Game won't open past first launcher menu *solved? (̶N̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Title says it all, after pressing the 'Start Game' button on the first launcher menu it simply closes again. Everything imagineable is is fully updated and I've tried reinstalling the game twice, nothing works. The worst part is it worked this morning.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Did you try to restart the computer?
    If this does not help, open the logs folder and put the log.txt.0 in here.

- Andy

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Did you try to restart the computer?
    If this does not help, open the logs folder and put the log.txt.0 in here.

- Andy
    F̶i̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶.̶S̶t̶a̶r̶M̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶/̶a̶p̶p̶d̶a̶t̶a̶.̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶t̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶n̶4̶4̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Problem is not solve after all. performing the fix also resets the RAM values back to default which in my case makes the game unplayable. Changing the RAM values to anything other than default (even lowering them) makes the problem come back; My OS is 64 bit, my java is 64bit and last updated yesterday, literally everything that could need updating has been updated and I have tried complete fresh installs three times now.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Ok, so restart didnt fix it.
    (Deleting something in appdata does not help with that error in any way, so I'll ignore that)

Logs? =)

Without a log, I cannot look into the exact error, or at least get a good hint what to try next.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Are there any user-specific java settings? Because on windows those tend to override the memory settings, causing crashes when numbers mismatch. It is best to just erase those user-specific settings if they exist.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Ok, so restart didnt fix it.
    (Deleting something in appdata does not help with that error in any way, so I'll ignore that)

Logs? =)

Without a log, I cannot look into the exact error, or at least get a good hint what to try next.

- Andy
    Logs as in logs from the game directory (which ones / where do I find them) or error logs? because the second one doesn't exist becuse there are no errors.

Are there any user-specific java settings? Because on windows those tend to override the memory settings, causing crashes when numbers mismatch. It is best to just erase those user-specific settings if they exist.
    No user specific java settings though it does give me the idea of manually editing the appdata incase its defaulting to the default values and not writing correctly when I input new ones.

Update:
    #Properties for the StarMade Starter
    #Sun Dec 20 15:48:52 GMT 2015
    earlyGenMemory=6144
    port=4242
    maxMemory=6144
    installDir=./StarMade/
    buildBranch=RELEASE
    maxMemory32=512
    minMemory32=256
    earlyGenMemory32=64
    minMemory=6144
    serverEarlyGenMemory=256
    serverMaxMemory=1024
    serverMinMemory=1024
    I definetaly have 64-bit java and have gone to great lengths to ensure that fact. But it seems windows is still acting like I have 32-bit java which suggests to me that the problem is some sort of winderp.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Logs as in logs from the game directory (which ones / where do I find them) or error logs? because the second one doesn't exist becuse there are no errors.
    I think he means \StarMade\logs logs... But those are the error logs you mention don't exist?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I think he means \StarMade\logs logs... But those are the error logs you mention don't exist?
    By that I mean they most likely won't contain any errors because none appear and the game may not even get far enough to create them.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    If I read the memory settings right, they should not work.

You can adjust your memory settings in the launcher before clicking on 'start'.

memory.png

After this, you see a menu like this:

memory2.png

The two tabs show separate settings for your client in 'client'-mode and 'server'-mode.
    For single-player mode, BOTH of them are used.
    As you have a server in the background running to host your universe.

Please enter the following values:

Tab 1 - Client & SinglePlayer
    Max: 2048 (May be increased to 4096 in case you have plenty of ram free)
    Initial: 512
    Early Gen: 256

Tab 2 - Dedicated Server
    Max: 1024
    Initial: 1024
    Early Gen: 256

Those settings "should" work. to get at least logs generate, but I assume those should make the game work again.

- Andy

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Those settings "should" work. to get at least logs generate, but I assume those should make the game work again.

- Andy
    Ok those settings made the game work again but the strange thing is that the previously posted settings worked just fine for a very long time before the problem started.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    yeah, good point, but it should be pure luck. =)

From your settings.properties:
    earlyGenMemory=6144

its by default on 128 and some texture packs and block additions cause issues and 256 will work then. However 6144 is.. too much :P
    it should have used up memory you may have needed elsewhere and on some point this may have been the reason to run the "other memory" areas to run out of memory and crash.

- Andy

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    yeah, good point, but it should be pure luck. =)

From your settings.properties:
    earlyGenMemory=6144

its by default on 128 and some texture packs and block additions cause issues and 256 will work then. However 6144 is.. too much :p
    it should have used up memory you may have needed elsewhere and on some point this may have been the reason to run the "other memory" areas to run out of memory and crash.

- Andy
    Just an FYI that these settings worked for me for over a year without issue until now, also Tydeth plugged in my settings to his own SM and confirmed it worked fine; he has 16gig of ram.