Gargantuan mech build [Forearm]

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Last time I built a mech it was suggested that I start a buildyard thread to document my progress, I never got around to it last time so I thought I should do it with this one. I'll keep the main post updated as I progress, all criticism, especially suggestions, is welcome and appreciated.

Latest progress:
    Finally got around to filling the forearms innards with systems. It has 10 mil e/sec regen to call its own which supplies 1mil regen for its 40mil of shields and and recharges its 400mil power capacity inside the reload time of most alpha weapons. It also utilizes a 15 deep reactor stack which will supply 30 mil e/sec to anything docked to its attatchement socket.

• Completed the greeble on one plate of the arm bringing the total completion up to 50%.
    • About to 43% of the surface covered in greeble now. Its not a large increase but it sure does make a difference to the overall look.
    • Got 38% of the blank surface covered in greeble so far. I also got some building tips from the legendary refirendum and now the plates look a lot less repetative.
    • With this update I have finished adding greeble to aproximately 1/4 of the forearm's surface area. There's a long road ahead but hopefully I have something awesome to show by the end of it.

• Started detailing on the inside surface of the forearm where the hanger is (which will actually face up when its mounted to the upper arm) Still got to do the back half of it and then I have 3 other faces to do + the joint.
    • Ended up having to increase the size of the hanger by about 10m but it was worth it. The scout ship finally fits and I can get back to work on some of the more general greeble.
    • Got the scout ship finished, its a little underpowered for its size with about 150k shields and only 3k dps between its two turrets; though it does have a pair of 10k lock-on missiles. Unfortunately It turned out to be a little too big so I have to extend the hanger's height by about 5 meters.
    • Got the most basic shape of the forearm finished now, got some greeble done and decided it needed a small base on it for the maintenance and gunner crews for the hand to live in:

Newly added hanger, this is where I intend to put a scout ship:
    • Extended the hand cowl back about 300m to start the forearm (now running on min graphics to avoid spontanious combustion) now I have to finish the overall shape before I can start on the enhancers and greeble (at 20fps no less).
    • Started work on the wrist now, its got a huge hand cowling because I want it to look heavily armoured. I decided to forgo wrist rotation due to it being rarely used and not fitting with my intended aethstetic.
    • The sword is finished! it had a 9mil damage-pulse/beam at the tip and 20k damage-pulse/cannons spaced along its edge at 4m intervals going off in alternate groups every second. It creates 8mil e/sec on its own but will have to draw another 70mil e/sec from the main body in order to function. It is 1049m long and has 6.2 mil shields to protect itself; All in all it comes in at 124,000 mass.

• Ripped out the old reactors as well as some useless hull frames that were left inside the sword after finishing the basic shape. Completely redesigned new reactors which are nice and shiny and fit perfectly as a group of 4 inside the handle. This brings the total regen up to 6.8mil e/sec.
    • Can't do the internal pulse system at the moment due to a bug with damage pulse so I got a little more exterior detail done.
    • Got a pair of docked reactors into the swords base bringing its total regen up to 5.2mil e/sec. If this turns out to be too low later on I can likely fit another 4 in the handle.
    • Got the basic shape of the sword finished, it comes in at 1049m long. Next I gotta do the internal systems (including several docked reactors) finally followed by external greeble.
    • Made a start on the epic sword of hugeness, got the basic shape of the handle done, next is the blade and rudimentary details.
      Image reduced to link to save space: Link
    • Progress has been a little slow, thought I'd give you guys an idea of just how complicated this thing is by taking a screenshot with all the entity markers visible.
    • Finally came up with a thumb mechanism I liked that wasn't overly complicated, got it attached and going to link it up tommorow morning. Also reworked the power in the palm to account for the new, 2 mil, soft cap.

Master hand goodness.
      Palm beam of death.
    • Crapton of progress done, built a hand to provide a ton of shielding as well as a big palm laser of doom, just got to put the thumb on.
      Hand of doom.
      Guns for days.
      I see you there.
    • Done some interior work on the finger tip, put a maintenance hatch behind the rotor assembly and tried to make the interior as claustrophobic as possible with random fans, pipes and conduits everywhere.
    • Got the thrid and final finger segment done, its a little more similiar to the finger tip than I would like but I think I succeeded in distinguishing it enough to keep things interesting. This time the weapon system comes in the form of a large deploying cannon. (The doors are a little jerky in the gif due to the lag recording one causes but work smoothly in normal gameplay)

At full extension the whole finger come in at 157m long, thank Schema I'm getting a better laptop in January.
    • I have the basic structure of the second finger joint finished, everything is complete except for the interior which will be worked on once the third joint is completed.
    • First part of the build featuring a deployable beam/cannon for that 'Master Hand' goodness, for scale it is 48m long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Build a Mech workshop
    As a side project to give my CPU a break I thought I'd build some modular mech components for you guys to have some fun with. Just dock the components together and voilla you have a mech. The only minor complication is that when docking a torso to set of legs you have to link the wireless module(s) on the torso to the wireless module(s) on the legs.
    [Link]

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    It is REALLY detailed. I can see why it needed to be so big. Gotta have room for all the 007 tier gadgets.
    It reminds me so much of Starfox it's not even funny. Huh. One of my new fighters looks like a squashed down Arwing too. Must have Nintendo on the brain.

Right. So when are you getting that shiny new rail badge? :3 I might poke someone about it.

Reaction score
    I know you may not want to hear this, but sinc eyou're doing it in such an immense size, perhaps invest some more im in getting a real hand shape down. Idon't know what you're shooting for, but by going with these basic ideas of body parts, your robot (which I hope will be amazing) will end up looking clumsy and childish. Rather, look at how a hand is bactually shaped and "robotize" it :P.

I'm sorry if that came off harsh, hte micro details are cool, but the major shape just seems too simplistic too me.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    It is REALLY detailed. I can see why it needed to be so big. Gotta have room for all the 007 tier gadgets.
    It reminds me so much of Starfox it's not even funny. Huh. One of my new fighters looks like a squashed down Arwing too. Must have Nintendo on the brain.

Right. So when are you getting that shiny new rail badge? :3 I might poke someone about it.
    Serious response: there are a LOT of mechs on the list to get railman badge. IIRC we were talking about handing railman out to a number of people who posted in the original "rail showoff" thread but I guess that fell through at some point? That or it was decided that what was shown off wasn't exactly ground breaking (which the vast majority wasn't)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    He's building a robot not a human you dense fuck.

Go put this to use

That was astoundingly savage.

But we try to keep it a bit more civil than that on these forums, so maybe consider deleting that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That was astoundingly savage.
    Neat new signature quote.

As for the topic of the mech, may I ask how you are going about handling and controlling the input into the limbs? Is is off-site or fit into the parts since they are much larger now?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Feel free, m8.

But yeah, I assume he can do it all through wireless logic and maybe some intra ship remotes. They seem to be working reliably now on ships (but not stations).

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I know you may not want to hear this, but sinc eyou're doing it in such an immense size, perhaps invest some more im in getting a real hand shape down. Idon't know what you're shooting for, but by going with these basic ideas of body parts, your robot (which I hope will be amazing) will end up looking clumsy and childish. Rather, look at how a hand is bactually shaped and "robotize" it :p.

I'm sorry if that came off harsh, hte micro details are cool, but the major shape just seems too simplistic too me.
    As much as I like the idea, this is not going to be that kind of build. I think you'll be pleasantly supriesd at how much more human like it will look simply by adding a thumb, beyond that I want to keep it at least somewhat clumsy looking as this is a device for swatting ships out of the sky as opposed to a precision instrument.

Additionally if anyone has any recomendations for sword shapes I would welcome them, the next part of the build is going to be a deliberately oversized and heavy sword so I can make sure the rest of the joint chain can take the weight of anything I care to arm it with.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's only a matter of time until someone programs this to do the middle finger.

Reactions: Col_Kurtz
    Reaction score
    He's building a robot not a human you dense fuck.

Go put this to use

Well... that's an extremely sad response. I hope this isn't the tone you normally use when talking to other people.

As much as I like the idea, this is not going to be that kind of build. I think you'll be pleasantly supriesd at how much more human like it will look simply by adding a thumb, beyond that I want to keep it at least somewhat clumsy looking as this is a device for swatting ships out of the sky as opposed to a precision instrument.

Additionally if anyone has any recomendations for sword shapes I would welcome them, the next part of the build is going to be a deliberately oversized and heavy sword so I can make sure the rest of the joint chain can take the weight of anything I care to arm it with.

Sure, as I said, I don't know what your goal is. I just thought, since you have so much space to play with, having an entirely flat hand is a bit of wasted potential. But hey, whatever you feel like. Instead of a sword, have you considered a hammer? Since we're going with the whole... clunky smasher vibe.

As someone else mentioned, this does give me heavy flashbacks to starfox 64

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Instead of a sword, have you considered a hammer? Since we're going with the whole... clunky smasher vibe.
    You underestimate how brutal I can be with a sword. imagine an edge constantly immeresed in damage-pulse/cannon logic chained explosions grinding against a ships shields until they finally give way and the swords glides through blocks like a rock through air.

Reactions: Trekkerjoe

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Whoah, I like how even the fingers have interior space...
    I confess that only the fingertips have interior space baring 2 little hatches in the other segments to allow access to the underside of the PD turrets for repairs and manualy activating of the AI.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Somewhere, in a dark room, there's a developer wondering how on Earth he'll manage to optimize rails enough to make a completed version of this mech not lag the crap out of every PC ^^

More on topic: those are some very very cool rail gadgets, great work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    JESUS CHRIST
    now I know what a giant sword was doing on NFD Build...