Fixed -:- Private dedicated Server has suddenly started to bug out.

Reaction score
    Ok so I'm new to Starmade I've been playing for just over 3 weeks, I've had the server up for less than a week and I on it fine until about 14 hours ago.
    Now I stream as was recommend but everyone watching to change the max build area from 10 to 100, which I did about 2 hours ago.

After I logged in it was fine, I started doing more work on my build and everything was normal, after a little while I needed to go harvest some more resources, and that when things started to go wrong.
    after mining part of a planet I jumped to another planet, but the planet would not load properly.
    So I restart the game but there was still bugs and then the server crashed, after reloading the server I noticed I had some programs running on the server that were not meant to be running and thought that maybe it was a ram issues, however after I tried to log back in I got this error "Client has not sent any logininformation" on the server and my client told me I could not connect. After restarting the entire server I could connect however I was unable to buy anything from the shops and I was unable to mine.
    So after that I tried the /shutdown 0 commanded on the server, but It just hang and then said "[Simulation ] Checking Sectors to plan activity.... (5, -2, -19) to (13, 6, -11)" over and over again.

My server.cf
    Code:
    WORLD = I.D.Server //set world to use (set 'old' for using the old world). if no world exists a new one will be set automatically

PROTECT_STARTING_SECTOR = false //Protects the starting sector

ENABLE_SIMULATION = true //Universe AI simulation

CONCURRENT_SIMULATION = 256 //How many simulation groups may be in the universe simultaniously (performance)

ENEMY_SPAWNING = true //Enables enemy spawing

SECTOR_SIZE = 2000 //Sets the size of sectors in the universe **WARNING** scaling the size of an existing universe down may cause issues

BLUEPRINT_DEFAULT_PRIVATE = true //If true, set blueprints private as default (else they are public)

FLOATING_ITEM_LIFETIME_SECS = 240 //How much seconds items floating in space should be alive

SIMULATION_SPAWN_DELAY = 420 //How much seconds between simulation spawn ticks

SIMULATION_TRADING_FILLS_SHOPS = true //Trading guild will deliver stock to shops

SECTOR_INACTIVE_TIMEOUT = 20 //Time in secs after which sectors go inactive (-1 = off)

SECTOR_INACTIVE_CLEANUP_TIMEOUT = 10 //Time in secs after which inactive sectors are completely removed from memory (-1 = off)

USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = true //allow star-made.org authentication

REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = true //require star-made.org authentication (USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION must be true)

PROTECTED_NAMES_BY_ACCOUNT = 10 //How many player names a player may protect with his account (if exceeded, the player name, that was logged in the longest time ago gets unprotected)

DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = true //Default option for blueprints not in catalog yet

DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_FACTION_BUY = true //Default option for blueprints not in catalog yet

DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_OTHERS_BUY = true //Default option for blueprints not in catalog yet

DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_HOME_BASE_BUY = true //Default option for blueprints not in catalog yet

LOCK_FACTION_SHIPS = true //If true, ships of other factions cant be edited, activated, or entered

DEBUG_FSM_STATE = false //transfer debug FSM state. Turning this on may slow down network

PHYSICS_SHAPE_CASTING_TUNNELING_PREVENTION = false //Makes a convex cast for hight speed object to prevent clipping. High Cost. (Bugged right now, so dont turn it on)

CATALOG_SLOTS_PER_PLAYER = -1 //How many slots per player for saved ships (-1 for unlimited)

UNIVERSE_DAY_IN_MS = 1200000 //how long is a 'day' (stellar system rotation) in milliseconds (-1 to switch off system rotation)

FORCE_DISK_WRITE_COMPLETION = false //forces writing operations of raw data to disk directly after operation. For some OS this prevents raw data corruption

ASTEROIDS_ENABLE_DYNAMIC_PHYSICS = true //enables asteroids to be able to move in space

ENABLE_BREAK_OFF = false //debug (don't activate unless you know what you're doing)

COLLISION_DAMAGE = false //colliding into another object does damage

COLLISION_DAMAGE_THRESHOLD = 2.0 //Threshold of Impulse that does damage (the lower, the less force is needed for damage)

SKIN_ALLOW_UPLOAD = true //if off, skin uploading to server is deactivated

CATALOG_NAME_COLLISION_HANDLING = false //if off, saving with an existing entry is denied, if on the name is automatically changed by adding numbers on the end

