How exactly do slaved weapons affect damage?

Nxn

Reaction score
    Thread title.

I was thinking about a way to have no gaps in salvage lasers/lasers/missiles and thought about using slaves to boost the damage up to something like a full 200 block system. Think something like a skewed hexagon with the number of modules in rows going 3, 5, 7, 5, 3, and the adjacent weapons are offset like double waffles.

So since the number of blocks for the main gun is 23, does that mean that the total dps is limited to 23 + 100% slave + 100% effect?. Can I increase the dps by doing something stupid such as putting 500% slave blocks to bring my dps in line with a 150 block weapon? I'd mostly be doing this for aesthetic, but I do want to at least bash some pirate bases over the head.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    100% is the max on slaves and effects, technically each weapon module in a given system (main, slave or effect) adds 10 dps for 100 power/sec

Secondaries generally let you mess with the damage per hit (i want this 45 block/450 dps weapon to do 150-160 damage per hit so it can bust through hull with AHP on it, so I'll use the % ratio on my secondary to give me that)

Effects let you mess with how much damage they will apply under certain conditions (I want this 45 block/450 dps/150-160 per hit weapon to do more damage to unshielded blocks without increasing the block count, so I'll use punch-through to give me up to 50% more damage per hit against blocks, or piercing to get up to 50% reduction on the damage required to break the intitial armor layer)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Only 50% on pierce? One armour layer isn't much on a 200m thick ship so it equates to about 1/4 of 50% vs 4 layers.

Nxn

Reaction score
    So with a YouTube video I saw that was a few months old, it too explained that for every block (main/slave/effect) adds 10 dps for 100 eps. That video shows this by making 1/1 weapons (1 main block and one slave block) and showing that after accounting for reload speed change it is indeed +10 dps when you add the slave.

So what you're saying is that because 100% is the max, if I made a weapon that was 1 main/2 slave it would still be only 20 dps?

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Only 50% on pierce? One armour layer isn't much on a 200m thick ship so it equates to about 1/4 of 50% vs 4 layers.
    Yeah, it did have an unintended 50% system HP bonus, but that's been removed, now pierce is shite compared to PT even without the ridiculous shield dmg penalty for cannons & beams :'(

Maybe if that armor were THAT worth ignoring. maybe..

So what you're saying is that because 100% is the max, if I made a weapon that was 1 main/2 slave it would still be only 20 dps?
    Yep, slave & effect blocks past 100% will be non functional

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Thread title.

I was thinking about a way to have no gaps in salvage lasers/lasers/missiles and thought about using slaves to boost the damage up to something like a full 200 block system. Think something like a skewed hexagon with the number of modules in rows going 3, 5, 7, 5, 3, and the adjacent weapons are offset like double waffles.

So since the number of blocks for the main gun is 23, does that mean that the total dps is limited to 23 + 100% slave + 100% effect?. Can I increase the dps by doing something stupid such as putting 500% slave blocks to bring my dps in line with a 150 block weapon? I'd mostly be doing this for aesthetic, but I do want to at least bash some pirate bases over the head.
    Posted this the other day is is fairly simple. Nothing hard to do.
    Anyone stack weapons groups like this

Nxn

Reaction score
    I actually saw that thread before posting, but from your pictures it wasn't very clear how you had set up the systems. That's why I decided to see if you could replicate that without all of the confusing block placement.

I actually did it and I'm amazed I didn't mess up, but damn, the block count for the weapon can get way out of hand before you know it. I started out with a 9x9 opening on a new ship, and was going to keep the main block count low so it doesn't drain all of my power. An hour of block placing later, the system, slave, and effect have a combined block total of 2000...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I actually saw that thread before posting, but from your pictures it wasn't very clear how you had set up the systems. That's why I decided to see if you could replicate that without all of the confusing block placement.
    I agree on you both
    I have done this way earlier, but wasn't happy with how the game handles weapon-output when you edit arrays.
    Maybe that has been fixed but it's still not perfect as long as the game doesn't highlight the output like an active logic block.

But my goal was to have multiple mining-gate inline (where you send asteroids through by docking your ship to rails near the asteroid first)
    ---#------#-
    --##-----##-
    -# #----# #-- «««
    # _#---# _#- «««««
    #¯ #---#¯ #- «««««
    # #----# #--- «««
    ##-----##---
    #------#----
    »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

You could make following gates smaller than the first, because some part of the asteroid got eaten away already.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I agree on you both
    I have done this way earlier, but wasn't happy with how the game handles weapon-output when you edit arrays.
    Maybe that has been fixed but it's still not perfect as long as the game doesn't highlight the output like an active logic block.

But my goal was to have multiple mining-gate inline (where you send asteroids through by docking your ship to rails near the asteroid first)
    ---#------#-
    --##-----##-
    -# #----# #-- «««
    # _#---# _#- «««««
    #¯ #---#¯ #- «««««
    # #----# #--- «««
    ##-----##---
    #------#----
    »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

You could make following gates smaller than the first, because some part of the asteroid got eaten away already.
    Seems like the one aspect of the game working right at present is mining. Yay I can make a large garbage collection vehicle and suck up astroids and planet. Boo when I am done I won't have anything worth building because the power system was broken

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    In terms of block efficiency, it seems as if you want to avoid using too many secondary blocks.
    E.g, for a canon-cannon adding more to the secodary doesn't increase the dps-it just splits it up into smaller bits and fires more often.
    Most tertiary blocks do add more dps however, thus for cannons there doesn't seem to be any reason to use secondaries very much as your just wasting a whole lot of block space to change how your weapon fires, not your dps.

Reaction score
    That's not true, Dire Venom. Secondaries increase your damage per second at the same rate as primaries and tertiaries; it's just that they also change your damage per shot, which obscures the difference somewhat.

For example, a single cannon deals 10 damage every second. A cannon-cannon system (with one block in each of primary and secondary) deals 2 damage every 0.1 seconds. That's an average of 20 dps, even though each individual shot is smaller.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was thinking about a way to have no gaps in salvage lasers
    Almost off topic, but generally speaking gaps in mining arrays are fine.

The only way you would actually miss blocks with a single layered waffled array is if you were 100% perpendicular to it, and that will virtually never happen. A waffled array will pretty evenly eat blocks without it needing to be a solid set of beams.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's not true, Dire Venom. Secondaries increase your damage per second at the same rate as primaries and tertiaries; it's just that they also change your damage per shot, which obscures the difference somewhat.

For example, a single cannon deals 10 damage every second. A cannon-cannon system (with one block in each of primary and secondary) deals 2 damage every 0.1 seconds. That's an average of 20 dps, even though each individual shot is smaller.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    In-game, the dps given by the weapon group does not change when I add secondary blocks (under 100%), maybe its just a visual bug/not calculated correctly. I'll need to do some more testing then

Reaction score
    Thanks for the clarification!
    In-game, the dps given by the weapon group does not change when I add secondary blocks (under 100%), maybe its just a visual bug/not calculated correctly. I'll need to do some more testing then
    The in-game numbers aren't reliable at all. If you have your block counts, you can look up the Wiki and figure it out. I did, and I suck at math so it's not too hard lol

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The in-game numbers aren't reliable at all. If you have your block counts, you can look up the Wiki and figure it out. I did, and I suck at math so it's not too hard lol
    Thank you, I really appreciate that : ) Now to go do some math :D
    Actually, Ill just use this instead, too lazy :P

Weapon Calculator Program

Last edited: