For the love of sweet baby Jesus!! (and other Inventory Filtering desires)

Reaction score
    I must be thick, because I just don’t get the inventory filtering feature.

What I want:
    A single storage block where I can dump my entire inventory with an array of “filtered” storage blocks linked that will pull by item category (armor, weapons, resources, like Shops).

Please tell me this is possible!

I will send cookies to the person who can help me make this want a reality.

Come on people! COOKIES!!

-Runeseer

Reaction score
    Not possible yet, sorry. SOON etc, I would've thought that with the new GUI we'd be able to, but apparently not.

No cookies for us.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Don't worry, baby jesus gets his love, i get a cookie and Toyata can feel all silly. Win / Wins all round eh?

This is actually possible!

Place 1 storage block. The block you desire to dump your inventory into.

Now place your X number of storage blocks you wish to transfer the items into. Link these using C and V. Your dumping storage block is the master.

On the slave blocks, you can "Add Pull". This means on every tick, you may pull an item from the master, at a quantity you specify. While the exact shop categories are not added to the pull list, you could make your own category specific slaves, and then pull again from them into singular item storage blocks.

This allows you to create a tree of storage blocks, all slaved to one another in whatever manner you please. Pulling different items at quantities.

The new UI allows you to "PULL ALL". This will transfer any and all blocks at a specified quantity per tick.

I'm quite sure Bench has shown a ship before in his logic tutorials that shows a logic driven mining ship, that self categorises each ore and crystal into labeled storage blocks, then transfers the dirt and rocks into a drop pod with a timed explosive on it. All automated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem is it's still rather difficult to set up in the first place, as you have to maunally add every type of block, and then set them to 99999.
    There's a thread over here about it in the suggestions forum.

Reaction score
    as you have to maunally add every type of block,
    kupu This is what I meant, I remain unsilly :D It is physically possible but still very finnicky due to that. The news post said something about the gui being ironed out, is that on the neverending to-do list?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    kupu This is what I meant, I remain unsilly :D It is physically possible but still very finnicky due to that. The news post said something about the gui being ironed out, is that on the neverending to-do list?
    Hmm, i'll have a look into it. See if i can revert the scoreboard to Toyota being sillied.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Don't worry, baby jesus gets his love, i get a cookie and Toyata can feel all silly. Win / Wins all round eh?

This is actually possible!

Place 1 storage block. The block you desire to dump your inventory into.

Now place your X number of storage blocks you wish to transfer the items into. Link these using C and V. Your dumping storage block is the master.

On the slave blocks, you can "Add Pull". This means on every tick, you may pull an item from the master, at a quantity you specify. While the exact shop categories are not added to the pull list, you could make your own category specific slaves, and then pull again from them into singular item storage blocks.

This allows you to create a tree of storage blocks, all slaved to one another in whatever manner you please. Pulling different items at quantities.

The new UI allows you to "PULL ALL". This will transfer any and all blocks at a specified quantity per tick.

I'm quite sure Bench has shown a ship before in his logic tutorials that shows a logic driven mining ship, that self categorises each ore and crystal into labeled storage blocks, then transfers the dirt and rocks into a drop pod with a timed explosive on it. All automated.
    Actually the chest that pulls the items has to be the master. Slaves give items to it's master.

I have not done a full tutorial on this aspect but I did briefly cover it setting up my "Advanced Ore Processor"

You just have to cut out the middleman and link your filtered storage chest into the dump chest.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Actually the chest that pulls the items has to be the master. Slaves give items to it's master.

I have not done a full tutorial on this aspect but I did briefly cover it setting up my "Advanced Ore Processor"

You just have to cut out the middleman and link your filtered storage chest into the dump chest.
    Factories need to let you specify how many of an item to create.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Factories need to let you specify how many of an item to create.
    They already do, how ever many factory enhancers is attached to it is how many items that factory will produce, plus one for the factory itself. That capsule refinery in the video will refine 100 ore, shards, and dirt at a time.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    the storage pull filter does need some more easier ways of setting up categories more easily, but it is possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    They already do, how ever many factory enhancers is attached to it is how many items that factory will produce, plus one for the factory itself. That capsule refinery in the video will refine 100 ore, shards, and dirt at a time.
    Not what I mean. I'd like to tell the factory "make 100 Grey Standard Armor", then go away and when I come back have 100 blocks. With your system the factory will make blocks as long as it has the resources.

Reaction score
    I have this setup on my station.

I set up a warehouse with a storage block set to pull 999,999 of everything I call the collector. I have other blocks located around that station that are slaved to that block. That means that anything put in any linked storage bin gets dragged to the warehouse by the collector.

I then have a lot of other storage bins and display blocks in the warehouse for each category I want, ie. basic hull, standard armor, advanced armor, weapons, etc. You can cut-paste (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) when using the filter to make it much easier to find the items in the category for each box. Once you have all the items you want for a particular box, you set it as master (C) then set the collector as the slave (V). This will then pull those items from the collector.

Basically, the setup is the collector has slaves at my docks so I can dump stuff quickly. The collector in turn is slaved to all the category sorting boxes.

(p.s. I did the same thing in minecraft once upon a time, but it's much, much more involved, espec since you have to build smart hoppers that can only sort out a single block. Starmade is much moar betterer for this project).

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not what I mean. I'd like to tell the factory "make 100 Grey Standard Armor", then go away and when I come back have 100 blocks. With your system the factory will make blocks as long as it has the resources.
    Well in that case you need an item clock to turn the factory off after a set time, not hard to make.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Personally, I think that the whole approach to inventory management could benefit from a substantial retrofit :)

Setting up pull-filter schemes is too much like database management and not enough like play for my tastes. It's better than nothing and lets this awesome game function for now, but there is a massive room for improvement in this area that affects almost every aspect of the game.

I've suggested a general proposal on this just today, and I am not the first by any means.

Reaction score
    Personally, I think that the whole approach to inventory management could benefit from a substantial retrofit :)

Setting up pull-filter schemes is too much like database management and not enough like play for my tastes. It's better than nothing and lets this awesome game function for now, but there is a massive room for improvement in this area that affects almost every aspect of the game.

I've suggested a general proposal on this just today, and I am not the first by any means.
    Just taking a quick look at your suggestion made me cry.

Building a large ship when you can only hold 1k mass or 5k mass or whatever would bite. Add in the fact I'm flipping between pages in my inventory, and I'm going to kill things. Prolly you. Which server do you play on just in case something like this comes into play? ;)

Current storage can hold as much of a type (or multislot) as you want to throw at it. I have millions upon millions of crystal circuits and alloyed metal mesh sitting in a box marked "Manufacturing materials". I don't even have to stick them in there. When I turn scrap into materials, it goes there automatically. When I refine crystals or ore, the circuits and metal go there. When I find some after bashing loot pinatas and toss into my dock unloading box, it goes there.

Setting up my warehouse took me about two hours, and only that long because I kept changing my mind on categories. And now I WILL NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AGAIN IN A MAJOR WAY. Even when the devs add new blocks, or when I've missed something, all I have to do is look in my collector box and see that something hasn't been pulled, and I quickly find it a new home and add them to my warehouse storage boxes. Easy peasy to maintain.

Another fun trick, especially with loot pinatas (ie. pirates that drop loot clouds). Set up the storage in your ship to chain grab everything from the previous box in the chain. This was made a lot easier as you can now set the amount to pull the same time you hit the pull everything button. Now when you start throwing stuff into boxes while sitting in the loot cloud, you don't have to worry about what goes where. It'll all get pulled and piled up automatically at the end of the chain and then slowly fill up as you get more and more different items. This took me about 15 minutes to set up a 20 box chain which is way more than I usually need for pinata bashing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Set up the storage in your ship to chain grab everything from the previous box in the chain.
    Actually, you'd want to have one box pull from every previous box in the chain. If box n (last one in the chain) gets filled up, and then box n-1 gets filled up, then anything in box n won't get filled.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    the storage pull filter does need some more easier ways of setting up categories more easily, but it is possible.
    easiest way in my opinion would be to have it possible to set shop categories as filters.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Just taking a quick look at your suggestion made me cry.

