FPS problems

Reaction score
    Hi I've been playing starmade for years on my old pc and never had any problems but I recently bought a new laptop and my fps dropped to below 10fps. I've updated Java, set the RAM to 16Gb and selected the lowest qualities in the game options only to find out it didn't had any effect. Anyone with the same problem and a solution?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also make sure you have a dedicated/discrete GPU, and that Javaw.exe is running on it.

Reaction score
    Can you provide full system specs of your laptop? Use speccy (Speccy - System Information - Free Download) to quickly see your system
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz
    Skylake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. N552VX (U3E1)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    ForceWare version: 384.76
    SLI Disabled
    Storage
    119GB SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-00004 (SSD)
    931GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUE1N
    Audio
    Plantronics HD1

TBB

Reaction score
    That should run... :p

First check that your dedicated GPU is actually running (if you want to be 100% sure it's not your laptop, launch another game).
    Than you can check GPU utilization, but I'm guessing it's not going to be high.

Next I would simply check a completely fresh installation (in a clean folder from a clean set-up) and troubleshoot from there.

After that you mess around with Java.
    You should know that by default SM uses a Java installation that is included in the bundle (to avoid issues).
    In order to use your own you need to configure this in the screen after login in "Options".
    Also make sure you install the runtime env (JRE)...

If it still doesn't work, check if the GPU still behaves the same (utilization).
    If it doesn't I would worry because I can't tell you why.
    If it does... Good luck... There is going to be a fix, but at the moment I can't think of anything other than some settings like chunk drawing & frame buffer.

Just to be sure check CPU utilization. You never know.

If you share your laptop with someone and other games have the same issue. I would politely ask if that person could "help", but don't point fingers and maybe he/she will let you know if something happened.

Reaction score
    Everybody thanks for the support, I found the solution and it's stupid xD I turned off fullscreen and borderless windowed mode and it was fixed, now I can play with high settings at a solid 60fps and higher. Again thank you all for helping me :)

Last edited: