Graphics performance optimization (0.133)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

this update contains a new graphics system. The old system of course is still available (the systems are programmed as modules and can be switched out at will). The approach is basically using bigger buffers on the graphics card to minimize switching pointers between them, which can be costly. The drawback of that system is overhead in video memory, but that doesn't scale fortunately.

The gains for my system are pretty good. Depending on the situation I get +10-100% more fps. But it very much depends on the graphics card, its drivers, and the settings selected.

Please note: There are two more options in the advanced settings on start-up. VBO-Bulk-Mode, and VBO-Bulk-mode-size. If you have trouble with running the game (but last version was fine) please turn that option off. Otherwise you can play around with the size option. With this option "the more the better" is not true, even for high end cards. What gives the best performance solely depends on the graphics driver implementation, so you might have to try a bit to find your optimal setting. In the future default setting of 4MB can be replaced with a default setting if the graphics card used is known by the game.

Please be especially careful with this pre-build if you plan to use it on a server, and even in single player please make sure you backup your database before you use this build. Also please don't use this build to work on big projects, as i can't guarantee the data generated by the pre-build to be 100% error free, because a database migration has to be done from the old version.

You can download the build here: http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20140309_182550.zip

(to use that please extract that file into a folder named "StarMade" and put a launcher in the directory below: e.g. if you extract it to c:\users\schema\games\StarMade, the launcher has to be in c:\users\schema\games for it to see the installation)

(The username and password is "dev". The link will be working around 15 minutes after this news post)

This version will be installed on play.star-made.org:4242 to test.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    My bobby AI moduales stopped working after version .131. could you PLEASE put a auto pilot in thegame next update?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    oh snap. I can now play the game on my 1080p pc!

Reaction score
    Why are my turrets not working? I know how to make them, and I activate them, but they do not seem to fire. this only started at version .131. And when will you put the server up? It says that it is only avalible for .132

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    you should send a descriptive bug report with the crash reporter in the launcher

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Please send in a report. Those are exactly the bugs I\'m looking for at the moment

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I\'m getting slightly more FPS in my huge lag inducing space station on my usual settings for gameplay than the lower settings I used to use while building the thing.

A very welcome update indeed.

Reaction score
    I haven\'t played the dev build, but from what you\'ve told me it\'s awesome! Can\'t wait to see what else will happen in the time before it becomes part of the regular game!

Reaction score
    I get an error saying \"Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to tun the application\".

I turned on the VBO-Bulk-Mode with the minimum 4MB. That is the only thing that has changed in my settings since last version. My computer is more then enough to play the game.

Not sure what info you need, so let me know and I will be happy to give it.

Reaction score
    Forgot to mention I am using an Nvidia GTX660Ti graphics card and an Intel i5 2300 CPU.

Reaction score
    Sorry for the triple post.

Ive narrowd the issue down to be from the procedural background generation and not the VBO-Bulk-Mode as I first thought.

Reaction score
    The Cubatom system will allow you to split an item but when trying to split another, it splits the previous item instead.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My GTX660 (non ti) is running the game without errors, and is brocedurally bacgrounding very nicely.

Reaction score
    are you running the 4096 resolution? That seems to be the one mine has the issue with.