Had Logic some recent changes in it's behavior?

Reaction score
    Hello everyone,

I did take a brief look into one of the last devbuilds (I think from June 6th) and found that previously working logic (thus far I've only seen problems on various elevators) on older builds from around a year ago does not work quite as it is supposed to anymore.

So I thought that I should finally ask around and see if someone can give me more information about this:
    1. Had other people similar issues or is it just me?
    2. Did the dev team intentional changes on logic or am I looking at a bug?
    3. If it's intentional - What specifically had been altered?

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    1. Had other people similar issues or is it just me?
    Yes, I encountered one problem too. I checked only one logic thing in a devbuild from last week, and this ship's rotating engine pods don't seem to work correctly anymore: SOBEK DREADNOUGHT (1st edition: Shell with engine rotation functions). (Didn't bother to delve into the problem yet.)

2. Did the dev team intentional changes on logic or am I looking at a bug?
    There seems to be a logic warning pop-up message now that never appeared before for me, which suggests that something was intentionally changed. (Didn't care enough at the time to be able to tell what the message says exactly.)

3. If it's intentional - What specifically had been altered?
    Yes, we sure need to get some clear info on this in at least the change-log of the next update. I'm waiting for an explanation too, cuz if even logic gets all f*cked up for no real good reason... well, it better not.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    OP It's probably a corrupted save file with bad links.
    I've had various logic circuits on ships from last year loaded into current builds "fail." After diagnosing, it's small things like certain rails being unlinked, or buttons reversing their links. Best bet is ground-up rebuilds IMHO

DeepspaceMechanic with how complex your logic is, it might be the "max simultaneous signals" setting in server cfg for your logic warning...

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    with how complex your logic is, it might be the "max simultaneous signals" setting in server cfg for your logic warning...

Thanks for the tip. I checked that ship again and it seems it's only the lower rear pair of docked engines that don't receive their wireless inputs.

The warning message goes like "Logic loop protection: signal stopped from traveling to another entity".

I never encountered that before, and don't know how it relates to the "max simultaneous signals" setting, but I spawned my monster of a brute-force adding machine (CALCULATRON 9,999 - Deepspace Mechanic's adding machine) in the latest devbuild and it gets the same "loop protection" message BUT still works like a charm (or at least as it used to, tested it by adding 5-digit numbers).

I hope you more well-versed guys can tell me that we won't have to redo logic stuff too :D

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    Thanks for the answers thus far.
    I too hope though, that I don't need to rebuild all the logic.

For now I will look it up in the bugreports and add if needed.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just copied a station from release to dev build. I'm now getting the same logic warnings which I wish I could turn off.
    Due to large amounts of plex doors being turned off or on generating enough logic changes to generate a server warning of a possible logic bomb I went to rail doors. I have a sensor setup on each door and each sensor is on a central timer so I can reset all the sensor clocks in one hit. However this results in a wireless link chain from the station to the door and then back to the station. The logic error reads like its saying because your looping the wireless logic back between entities that its giving a warning that is blocking a signal. Thing is if the signals were blocked then the doors would fail but they are working.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    No new logic stuff improvements, no new content / interaction added, nothing new with what I can play :(:(:(

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I just thought I should report that in the latest hotfix of the latest release (version 0.201.129) the problems brought up here still exist.

As you can see in the screenshot below, the message is the same as before ("Logic loop protection: signal stopped from traveling to another entity")

It must be a bug, because it wasn't mentioned in the dev news that they made any intentional changes to logic, AND if you look at the example below, only the lower pair of docked engines fail to receive/react to their signals, despite the fact that they are controlled through an identical signal path as the upper pair.

Someone should do a bug report on this (I never did, don't know how to).

(Or if someone wants to inspect the circuitry in my example, you can download the ship here, I guess there's a chance that it involves some especially risky logic design choices: https://starmadedock.net/content/so...on-shell-with-engine-rotation-functions.7455/)

EDIT: THIS SHIP TURNED OUT TO BE A BAD EXAMPLE OF THE BUG DISCUSSED HERE, IT HAS A DIFFERENT ISSUE.

Logic loop protection.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Someone should do a bug report on this (I never did, don't know how to).
    Just looked up my report again, after a long time. It is public by now, but it looks like it might take a while until even the cause of this problem is fully understood.
    While I was at it, I took the liberty of linking to the SOBEK for further testing.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Just looked up my report again, after a long time. It is public by now, but it looks like it might take a while until even the cause of this problem is fully understood.
    While I was at it, I took the liberty of linking to the SOBEK for further testing.

Oh right, I forgot that you wrote a while ago that you intend to make a report if there isn't one.

Let's hope the devs pick it up soon, because we can't really start/continue logic-heavy projects when it's as if a flip of a coin would determine whether stuff work or not.

Reactions: GalactusX
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    UPDATE:

I finally had the time and right mood to check a little deeper into the logic-heavy "Sobek" warship I used as an example in this thread... It turned out that the reason why the lower pair of docked engines didn't work in the discussed update as it did in the game version before that update, is only because some links between a few logic blocks were lost.

This is potentially totally unrelated to that new logic warning sign we get whenever wireless blocks are used.

Lord Daro - Sorry for providing an example ship for the bug brought up here that actually had different issues as well (I didn't cause those problems, but I did indeed overlook them).

If you have the time and possibility to remove the link to this ship of mine in your bug report, I think it would be necessary to do that in order to spare the time for the devs, because they might actually check inside it to explore the wireless bug, while it's actually a different issue.

I realize that the broken links that made this ship's rails fail is a bug by itself, but it's a different one, not the one reported, and it's kinda difficult to find those lost connections in this Sobek ship.

Thanks, and sorry again for mixing things up.

Last edited: