how do i server?

Reaction score
    so i have been trying to make a privet server for my freinds and faction and have been getting stone walled when i think everything is good and running

basicly i start dedicated server then open up my client to set up the world. of corse i am very confused in the network page but i go and enter the ip that i am running the server on in the hoast feild and then when i go to test it doesnt connect. then when i try to go into the world it doesnt enter and tells me there was a problem i then shut down the server and try again same resalut. it would help if there was a youtube tortieal to show me what to do but all are back when we had the old launcher

i have alredy opened my ports to hoast starmade but i am unable to even start the server

Reaction score
    • Tester
    do you run the server on a seperate system ?
    if so .. what OS is it (i have no clue about GUI less Linux ;) )
    if the server starts up fine it has created a world0 folder inside the server-database folde on the serverPC. (if you didnt change the default settings in anyway )

on the client pc you have to choose Multipülayer and then manually enter the servers IP adress folowed by the port number, like this : 192.168.000.001:4242
    4242 is the default port number

Reaction score
    i am running the server on the same system and i know about the ip entering with the port i just cant figureout why it doesnt work

i am basicly asking for a crash corse on how to set up configure and run the server

and i have alredy portforwarded on port 4242

Reaction score
    • Tester
    disable any firewall/internetsecurity suite you are using to check if that may intefere.
    change the port to something different (maybe it gets already used by some other software)

upload_2017-9-5_16-23-30.png

then start your client and connect with the new port number

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    To add to SD's testing:
    -Run dedicated server
    -open second client, go to multyplayer, in manual entry type "localhost:4242" (or127.0.0.1:4242)

If you cannot connect to that instance, either SCREENSHOT or COPY PASTE the error message you're getting: It's REALLY hard to guess exactly what is going wrong without more detailed info than "it doesn't enter and tells me there was a problem"

if you CAN connect now, you were using the wrong IP to connect with. If you're playing with your friends over a local router, you need the IP address for your computer on that network(usually 192.168.something.something) This address can usually be found in the router's LAN page under "DHCP Clients List". If you want your friends to connect to your server through the internet, you use the WAN IP of your router. WAN IP is usually listed somewhere in a router config page, but easily found by typing "what's my IP" into google.

Using the WAN IP of your router from a computer branched off that router can sometimes cause packet loss, especially if you "discard ping from WAN" or your ISP has certain "security policies"

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Best advice I can give you is pay for an online server and use whitelist.
    Trust me, you won't regret it. It's really easy and if you are just playing with a few friends it won't take much.
    Here's a link to the hosting service I use.
    I use the higher Premium myself.
    These guys are quick with responses to any question you have also.
    There is also a live chat option once you subscribe which is the best way to go.
    In the chat I have always gotten an immediate response. (Any admins looking from there ---- the email I use here is different than my server email)

TheSmelter - Shopping Cart