How do I calculate how much thrust is need to reach escape velocity

Reaction score
    How do I calculate how much thrust I need to leave planet and get back up into space.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Hrmm... well.. you dont? :D You just need a small ship with decent thrust. Theres probably a Ratio of ideal thrust, but only small ships should ever really be around planets o -o
    I know a single Core has the thrust to escape Gravity :u but I doubt a .1mass:0Thrust Ratio really helps (aim for 1:1 if nothing else)

Reaction score
    A 2/1 thrust/mass ratio will get you smoothly of the planet. 3/1 T/M ratio and up will only make it better but it will consume more power.

Reaction score
    When I was making some hovering gravtanks i experimented with that. I found out that to escape the planet's gravity you need more thrust than weight. 1.0 ratio works - you will rize veery slowly, but you will go into space. If your ratio is about 0.8 - 0.9 you will slowly rise above the ground, but at some point you will be overcome with gravity and fall back to the planet. Note that it is just my speculations based on tank with mass no more than 20-22.

Reaction score
    You know you can just fly a core off the edge of the world right?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Once I had a huge sphere ship prototype face-plant into a planet. Had to slowly roll the thing off. Granted that your run of the mill Oreo shaped planet will soon be a thing of the past, and there will be no edge to fall off..
    Snako's Gravtanks actually sound pretty awesome, only having enough thrust to keep them off the ground when flying at "top speed" straight up. Makes it super awkward and silly to be the flying yo-yo bobbing up and down once you get inside the atmosphere.
    Once thrusters finally reach their final balancing act, this would be a good figure to know. :)

Reaction score
    I am try to build a heavy cruiser, that I could land and launch off a planted. Right now it is 84 long, 32 wide and 32 high diamond shaped.

Reaction score
    I am try to build a heavy cruiser, that I could land and launch off a planted. Right now it is 84 long, 32 wide and 32 high diamond shaped.
    I'm pretty sure it will fly up (slowly) if it's thrust is 0.1 more then the weight. However, big ships LAG under gravity (A lesson I learned the hard way with the Tesla, a ship almost as big as a medium station). I would recommend making a very small ship and having that docked with your huge ship.

As for your question, starmade is pretty much alternate universe ksp so flying high enough or where you miss the planet puts you on escape velocity.