I mine for the tier 2 miner.

Another good starting project is a small starting station around 50x50x50 with only 100enhancers for each factory and a small 300 block reactor. This way you have a nice starting post to mine for the big station. Or you make this starting station extendable into all directions and use it as universal "factory hearth".

Reactions: TungstenWall

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I think for starters any ship that you can finish within 5 gameplay sessions is a good starter project. That means a ship below 50m.

If you are really really new just start off with a 12x7x7 jump ship and then build a miner thats 12x7x7 and then build a miner that 30x20x20. You will allready recognise that you need around one hour to finish this 3 ships. Thats what I did. The 12m long ships are for getting started on servers right on spawning. Then I jump around comfortably and after a little search for a good station spot I spawn in either the station directly from the stuff gathered with my small starter miner, or I mine for the tier 2 miner.

Another good starting project is a small starting station around 50x50x50 with only 100enhancers for each factory and a small 300 block reactor. This way you have a nice starting post to mine for the big station. Or you make this starting station extendable into all directions and use it as universal "factory hearth".
    you really make it sound like you put everyone into the same small box, people build differently at very different speeds and in different styles.
    Your 50m ship can take you 5 hours while it might take 10 for me and then 20 for Ithirahad (because organic).

It's true it's better to practice with small ships but you really cant put a set time down on how long a ship should take to build.

And actually planning out your builds helps a lot, especially with big ships, make smaller versions of them and then scale up.

Stop putting numbers on everything, you dont look smart with them. it's just silly. Especially with such specific numbers that you are using.

Reaction score
    you really make it sound like you put everyone into the same small box, people build differently at very different speeds and in different styles.
    Your 50m ship can take you 5 hours while it might take 10 for me and then 20 for Ithirahad (because organic).

It's true it's better to practice with small ships but you really cant put a set time down on how long a ship should take to build.

And actually planning out your builds helps a lot, especially with big ships, make smaller versions of them and then scale up.

Stop putting numbers on everything, you dont look smart with them. it's just silly. Especially with such specific numbers that you are using.
    Thats why I said in my first sentence "a ship that can be finished within 5 gameplay sessions is a good project for you as starter". Right in the first sentence. ;)

Last edited:

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Thats why I said in my first sentence "a ship that can be finished within 5 gameplay sessions is a good project for beginners". Right in the first sentence. ;)
    5 sessions of 1 hour each?
    you might as well have left that part out.

Reaction score
    5 sessions of 1 hour each?
    you might as well have left that part out.
    What would you say is a good guiding advice for Tungsten? I think he allready knows how to build ships and is not a beginner, but he wants to get back into the game and is a starter regarding to "bigger projects".

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    What would you say is a good guiding advice for Tungsten? I think he allready knows how to build ships and is not a beginner, but he wants to get back into the game and is a starter regarding to "bigger projects".
    Make a plan
    Make a miniature version
    lay out the basic shape, refine if needed
    Add the sides and slowly make the large detailing
    go down to the smaller details

Avoid sitting in one area all the time, switch around on the build. makes things more interesting and you dont get tunnel visioned and end up making mistakes

And abuse the hell out of copy/paste

Reaction score
    Make a plan
    Make a miniature version
    lay out the basic shape, refine if needed
    Add the sides and slowly make the large detailing
    go down to the smaller details

Avoid sitting in one area all the time, switch around on the build. makes things more interesting and you dont get tunnel visioned and end up making mistakes

And abuse the hell out of copy/paste
    Allright that are good advices.

And regarding to the size of his project? I mean he asked about the size, not about how to build. And this guide is also about size not about technique.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Allright that are good advices.

And regarding to the size of his project? I mean he asked about the size, not about how to build. And this guide is also about size not about technique.
    anything below 8km as starmade cant handle more than that, it's really up to him.
    From personal experience, 1km is difficult to work with, so I probably wouldnt go higher than that.
    But again depends on what it is he wants to build and what his plan is. The bigger it is the more challenging.

For getting back into SM I'd probably start with a fighter sized ship, or in general anything less than about 100-150m in lenght. but thats out from my own building style and speed.