Holographic Display

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As of the new v0.198.219 update you can now have 3d modeled blocks and objects in the game. What I am suggesting is some sort of holographic block that would allow players to render ghost images of three denominational modeled objects such as ships, and two denominational images and gifs such as adds to join their faction. This could have a lot of interesting implications in cites and star basses where the signs and adds could lead players to a service they need or on the battle field where players could create tactical maps of the area. (possibly interface into the mini map view when attached to sensor block).

Reaction score
    Dimensional, not denominational. Dimensions are directions in space, denominations are parts of religions.

There are already ways to do things like this. Look them up. Especially display block floating text and similar tricks.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I love the idea of holographs in game. It really feels like it needs it. There are a ton of technical problems with it as well. I can line out what I think they are if people care enough. I really want these, but it has been suggested before.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly, ToasterBorst's work with displays is so good, I don't see a need for this.

Here's basically what you're asking for.
    With his work you can do advanced lettering, symbols, pictures, you name it. It just takes a small time investment before you can crank them out quickly and efficiently.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Honestly, ToasterBorst's work with displays is so good, I don't see a need for this.

Here's basically what you're asking for.
    With his work you can do advanced lettering, symbols, pictures, you name it. It just takes a small time investment before you can crank them out quickly and efficiently.
    Except it isn't, OP is asking for 3D projections of ships and other ingame objects.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Except it isn't, OP is asking for 3D projections of ships and other ingame objects.
    I was more referring to his idea of 2d gifs and images, largely because the idea of holographic 3d images seems a bit intense for Starmade, and although they would be cool on a small scale a system like that would be extremely complex, resource intensive, and not worth the effort.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    You mean like shipyards in design projection mode? The system is already in the game it's just a matter of scaling it down.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You mean like shipyards in design projection mode? The system is already in the game it's just a matter of scaling it down.
    Those aren't holograms, that's just a ship with some transparency effect added. They use the same amount of resources as real ships.

It's a neat idea, but even if it could be put into the game tomorrow, holograms have very little actual use, both as a decoration and as a function. It's not like a console or a pipe, which can be used all over and in clever ways to represent a large number of different things. It's a small, one-off decoration that would be cool, but not dramatically change a ship's look or design in the same way that a chair, stair, pipe, console, or slab would.

Reaction score
    Well, jsten, it's useful for a Star Wars-esque command room near the bridge of your Star Destroyer/Venator with a holographic representation of the battle. Truly, it's useful and would become commonplace as a centerpiece for ships, stations, even planetary bases.

Great way to see a battle without needing to fly out and look at everything to get a sense of position. That said, it'd be hard to do. Perhaps just a collection of dots or boxes instead of full ships? That'd be more manageable (I'd hope), yet could still be scaled based on ship mass.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, the GUI system would get a boost from Holographic systems, and even dot-based holographs would be an impressive addition, in terms of decoration. (Example: You could still get a feel for how a ship is shaped, if 16^3 block sections (or some other sampling of collections of blocks) are each represented by a single dot in 3D space.) Then, if there were live (or even slightly delayed) updates to the holograph, when sections of the ship are blown away, those dots disappear, giving the observer an updated idea of the shape of the ship (and an idea of just how damaged it is, when he remembers the original shape!) Likewise, you would have a better radar if each entity is represented by a dot in 3D space.

Reaction score
    I think even a small dotted version would be epic for a command room. Perhaps a block that would represent a single sector.

The most excuisite version has been talked about before and shot down, having scaled down blocks.

I do, instead, like the version of showing the ship itself with system colors, but no other ships. That would be easier.

I would like to see a 3 by 3 by 3 display which would essentially be a limited version of the navigation map, with the following settings:

1) Macro- 9 Systems viewable, like on the nav screen, but limited to just the adjacent systems. Stars and orbits visible, and your ship only.
    2) Single System- the star being in the central box, and planet orbits occupying all boxes. Stations and your ship visible.
    3) Surrounding Sectors- 27 sectors visible, includes your ship, planets, stations, and asteroid fields.
    4) Battle- Just your sector, or sector of a target entity, like another station, and all entities within that sector.

We already have this, its just in the nav menu. If there was a way to auto orient it with the ship, and put this as an object on the bridge, it would be epic. Even just a physical representation of the little nav mini map would be a start.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm The idea of holographic projectors could come in handy for a lot of things. Currently the shipyard does a sad excuse for holographic projection that is really just the ship and takes up resources rather than reducing them. If the projection of the shipyard was actually an image rather than a solid mass of blocks it would take very little to extend to an idea like this.

Now onto the topic of other ideas for this here's another one.

Holographic Projector Point: These let you mark positions in space that are the border of the projection area. Just put them on the corner points of the area you want and connect them to a Main Holographic Emitter. These are the modules of it. You can map out 2D or 3D shapes to project an image within and the blocks themselves are invisible outside of build mode.

Main Holographic Emitter: This is the main computer block and can control any number of Holographic Projector Points. It also lets you pick what to project be it images of ships saved to blueprints or things filed away on your computer. Also any videos or images online providing you have the link to them. Blueprints of ships are rendered as as image not blocks and can be scaled to any size based on the area and shape of the projection area. The Main Holographic Emitter must be next to one of the faces of the shape made with the Holographic Projector Point. Linked to a scanner computer this can project the mini-map as an image and anything on it. There can be as few as 1 Holographic Projector Point for a projection but in this case it'd only be single block in size.

Just some ideas but it could go further.

Reactions: BrotherPhil
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've seen requests for holographic displays before. The problem with the idea of a miniature render of a a ship is you have to actually render the ship. Perhaps if it doesn't render the ship itself but opens up a mini editor where we can build an approximate representation of our ships or whatever else that might work.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    i think that all you need is just forcfield in other shapes like pipes and other stuff

Reaction score
    I definitely like the idea of being able to put the nav display in a holo tank - maybe (if there is a free block ID) we could have a Holo Tank block, and a display could be spanned over a cuboid set of blocks to make a larger tank?