Forum Fun Facts: The Warnings System and Bans

resba

administrator
    Reaction score
    With the new forums system, we have done away with "hardbans" as they once were referred to. For every rule that's broken on a specific post a moderator or admin will issue a "warning point" using the warning system. These points can expire after a certain duration or can be permanent based on the severity of the infraction.

After a user acquires 3 or more active Warning Points the user will no longer be able to access the forum until the count goes below 3 (in other words, whenever enough points expire to drop the count below 3) The only time we will ever issue a 3-point Warning is under an extreme circumstance, not as a common occurrence.

Reaction score
    Cool. :) Hard-bans are a bad tool anyway. They permaban, even if said user has learnt there lesson. (like me)

This system should be pretty cool, kind of reminds me of CS:GO comp (Although a lot fairer...)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    With the new forums system, we have done away with "hardbans" as they once were referred to. For every rule that's broken on a specific post a moderator or admin will issue a "warning point" using the warning system. These points can expire after a certain duration or can be permanent based on the severity of the infraction.

After a user acquires 3 or more active Warning Points the user will no longer be able to access the forum until the count goes below 3 (in other words, whenever enough points expire to drop the count below 3) The only time we will ever issue a 3-point Warning is under an extreme circumstance, not as a common occurrence.
    and bans on the forum does that mean you can't look the forum at all?

resba

administrator
    Reaction score
    and bans on the forum does that mean you can't look the forum at all?
    You can see the forums, you can't post however. This system only applies to the forums, not the rest of StarMade.

Reactions: Elit3

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What if admins make 3 single warnings on the same user?

In the "http://zero-k.info"-Forum, posts with more than 5 dislikes and no like at all will collapse into a "Post below threshold" line between other posts.
    • If it is clear that you should only dislike (similar to report?) posts which distract from the thread, it could avoid most rage, bans, etc and give users a good feedback.
    • The only problem is if somebody starts thinking that he get bullied by the same haters over and over again. I don't know if that can be solved

Reactions: Elit3
    Reaction score
    I like it. It's like a cooldown system, kinda like 4chan's system, so I can get used to it.
    Of course, I won't need to get used to it...I don't plan on using it...

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What if admins make 3 single warnings on the same user?
    I mark the report as solved before I take any action, so that another moderator doesn't come in and handle it as well.
    It lowers the risk, and honestly, the risk isn't that high anyway. There's like 10 people that handle warnings, and we're spread out all over the world in different time zones. The chances of two of us, let alone three, all handling a report at the same time are very low. Very very low.

Besides, we'd notice after the fact anyway that suddenly the person had been banned, and we'd just remove two of the points. But yeah, was a mod on another forum for over 6 months, never had an instance of that happen.

Edit: Right after I post this, I try to resolve a report and it gives me an error because another mod already handled it :p

Last edited:

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    I mark the report as solved before I take any action, so that another moderator doesn't come in and handle it as well.
    It lowers the risk, and honestly, the risk isn't that high anyway. There's like 10 people that handle warnings, and we're spread out all over the world in different time zones. The chances of two of us, let alone three, all handling a report at the same time are very low. Very very low.

Besides, we'd notice after the fact anyway that suddenly the person had been banned, and we'd just remove two of the points. But yeah, was a mod on another forum for over 6 months, never had an instance of that happen.
    Yeap, we can always remove the points if something went wrong, its a good way to check up on eachother too.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just hope that the feature also handles issues with 2 ppls reporting on the same post - that it does not make 2 reports action-able to mods.
    Yeap, we can always remove the points if something went wrong, its a good way to check up on eachother too.
    Sure, but there is at any time a chance to miss an issue. Maybe a tired admin... - and it creates extra work :p

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just hope that the feature also handles issues with 2 ppls reporting on the same post - that it does not make 2 reports action-able to mods.
    The reported post becomes an item on the reported list, and the report itself becomes kind of like a comment on that item. Additional reports become additional comments on the same item.

Sure, but there is at any time a chance to miss an issue. Maybe a tired admin... - and it creates extra work :p
    If this ever happens, as unlikely as it is, and you are above 3 warning points, feel free to use the contact us function of the forums at http://starmadedock.net/misc/contact as you'll be banned and unable to PM a mod.
    I'm sure someone will look over the warnings you've received and remove any duplicates. But as I say, if mods follow the proper protocol this'll never happen.

Reactions: NeonSturm