Global Ship Classification Project

Reaction score
    I had read many thread of idea and rules to classify ship, but most of them are limited.
    That why i open this project to get a complete classification table, when i say complete, i mean, taking care of the ship role (is it a civilian cargo, a military warship, a mining drone ...), the size obviously, but also the shape, (as a Big cube of 100m isn"t the same of a big donut (like in stargate SG1) of 1000m), then the weapons he got, shield, FTL, reactor and many other. some will still say this can't by done cause some servers use restriction so a "titan" will never been see... but i'm sure their are some lot solution to make classification adaptable to each server.

Classification :
    I think you can't just say " {shipname} is my best corvette " or just say a ship is a battlecruiser.
    I think we need to title ship with more than a world like : "Heavy combat drone {dronename}" or " Mining drone-fleet carrier"

Maybe a Code classification should be a nice think to like HCD or MDFC for previous exemple.

As said, i think this classification also should take care of turret, but so Turret size, why about a turret classification too ?

How to ?
    For making this classification we should use some example,
    We also should provide a simulator as classification should take a lot of parameter.
    Then this simulator should be online. so we should use Google sheet to make it.

Who can help ?
    Everybody would be helpfull, by :
    Submiting a very good ship exemple for classification
    Doing test on simulator to find it weakness
    Giving idea of modification for the classification

Roadmap :
    1- Getting a way to save full ship/turret setting on the sheet to compare them later.
    2- Making a turret classification ( as it should be easier )
    3- Making a Ship size classifcation
    4- Making the classification taking care of ship role
    5- " " Reactor, truster and shield
    6- " " Weapons and turret / Cargo / Docking capacity / Mining Capacity

Where this is :
    Here is the link to the public sheet of the project.
    Bluemade classification project

Reaction score
    Brilliant idea, but maybe a generalized standard would be better instead of going into detail as to exactly what it is. . Like for example for ships: Separate in the order of

"ship type affiliation" (such as civilian, military, commercial)

"Ship size range" (such as ai drone 1m-20m)

"Ship armor range (military ships only)

"Ship shield range"

As for the specifics of the reactors and number of turrets and turret sizes, it would bethe responsibility of the ship builders

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Nope, very player or faction will need to be able to choose their own, and not be forced by some project. Even if it is optional, there's always going to be the person running around screaming why your battlecruiser is actually a titan in this global classification.

Reaction score
    For turrets u can also first classify by usage (weapon, mining, support)

As for turret size, you can use general sizes like for example small medium, large, extralarge, titan, megatitan......

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For the sake of God, Satan, Odin, Thor, Gaia, Zeus, The God Emporer, Omnissah and all the others, No!... No! NOOOOOOOOOO! Not again.

Dont try to cassify shipsizes in this forum.

Classify your own ships for yourself and the most people are fie with.
    But classify other peoples stuff well... before it was a trend to rage about new power it was trend to rage about Ship size classifications.

Reaction score
    I had read many thread of idea and rules to classify ship, but most of them are limited.
    That why i open this project to get a complete classification table, when i say complete, i mean, taking care of the ship role (is it a civilian cargo, a military warship, a mining drone ...), the size obviously, but also the shape, (as a Big cube of 100m isn"t the same of a big donut (like in stargate SG1) of 1000m), then the weapons he got, shield, FTL, reactor and many other. some will still say this can't by done cause some servers use restriction so a "titan" will never been see... but i'm sure their are some lot solution to make classification adaptable to each server.
    One question: Was this google translated? :D

Watch what happens when we put it back into the system and set Zulu as the output language!

Ngifunde imicu eminingi yomqondo nemithetho yokuhlukanisa umkhumbi, kodwa iningi lawo lilinganiselwe.
    Ukuthi kungani ngivula le phrojekthi ukuze ngithole ithebula eliphelele lokuhlukanisa, uma ngithi ngiphelele, ngisho, nginakekele indima yemikhumbi (ingumthwalo wezombusazwe, impi yempi yempi, i-drone yemayini ...), ubukhulu obucacile, kodwa futhi nesimo, (njengoba i-Cube enkulu ye-100m ayifani ne-donut enkulu (efana ne-stargate SG1) ye-1000m), izikhali zakhe, isihlangu, i-FTL, i-reactor nezinye eziningi. lokhu akukwazi ukwenza ukuthi ezinye amaseva zisebenzise umkhawulo ukuze "i-titan" ingasoze yabona ... kodwa ngiyaqiniseka ukuthi isisombululo saso esithile sokwenza ukuhlukaniswa kwezimo ezivumelane nesiphakeli ngasinye.
    Now to Kazak, then Spanish, Vietnamese, and finally English again!

I have read a lot of strategies and psychological rules to reduce, but most of them are limited.
    Why not open a complete reference point for this project, if I say I am perfect, even if I pay attention to the role of the ship (political responsibility, war, exploitation) ... but with a large mouse 100 m (SG1 degrees C), weapons, shields, FTL, reactors and other things do not match. It's not certain that some servers will ever see the titan ... but I'm sure that some of the solutions that make a set of conventions are compatible with each server.
    Google translate is getting quite good, actually.

Serious time though:

The best, and most reasonable thing anyone can do is to classify their OWN builds, according to their OWN ideas.
    Someone might simply call his latest construct a "Battleship" while someone feeling more out-of-the-box could call something very similar the "Uber-Heavy Multidimensional Facebreaker" while someone else might use the same name for something vastly different in tonnage, shape, armament and purpose.

I'm not sure if this really was your first post or it's just a freshly made alt for staving off boredom (and the fact I'm answering is proof enough that the boredom is real) by dragging this ages old idea back from the depths of hell where it belongs, so I will tell you this much;

It's an ooooooold topic, just about as old as the game is. It was born more of enthusiasm than common sense. It has failed, been repeated, and failed again several times, because there's no reason for anyone to conform to anyone else's classifications.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Try telling an invading alien armada that those giant things they're flying that just melted your planet are not, in fact "Ykhwari knak knaks" as they call them.

Welcome new kid ! / Alt we'll never see again !

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    - If I can fight without turrets, only frontal weapons and aim the damn thing, then it's a Fighter. Up to about 80 meters in all directions, so maximum number of blocks would be 80*80*80=512000. So, a Fighter could even have 50k mass in the old version of mass if it has the shape of a borg cube. Though it can also be a 200 blocks agile mosquito.
    - If it can't fight drones without turrets anymore, but it is too fragile to be on pair with current Titans, then against strong stations and Titans it has to jump in, unload all it has (weapons or tiny drones or warheads or any of the above), then jump out before its shields give way. That is what I call a Bomber. It does not mater its mass, shape or size, it's just that though well armed, it can't endure through a fight from start till the end of it, it needs to jump out to regen its shields, then return at least once per fight against a Titan.
    - To protect ships in obsolete versions one must ensure they are behind at least 58 meters of something else or a 100% explosive enhanced nuke will crush the ship inside even if "something else" gets 0 damage due to being well shielded or a homebase. So, a ship who can reliably protect player manned fighters or bombers docked inside, behind 58 meters of mothership in all directions, is a Carrier. Carriers are just as big and slow in turning as Titans, limited in size and mass only by server rules, with huge shields, low anything else but shields.
    Note: A Carrier cannot be smaller than 116 (=58*2) meters (plus the size of the inside docked ship/ships) in any direction or it's not going to be able to protect its cargo no matter how well shielded it is. Some servers do not allow too big ships, so they do not allow real Carriers. Drone Carriers I classify as Bombers.
    - Titans are ships that do not have inner hangars for fighters or bigger ships. They could carry drones or torpedoes, though. They attempt to have: thrust not more than enough to hit the server's max speed eventually (sometimes less), good/decent shields, overwhelming firepower in turrets only, no frontal weapons needed. They are specifically built to the server limits and no more, no less in size, mass, no. of turrets, number of weapon groups, etc.
    Note: Ships that are Titans on a 100k mass limit server are probably bombers on a 300k mass limit server.
    As I am sure there are a lot more different roles for warships (torpedo boat that is smaller or larger than a bomber, perma-cloacked unshielded scouts, for just 2 examples), this is just a sketch.

But I do think that a classification according to roles and ways of using the ships is far more useful than a classification based on mass.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I laughed so hard when I saw that this was yet another one of these and not even a bump of one of the many, many old ones.

So, first, go back and look at all the other threads on this because there are pages and pages of references and discussion about how even in real life ship classification is extremely subjective and fluid and inconsistent. Sci fi is the same. Only in some games are there consistent classing systems, and those vary from game to game.

That said, there already IS a sort of agreed classing system, but it is complexed, nuanced, unwritten, and very informal. Those who have been playing Starmade for years know that if you say "frigate," you are probably talking about something between 5k and 50k mass, and probably something with a role as skirmisher or flanker or other mobility focused role. But we also know that there are many, many exceptions and also sometimes a particular individual's standards are different by an order of magnitude. But it is enough that we do actually have the vocabulary to communicate about ship types fairly effectively.

The real reason this proposal is always met with rejection now, is that while to newer players it may seem that the discussion about ships is vague and unspecific, that it is because it is. Because there is no real functionality to precise ship classes in a game that 1) is drastically changing from month to month, and 2) is all about constantly morphing, modding and changing ships. Nothing stays the same. I can build a 25k skirmish frigate in month, and in 2 months between changes in the way the game works and changes I make to the ship to compensate it is liable to end up something more akin to a heavy gunship or light destroyer.

Chasing a goal of fitting our builds into clean, oversimplified label boxes is a huge waste of time and energy, and a massive obstacle to actual creativity and optimization.

I understand wanting a vocabulary to communicate more clearly about ships, but the answer is actually to just read more on the forums and understand the bases on which we actually already communicate about ships.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

That by % = type/role

Server size limit %=class: 100-80%=titan, 80-70% = battleship/destroyer/cruiser, 70-50% = corvette, 40-20% =fighter, 20-1% drone/shuttle

One server's titan is easily another server's corvette, but a weapon platform is always a weapon platform and a transport is always a transport.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacThule and Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    There’s no agreement on ship classification IRL and it’s changed over time on top of that. This is why mass is used over anything else.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    The whole point of this game is creative freedom. This goes for everything including how we classify ships. There is no universal system we can use. As much as you might like to try, you are only going to meet a plethora of OPINIONS that will counteract your own. If somebody wants to classify their 50m "battleship" against your 500m "battlecruiser" there is no reason they shouldn't be able to. This is a discussion that could possibly happen down the line but not now.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    The whole point of this game is creative freedom. This goes for everything including how we classify ships. There is no universal system we can use. As much as you might like to try, you are only going to meet a plethora of OPINIONS that will counteract your own. If somebody wants to classify their 50m "battleship" against your 500m "battlecruiser" there is no reason they shouldn't be able to. This is a discussion that could possibly happen down the line but not now.
    And there is a certain believability - within the context of a sci-fi game where one can travel an entire galaxy in a relatively short period - of a 50m battleship encountering a 500m cruiser. These ships are from different races, different civilizations and it doesn't just come down to a matter of cultural opinions on classification. Consider also issues of technology and industrial capacity. 50m could be the largest effective warship one group is capable of fielding and therefore due the title of battleship, being the top ship of the line. 500m might be a bit routine for a far more advanced and economically developed group. Imagine the terror of the battleship captain upon encountering this new power!

I like the chart DrTarDIS attached. Role is probably more relevant to class even than power, and certainly more relevant than sheer size.