Planned Folder for Pirate, Trading Guild, etc Ships.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Update:We have a " Planned " prefix, woot!

I thank all those who took the time to look at this post :)

Could we get a folder to place blueprints for Pirate, Trading guild, etc ships? Instead of random across all
    blueprints in the blueprint folder? That way, we could make specific ships for the Trading Guild like, cargo ships or tankers etc... and Pirates, they could still have all the Isanth variants and what ever else we would like to add. That way, on servers that like to RP say like Starwars could have the Pirate faction have all the Empire ships and players will have Rebellion ships, etc... Since we can now do this with stations blueprints, how about it for blueprints for ships as well?

How does everyone else feel about this?
    Majority like the folders or dare I say everyone? ;)

Updated Info:

Ok, so now we have Permissions box that has the following:

[ ] Faction [ ] Other [ ] Homebase [ ] Enemy Usable

If we are not going in the direction of faction folders for ships could we get at least a configxml so we can add factions that also would add the corresponding check box in the permission box? If not, how about adding [ ] Trading Guild ?

Update 2:

We have the Planned prefix, and hopefully the Devs are going with the folder / xml or cfg system.

Last edited:
    Reactions: RoyalWolfe

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Heck yes. This has been asked for since... who-knows-how-long. And this system's expandable too - When custom factions are implemented, blueprints can simply be placed in their folder.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Heck yes. This has been asked for since... who-knows-how-long. And this system's expandable too - When custom factions are implemented, blueprints can simply be placed in their folder.
    heya Ithirahad, yeah, I just figured I would re-post the idea in case others haven't seen it mentioned before. ;)
    but the new update prompted me even more so when I read about the Station folders...

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really hope they already have the idea in mind and have it planned for the next update! ;-)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This would only be a stop gap measure, as I imagine the current custom station system is too. In the future we should have the ability to specify exactly what kind of AI factions there are and not just limited to pirates and trade guild.

Reactions: Blodge

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This would only be a stop gap measure, as I imagine the current custom station system is too. In the future we should have the ability to specify exactly what kind of AI factions there are and not just limited to pirates and trade guild.
    true, And any other faction that gets added, should have a corresponding folder for their ships :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    true, And any other faction that gets added, should have a corresponding folder for their ships :)
    I'd hope we'd have some kind of in game interface instead of just a folder tree system. The ability just to select what ships we want the ai factions to use as well as more in depth spawning parameters to control when and how many of the ships spawn, and how they act once they do. Trader AIs that flee from combat or warships that search and destroy.

Reactions: mrsinister

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'd hope we'd have some kind of in game interface instead of just a folder tree system. The ability just to select what ships we want the ai factions to use as well as more in depth spawning parameters to control when and how many of the ships spawn, and how they act once they do. Trader AIs that flee from combat or warships that search and destroy.
    I was thinking this same thing if they would not add the folders. I thought, why don't we have a drop menu where we can select what is spawnable?....lol course this was way back at build 5 or 7 cause back then I was getting hammered by my own ships...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well the folder should also have a file with the behaviors of the faction as well (when it expands) So who it likes, who it hates, Any blocks types it doesn't like to see on ships (yholes), leinceny, how far from from bases they roam, etc, etc.

Reaction score
    Per-faction ships is (I think) 100% planned, but it's likely going to arrive with a whole new factions system. Factions system might be before/after fauna or intelligent fauna is implemented, seeing as how they're related. Each sentient high-tech NPC could have its own faction, and its own diplomacy. I wonder how inter-faction diplomacy will work, I think that's not gonna be easy to code...

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Per-faction ships is (I think) 100% planned, but it's likely going to arrive with a whole new factions system. Factions system might be before/after fauna or intelligent fauna is implemented, seeing as how they're related. Each sentient high-tech NPC could have its own faction, and its own diplomacy. I wonder how inter-faction diplomacy will work, I think that's not gonna be easy to code...
    hmm, interesting.....and as far as coding, if you're code-fu master then it's probably not too hard ;)

Reaction score
    hmm, interesting.....and as far as coding, if you're code-fu master then it's probably not too hard ;)
    True, Schema is a master coder. :cool:
    What I meant, is creating a variety of situations and implementing factions with different motivations and so on, is difficult. That is probably more of implementation than coding. Do you have one fully united species for each faction? Or do you have sub-factions?

RANT AHEAD
    Pirates could be opportunistic during wartime, but not likely if it's a war with an enemy bent on annihilating their civilization. Or if the pirate faction is xenophobic. Basically, the more detailed it gets, the more complicated it gets. So it depends on how complicated you make it. If you want a complicated, realistic world, it could get tricky, fast.

A faction needs to look after it's overall interests, not just randomly "enemy of my enemy", when lawful forces are set as an enemy and the Borg are attacking the lawful forces. And actual pirates, for instance, don't want to actually destroy the economy, just get their slice of the pie. So they probably demand something, rather than just destroying a transport vessel. They may have their own set of morals, viewing themselves as Robin-Hoods, only pirating the rich. Military may or may not attack civillians, depending on their code and possibly how desperate they are, as well if there is an embargo of some kind in an area.

You'd need a lot of "traits" for each faction and sub-faction, if we would have those(police are not likely to be fighting a war, nor are traders). Perhaps certain traits of a species could be likely to group together? You could group factions into civilizations, this might help.

Last edited:

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    True, Schema is a master coder. :cool:
    What I meant, is creating a variety of situations and implementing factions with different motivations and so on, is difficult. That is probably more of implementation than coding. Do you have one fully united species for each faction? Or do you have sub-factions?
    ahh ok, interesting "rant".....though I wouldn't call it rant really...but yeah, I see were you are coming from. Basically a higher form of A.I. with some basic behaviors/actions, coupled with an advanced tier of thought/actions would be quite the feat....or am I going over board?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sven_The_Slayer

...So no, this isn't a stopgap measure.

Last edited by a moderator: