Homebase Adjustment: Only invincible when offline

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the invincible ''home'' concept needs to change

it should only be protected when youre not online
    10 minutes after logout the homebase will be protected.

''But what about people placing turrets around my homebase waiting for me to logg in.''

I hear you say.

Well my dearest when you logg in the protection will be off after 10 minutes aswell
    also if youre going to build an obvious public homebase you better get a defense system

- xxxoxoxx Jorno

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    I am actually on the fence with this suggestion.

On one hand, I like the idea. It would allow factions to actually go to war on some PvP servers. But the little guy that just started his noob station could also get hurt by this.

I also remember the Dev's saying they had plans to make sure you would want to claim more systems. If that is true, then an enemy could just take those down, to reduce your Faction Points, and then leave you vulnerable. If that's what will be possible, then we may not need the protection to go away when we are online.

But damn would it be fun to be able to raid someone's station when they sit at their home base trying to verbally annoy everyone!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this would punish lone-wolf players too much. So I think some math would need to be involved: Reintroduce invincibility if the number of blocks of homebase drop below (players in faction * factor x (server setting?) * 100,000 / factor y (faction points?) )

That way, you can hit their homebase if they build big, but they'll never be left with absolutely nothing.

(E.g. Surgical strike: Hit their docks, so they can't have any invulnerable ships.)

Annoying players can build small bases, but then that's where server admins come in, if needed.

Sadly, Sieges would be boring for defenders: they can't build beyond a certain point and are held in there by the attackers. Maybe you can scrap part of the station to build a turret, but a determined attacker will just park large, heavily-defended AI ships nearby until the defender quits the game, uses a spare jump drive to escape, or suicides. Homebases would probably be regularly abandoned and built elsewhere, probably leading to gradual territory creep. Possibly a desired effect.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Annoying players can build small bases, but then that's where server admins come in, if needed.
    Would you actually enforce building over a certain size when some players have crap hardware and servers enforce maximum build sizes?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Would you actually enforce building over a certain size when some players have crap hardware and servers enforce maximum build sizes?
    No, I am implying kicking the annoying player.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    So; park an enormous alpha-missile box-boat pointed at a base, wireless the fire control (maybe needs a few relay stations), head back to base and trigger the thing when you see the owner log on?

Atheu

Gone but not forgotten
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I feel the current homebase protection system should be default, with an OPTION to turn it off in the config, but not to straight up remove the protection after X amount of time or X amount of blocks

No, I am implying kicking the annoying player.
    Speaking as an Admin from a server, kicking shouldn't be used in this case, unless stated in the servers rules.
    -EDIT- even then, it's still a hard thing to enforce a min build size. it would take too much time from the admins to check every faction base to make sure it's a certain min size

Reactions: ToasterBorst

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    . . .

And repeat
    . . .

What happens if somebody captures your spawn-point and uses area-triggers and pulses? + faction protection to avoid that you just mine/shoot the area-triggers away.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    . . .

And repeat
    . . .

What happens if somebody captures your spawn-point and uses area-triggers and pulses? + faction protection to avoid that you just mine/shoot the area-triggers away.
    You mean destroy the station's faction block while you're online, and replace it?

Then I'd say that you did something wrong in letting the person do all that. If you're not established enough to defend yourself then you could just not make your station a homebase, that way the coordinates wouldn't be broadcast and it'd be impossible to find.

With that said, I see where you're coming from. If the enemy could tank your turrets they'd have a really easy time spawn killing before you got in an other ship.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can't defend if someone tries hard enough to kill your home-base when you don't have protection any longer. "While online" also means if you are on a mining trip and a half galaxy away.

Imagine a cloaked ship with explosives rail-entities undocking them into the defensive-turret's weapon-computer, mount-point, whatever-crucial-block.
    If someone can sneak into a blind spot (we don't wan to limit creativity or not? or after killing a turret!) and has dedicated short-range logic-fire ion weapons, stations shields go down rather quickly.

You just need to locate the spawn block and the faction block which is easier on modular builds and when you can guess someone's build style.
    Kill the faction block, replace it. Then put a public-use near the spawn-block.
    Then build logic-activated pulses around spawn, killing each spawning player.

Then locate the player (PvP request or taking his position from a recent youtube-video) and kill him once.​