Recognized Galaxy Redesign and new types of Galaxy.

Reaction score
    It is very annoying to me how the galaxy's in starmade are layed out like grids and the stars in each galaxy are at least at the center extremely close to each other. A galaxy should be a lot larger and less dense, with plenty of empty systems between every star.

also there should be more kinds of galaxy considering not everything is a spiral.

ELLIPTICAL:
    A massive galaxy usually double the size of the spiral galaxy, Doesnt have the procedural nebula effects since these galaxy's are very sparse in dust or other rescources (Yes it would be extremely sparse in planets, Asteroids or stations,) All the stars would be yellow, And there would be a yellow glow effect emanating from the center outwards. Example:

IRREGULAR:
    Irregular galaxy's are relatively small compares to the others and have no distinct shape, (Basically the generation of such a galaxy would be completely random.) Rich in gas these galaxy's would offer a lot of resource rich nebula's and asteroids as well as planets. Example:

GLOBULAR CLUSTER:
    A globular cluster would be sort of a mini galaxy, Usual about 10x10x10 systems in size they would be tiny elliptical galaxy's sharing every trait with the exception of density, A Globular cluster in starmade would have at least 5 stars for every system making a very hot and bright place. Example:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I do not believe it would be hard to introduce new galaxy shapes into the game. I would personally like to see galaxies even further apart than they are currently and having them tilt as well. I cannot attest to how easy it would be to diverge from the current grid system that is used for sectors and star systems. For the sake of simplicity and gameplay it would appear there are no plans to change how star systems are placed within a galaxy. The sector system will absolutely remain a core feature of the world generation, otherwise we could not have universes this large.

Reaction score
    I wasjst commentingthe other day to some friends about this, having some variety in galaxy formations would be great.

As for increasing distance between galaxies I think the range of jump drives and warp gates would need extending, as it is I think distances between gates is too short.

Maybe jump drives could have a new module for such travel, like a jump booster, that extends the drives range but has a large resource/credit cost to off set the extended range, as well as a huge power use and charge time so they're impractical for anything other than intergalactic exploration.

Reaction score
    I do not believe it would be hard to introduce new galaxy shapes into the game. I would personally like to see galaxies even further apart than they are currently and having them tilt as well. I cannot attest to how easy it would be to diverge from the current grid system that is used for sectors and star systems. For the sake of simplicity and gameplay it would appear there are no plans to change how star systems are placed within a galaxy. The sector system will absolutely remain a core feature of the world generation, otherwise we could not have universes this large.
    I am not saying that the sector system should be replaced. I just mean that there should be more empty systems between star systems. :)

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Not so sure I agree with the original post so much. Current estimates for the number of stars in the Milkyway sit between 100 billion and 400 billion. I tend to see more quoting the lower number. Estimates as to how many have planetary solar systems is between 50% and 100% most going for closer to 100%. The reasons is simple there is always material left over and gets dragged into a stars gravitational pull even if it just comes from outsides its own solar system. Stars also don't just ride a single path around the galaxy they tend to look more like a swarm of bees bobbing up and down as they go. As you get closer to the center of the galaxy material increases. You should have a greater chance of running into rogue planets up to a point once you get so far in it becomes more likely a planet gets caught in a stars gravitational pull.

So in short the closer to the center of the galaxy you travel the more likely you are to find a planet. However, if you are looking for planets compatible with human life that will go down. the biggest reason would be radiation. Also once you get so far in looking up at the sky will be like looking at the sun pretty or a white bright haze. You really won't be able to distinguish stars out in the sky. Just think of the number of advancements we have simply because we wanted to see the stars better or explore out there. So what will that have as effect on a life form that grows there who knows.

What I do agree with is that galaxies do come in various sizes and shapes and not all on one plain. I would say its possible to make galaxies with more shapes and angles but I don't know how hardwired their grid system is in size and such.

That said I think they have bigger more pressing issues at the moment.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would love to see additional galaxy shapes beyond spiral. Since this is a Science Fiction game, it doesn't even need to be limited to shapes we know of currently. I'd like to see a toroidal galaxy, with a black hole at the center that's the cause of the void in the center. Also a starburst galaxy that has arms of systems shooting out in all directions like a firework explosion, perhaps from some giant supernova that's gone off at the center. The mind boggles at the possibilities!!! :D

Reactions: Criss and Parameter

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I would like a option for having a bigger, yet only single galaxy... Perhaps double the size of what we have today...
    Because currently, what happens on most servers is people travelling far, far away, to a galaxy that is nowhere, and therefore, becomes unable to interact with anyone - also, this kind of journey causes more server data generation, making things unhealthy for said administration.

Of course, some game issues like the bad decision of not having asteroids respawning would have to be reviewed. But this idea would be for a future...

Reaction score
    I would like to see galaxies with a bit more realism, voids with nebulous clouds, gravitational anomalies, or radioactive effects. But yes, it would be interesting to end up in a space where no planets or star can be seen. (Additional: Do suns have any kind of substance now, last time I was in here they were very much a graphical point, but no actual sun. Which I found to be very disappointing and would like to see some time)