Havign Trouble Uploading Skins

Reaction score
    I recently re-downloaded the game (updated from Windows XP), and I am unsure how to upload skins. It appears the process has changed since I last logged in on my account and I can't seem to get it working. Can anyone walk me through the process?? I'm running 0.152 at the moment.

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    What you will need: 4 .png files total. 1 for the skin, 1 for the helm, 1 for the skin emission, 1 for the helm emission. (OR 1 .smskin file)

Step by step, how to:
    Click the StarMade Launcher, click start game which brings up the StarMade Connection Setup, find "Modding" at the toolbar at the top. If you are uploading a new skin, select "Create Custom Skin". Put in the four files as labeled: 1. Skin, 2. Skin-emission, 3. Helm, 4. Helm-emission. When this is done, hit "Okay", StarMade will make your 4 .png files into a single .smskin file. This file is the one the game actually uses. You will name your file whatever you wish, click Save As, you will be asked if you want that skin to be your default skin, click Okay/yes. Then go into your game and play as normal.

Already have an .smskin file you want to use? Then go to "Load Custom Skin" instead under Modding, browse and put the file in there, and hit okay.

Hope it helps!

Reaction score
    That helps...but I'm not sure what a skin emission is/does :/ Is there a template for those?

Reaction score
    What you will need: 4 .png files total. 1 for the skin, 1 for the helm, 1 for the skin emission, 1 for the helm emission. (OR 1 .smskin file)

Step by step, how to:
    Click the StarMade Launcher, click start game which brings up the StarMade Connection Setup, find "Modding" at the toolbar at the top. If you are uploading a new skin, select "Create Custom Skin". Put in the four files as labeled: 1. Skin, 2. Skin-emission, 3. Helm, 4. Helm-emission. When this is done, hit "Okay", StarMade will make your 4 .png files into a single .smskin file. This file is the one the game actually uses. You will name your file whatever you wish, click Save As, you will be asked if you want that skin to be your default skin, click Okay/yes. Then go into your game and play as normal.

Already have an .smskin file you want to use? Then go to "Load Custom Skin" instead under Modding, browse and put the file in there, and hit okay.

Hope it helps!
    Do you know if there is a template for those emissions?

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Do you know if there is a template for those emissions?
    The templates for skinning can be found in your StarMade folder>Data>Skinning Resources. (I also notice templates for making blocks here too now)
    There isn't a template used only for emission, hopefully the rest of this post will explain why.

What does "emission" do? This lets you mark what part of your skin/helmet you want to glow or "emit light".
    Do I need to use emission files? Yes, because emission files make up two of the required files that combine to make your skin in StarMade.
    What if I don't want my skin/helm to glow at all? Then use a total, 100% black emission. This emission would still be the same size as your skin image/helm image, except, it will only be black.
    The emission files/images are usually all 100%black except for the areas you want to glow. 100% white for maximum glow/brightness, or shades of grey for lower brightness.

Here is the emission for the default player skin (Dave)
    playertex_em.png In this example, 100% white was used in places where the skin glows in game, this should give you an idea of how bright the brightest is.

For each skin, I use that skin as a guide/template for where I put white/grey on the black background.
    This is how I make emission files/images: Make a separate layer of 100% black, and then lower the opacity of that layer so I'm able to see the skin underneath. Then I use the pencil or brush tool to paint white (or a grey lighter than 100% black) over the areas I want to glow. (The closer to white you use, the brighter it will glow!) When finished with that, I put the opacity of that back to 100%, copy it, File>New, paste, and save it as a .png.

ExampleTextures.png
    This skin can be found HERE on the Community Content section.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    The templates for skinning can be found in your StarMade folder>Data>Skinning Resources. (I also notice templates for making blocks here too now)
    There isn't a template used only for emission, hopefully the rest of this post will explain why.

What does "emission" do? This lets you mark what part of your skin/helmet you want to glow or "emit light".
    Do I need to use emission files? Yes, because emission files make up two of the required files that combine to make your skin in StarMade.
    What if I don't want my skin/helm to glow at all? Then use a total, 100% black emission. This emission would still be the same size as your skin image/helm image, except, it will only be black.
    The emission files/images are usually all 100%black except for the areas you want to glow. 100% white for maximum glow/brightness, or shades of grey for lower brightness.

Here is the emission for the default player skin (Dave)
    View attachment 2039 In this example, 100% white was used in places where the skin glows in game, this should give you an idea of how bright the brightest is.

For each skin, I use that skin as a guide/template for where I put white/grey on the black background.
    This is how I make emission files/images: Make a separate layer of 100% black, and then lower the opacity of that layer so I'm able to see the skin underneath. Then I use the pencil or brush tool to paint white (or a grey lighter than 100% black) over the areas I want to glow. (The closer to white you use, the brighter it will glow!) When finished with that, I put the opacity of that back to 100%, copy it, File>New, paste, and save it as a .png.

View attachment 2040
    This skin can be found HERE on the Community Content section.
    Thanks man! I'll try using the info you gave me, you've been a great help!

Reactions: AnnaShade017