Has anyone else had this problem while building?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Ok, I'm doing a rebuild of my Mobile Command system, when I ran into a really weird problem.

I cannot add or remove blocks in a specific part of the craft. If I add a block, it doesn't appear visually, although it retains its collision and parameters. Building on top of the block results in another invisible block being placed. If I delete a block in that area, it stays there, visually.

Tab-F6 has no effect.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I have!!! usually if i let it sit for a while the block will load in eventually, sometimes it does it really quick, other times...it doesnt.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I've only had it happen when building a lot at once. Generally this means the chunk isn't loaded. I usually just build out to connect the floating piece and its fine. Is this similar?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thanks for the responses. This seems different than the regular chunk error; as it persist through undo/redos, restarts, BP spawns and even a complete re-installation of the game. It seems to be stuck on this specific craft.

This is kind of irritating because my structure is pretty big. It's a large mobile station with a cities inside of it.

Tab-F6 seems to work to refresh regular opaque blocks but the blocks I'm placing are the metal grill/mesh and scaffolding. It's a construction site some I'm building cranes/ chain-link fences, scaffolds etc.

[doublepost=1475501224,1475500046][/doublepost]I may have found the problem.

StarMade doesn't seem to like opacity maps... In my case, alloyed metal mesh, metal grill, and scaffolding. It will only allow a certain amount of semi-transparent blocks like these on screen at one time. At least that's what it's doing on my system...

Thank you both for responding.

I'll keep testing this but in the mean time, I'd still like more feedback on similar experiences from anyone who has experienced this issue.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Well that definitely sounds similar to some issues I had with symmetry on big builds. The ghost blocks appeared on the opposite end of a 200 meter long spar I was lengthening in symmetry mode. I think the fault is caused by the symmetry blocks being so far away from the astronaut that they are placed in uninitialized space. Once this happens the ghost blocks seem to cause persistent issues and sadly, the only repair I found that works is to undo and start over.
    My biggest fear was that if I didn't catch it in time it would render the build wonky...permanently.

There have been other threads where this came up and there is a way to prevent problems:

Scaffolding. Build a frame around the intended build-area like a physical bounding box. This pre-initializes the space making large-scale symmetry operations safe (er).

Last edited: