Games and Theory : The strategy of 3 dimensional warfare pt1

Reaction score
    I have been making these posts for faction, and inturn anyone who will read them, I have been asked specifically to post them here.

OK, This is a bit hard to articulate so stick with me on this.

Firstly to understand where to put the minefields we need to understand where the enemy will most likely be, and why. understanding this will give you control of the battlefield.

In conventional warfare we have valleys and mountains, the romans never expected hannibal to traverse the alps he played against their expectations by using the terrain tactically. but in space there is no such thing, naval warfare is closer to astro warfare as we can relate to using history as an example.

Despite the openness of the ocean if we look at this map, though on a 2d plane we see a lot of convergence as people take the shortest most convenient route. the map might be a bit dated, but it illustrates my point. one important thing we note is that the paths converge because of intention, they wish to go to a destination. In the context of this discussion we can define the destination as a location we wish to attack or defend.

But in the interest of controlling the battlefield and highlighting how these ideas can be used to our advantage, we will discuss this more as a location we wish to defend, our home planet or station and thus this will hopefully help you choose a location from which to start your empire in space.

Again to illustrate convergence here is a map of international flight traffic

what I'm trying to highlight is that despite the origin of the traffic (or enemy) if we know the destination we can assuredly presume the route they will take. we can, after taking some small measures ensure this even more but I'll get on to that.

For now let me explain convergence in starmade and 3 dimensional space, via some shitty ms paint images.

if anyone in starmade is traveling more than a few sectors its absolutely necessary to use the navigation array so lets casually look at how that works. it like most common sense things takes the shortest path, but how it displays that path is integral to. as it points not to the destination, but the next sector in the chain, even if you're only in that sector for a few meters.

as we can see here

even though this is a short distance , 11 sectors in one axis in this case "X" we can see that not only do both travelers enter the same sector before entering the destination. But they enter it at the same point, as the sector marker displays the same for everyone else which is at the center of the side of the 3 dimensional cube that is the sector.

increasing the distance along a specific axis ensures all your enemies will be coming from one side of you. basically putting the back of your empire against the void of uninhabited space. I think 100 sectors is enough but if this post gets much attention it might escalate the issue.

if we add a 3rd dimension we get something that literally becomes a bottle neck (in shape)

This makes placing mines strategically viable in the void of space, creating a common path by forcing your enemies to traverse a large distance to get to you. means you only have to mine maybe a 3x3x3 sector area to make it impractical for them to travel to your base, increasing the sectors used in your mine field make it harder for the enemy to find the edges and navigate around it.

knowing where the minefield is, you can direct your allies to a roundabout sector or a waypoint, in order to go around or above it.

these are some mines I made with turret mounts to keep the greif up, they are long and spindially to cause centripetal force to roate them when someone crashes into them, causing them to flip around and collide again with the target.

they are 200x200x200 give or take with no shields and 1mil regen energy. and some thrusters to move them around.

the idea is you go to a target sector, place a station block place a shop block and buy 10-20 of them (about 1mil each) and litter the side of the sector cube you expect the enemy to enter from, as soon as he enters a new sector, they will be in his face sooner than his navigation array can update.

they won't kill a lot of larger ships, but if you have to fly a massive behemoth 100 sectors and every new sector you have to deal with this crap slowly wearing down your ship maybe taking out your fleet scouts and what not. and most smaller ships will be dead before they know wtf.

(oh and if you want to be a total turd you can leave them all over your enemies stuff, they are easier to buy and leave around then clean up) even if their planet or station is protected players and small ships can still get caught in them.

I call them dragons teeth after the ww2 era tank traps the germans used.

I am entirely open to questions, ideas and discussion, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I have presented here and thank you for reading.

http://imgur.com/a/2CBRA

Reaction score
    You might be the Sun Tzo of Starmade! (For anyone that doesn\'t know, Sun Tzo made the very old Chinese war strategy book \"The Art of War\")

Reaction score
    http://star-made.org/content/games-and-theory-strategy-3-dimensional-warfare-pt-2

Reaction score
    ... one of the turrets on a mine hits another mine? I have kept myself away from dis-integrators, (hiding all the ones I find in a chest deep in my personal realms) and for good reason. However, common intuition tells me that the indiscriminate fire of the mine-board turrets could lead to a premature detonation. Can this be fixed simply by limiting the range of the turrets, or do they still begin to fire before a ship comes within acceptable range of the mine? I\'m not sure. Any proposals?

Reaction score
    fire from one turret on a mine could detonate parts of a second mine, but its really a case of quantity over quality. they are not designed to be indistructable and last for ever, if I wanted to do that I\'d make a station and set it as a faction home. the mines are designed to be desposable and losses of one or part of one are non concaquencial to the over all field.

disintigrators detonate to about 16-18 blocks range (I keep forgetting) so if you wanted efficiancy you would make free floating balls that distance apart.if you made 50ballsx50ballsx50balls 3x3x3 each you would have (3+18)x50=1050 so you could buy one ship and have it cover 1050 cubic meters, as a mine field it would be more efficiant, but as colissions cause so much server side lag I think its best for now to rely on colissions causing war declaration and using the turret agro to kill your targets.

Reaction score
    Uuummm. I don\'t don\'t like to be a bum but isn\'t there a new WAYPOINT system now that takes you on the shortest path anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s worth noting that in the current version of star-made, disintergrator doesn\'t explode if hit by amc. you can break through the blocks with them. There is no chance of accidental detination by turrets.

Well done. I\'ve never seen a good guide to running a minefield in starmade before.

Reaction score
    If you look at the images then you notice that as long as you are far enough out, even the shortest path will still enter from the same side of the sector, making it effective to mine that one side, or just mine the sectors in a 3x3 square in front of your base.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Good idea, but one massive flaw.

Turrets.

A corvette with decent shields (700k) can have maybe 5-6 turrets clearing out the \"Mines\". A battleship would obviously accelerate the process. The real trouble is, when the turret\'s range is around 2.5km, they can actually snipe the majority of the mines with ease. With the \"Snap shot\" turrets we got right now, we are talking core drills and all mines down in seconds.

Having them neutral does not help, all that it takes is for the faction to feign an excuse (Eg: Pirate attack NOW) and set neutral to hostile, and the mines will be taken out of combat, if it is factioned, than the turrets will attack anyway.

A really interesting concept, but really hard to excecute correctly. And your enemies will need to be \"that\" stupid.

:)

While turrets do not drill cores down to 30 seconds, they can keep doing this. Mines are expensive XD

More bad news, new weapon system (Eg: Damage dealing Pulsator) could simply clear everything in it\'s way if it pulses enough time, it can literally make a \"Bubble\" of invincibility AND destroy the mines.

Reaction score
    May want to note that real minelayers are being added to the game, so preemptively shooting mines won\'t work. Something to consider.