Building a large ship when you can only hold 1k mass or 5k mass or whatever would bite. Add in the fact I'm flipping between pages in my inventory, and I'm going to kill things. Prolly you. Which server do you play on just in case something like this comes into play? ;)
    So allow use of the inventory window from alternate inventories in build mode :)
    Thought I made it pretty clear that the point was to streamline; none of my suggestions resulting in problems are hard-fast. I cried too when the server I played on bugged out and I lost all the work I put into my old inventory system. I'm sorry I made you cry - I assume that it's because I suggested a change to something you were forced to invest a lot of thought and energy into coming to grips with. That's how I react to those kind of changes too. An inventory system that requires so much of an investment that those who have mastered it cry at the thought of it becoming obsolete is kind of an indicator that the system is at least a little broken.

Do you feel that there's no room for improvement in this alpha-stage inventory control system, or do you just prefer to focus on shooting down constructive suggestions rather than proposing viable improvements yourself?

Setting up my warehouse took me about two hours, and only that long because I kept changing my mind on categories. And now I WILL NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AGAIN IN A MAJOR WAY. Even when the devs add new blocks, or when I've missed something, all I have to do is look in my collector box and see that something hasn't been pulled, and I quickly find it a new home and add them to my warehouse storage boxes. Easy peasy to maintain.
    I'm glad you finally figured it out. It definitely takes some trying out of different organization approaches :)
    You'll eventually have to deal with it again though, unless digital systems have become insanely reliable while I slept last night. Servers go away sometimes. Things get hacked. Data corrupts eventually. Crime happens. Disasters happen. Situations may change or take on different aspect in the future. Bases may not stay completely invulnerable. Production or harvesting may change substantially enough to require deep retrofit of your system. This is open alpha, not a commercial release stage product. Over a long period of play the need to re-construct inventory management systems client-side WILL recur for most players as long as the inventory system is built to put the responsibility for organizing it on the Client (I assume that the developers intend to profit from their work).

Also, I think you forget the plight of Faction-members sharing space on a station built and maintained by someone else. I certainly wish that only competent, responsible adults would ever attempt to lead factions who would never stop playing on a server once they started. But that's utopian nonsense and the current system will bite every faction member who undergoes a leadership change or whose leader's wife goes aggro.

The idea of NEVER in relation to a game is a bit of a fantasy, IMO. Especially a game in alpha stage development.

If you're deeply attached to the current inventory management system and the clever solutions you've discovered for making it work (as that is what players have been required to do - engineer via player interface - clever ways to make a rather clunky system work smoothly) that's something I acknowledged in my proposal. I totally respect the robust solutions players (like you) have come up with for handling the current system, especially since they've shared those with others which made my learning process easier XD This is listed as an alpha-stage project though and that usually implies that every in-game system is open for potential improvements that enhance game play - I think you'd profit more from making your own suggestions to streamline and improve the inventory system in a way you think is more sensible, than to simply argue against change because you've invested in the status quo and hate to see that investment erased like a titan thrown into a star by a wormhole.

In support of my belief that this system WILL eventually undergo substantial change, please note that I wasn't the OP for this thread expressing exasperation with the current inventory management system. Also that this is not the first or only similar thread. In fact, half of the suggestions in my proposal were compiled from other threads already posted on this forum ;)

Reactions: Gristle
    Reaction score
    My suggestion for inventory improvement would be much simpler.

Just let the filter grab everything by a typed-in category.

For example, if I type "advanced armor" into the filter, every block that has advanced armor in its name should go into that storage bin. That way I don't have to pick all 5 blocks in every color of advanced armor when setting it up.

If we could do multiple typed in filters, even better. For example, if I want to put all the planet materials in a box, I could filter "dirt", "rock", "sand", etc and it would grab grassy dirt, all the burnt dirt, etc.

But again, no need to change player inventory or how bins work now. Just improve and simplify setting up the filters.