SECTOR_AUTOSAVE_SEC = 300 //Time interval in secs the server will autosave (-1 for never)

PHYSICS_SLOWDOWN_THRESHOLD = 40 //Milliseconds a collision test may take before anti-slowdown mode is activated

THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT = 75 //How fast ships, etc. may go in m/s . Too high values may induce physics tunneling effects

MAX_CLIENTS = 10 //Max number of clients allowed on this server

SUPER_ADMIN_PASSWORD_USE = false //Enable super admin for this server

SUPER_ADMIN_PASSWORD = mypassword //Super admin password for this server

SERVER_LISTEN_IP = all //Enter specific ip for the server to listen to. use "all" to listen on every ip

SOCKET_BUFFER_SIZE = 65536 //buffer size of incoming and outgoing data per socket

PHYSICS_LINEAR_DAMPING = 0.05 //how much object slow down naturally (must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no slowdown

PHYSICS_ROTATIONAL_DAMPING = 0.05 //how much object slow down naturally (must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no slowdown

AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none

AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items spawned after AI destruction. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none

CHEST_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none

CHEST_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items spawned in chests of generated chests. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none

USE_WHITELIST = true //only names/ips from whitelist.txt are allowed

FILTER_CONNECTION_MESSAGES = false //don't display join/disconnect messages

USE_UDP = false //Use 'User Datagram Protocol' (UDP) instead of 'Transmission Control Protocol' (TCP) for connections

AUTO_KICK_MODIFIED_BLUEPRINT_USE = false //Kick players that spawn modified blueprints

AUTO_BAN_ID_MODIFIED_BLUEPRINT_USE = false //Ban player by name that spawn modified blueprints

AUTO_BAN_IP_MODIFIED_BLUEPRINT_USE = false //Ban player by IP that spawn modified blueprints

AUTO_BAN_TIME_IN_MINUTES = 60 //Time to ban in minutes (-1 for permanently)

REMOVE_MODIFIED_BLUEPRINTS = false //Auto-removes a modified blueprint

DEBUG_SEGMENT_WRITING = false //Debugs correctness of writing of segments (costs server performance)

TCP_NODELAY = true //Naggles algorithm (WARNING: only change when you know what you're doing)

PING_FLUSH = false //flushes ping/pong immediately (WARNING: only change when you know what you're doing)

RECIPE_BLOCK_COST = 5000 //How much blocks have to be invested to create a recipe (min 0)

SHOP_SPAWNING_PROBABILITY = 0.1 //(must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no shops spawned in asteroid sectors, 1 is shop spawned in everyone (default: 8% -> 0.08)

RECIPE_REFUND_MULT = 0.5 //how much blocks are refunded from selling a recipe (must be between 0 and 1): 0 no refund, 1 full refund

RECIPE_LEVEL_AMOUNT = 4000 //On how much created blocks will a recipe level up (base value) (min 0)

DEFAULT_SPAWN_SECTOR_X = 2 //DEFAULT Spawn Sector X Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_SECTOR_Y = 2 //DEFAULT Spawn Sector Y Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_SECTOR_Z = 2 //DEFAULT Spawn Sector Z Coordinate

MODIFIED_BLUEPRINT_TOLERANCE = 0.1 //Tolerance of modified blueprint trigger (default = 10%)

TURNING_DIMENSION_SCALE = 1.1 //Scaling of tuning speed VS ship dimension (default = 1.1)

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_X_1 = 8.0 //First Rotating Spawn: Local Pos X Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Y_1 = -6.5 //First Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Y Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Z_1 = 0.0 //First Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Z Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_X_2 = 15.0 //Second Rotating Spawn: Local Pos X Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Y_2 = -6.5 //Second Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Y Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Z_2 = 8.0 //Second Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Z Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_X_3 = 8.0 //Third Rotating Spawn: Local Pos X Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Y_3 = -6.5 //Third Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Y Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Z_3 = 15.0 //Third Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Z Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_X_4 = 0.0 //Forth Rotating Spawn: Local Pos X Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Y_4 = -6.5 //Forth Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Y Coordinate

DEFAULT_SPAWN_POINT_Z_4 = 8.0 //Forth Rotating Spawn: Local Pos Z Coordinate

PLAYER_DEATH_CREDIT_PUNISHMENT = 0.1 //players credits lost of total on death (must be between 0 and 1): 1 = lose all, 0 = keep all

PLAYER_DEATH_CREDIT_DROP = false //drop credits lost on death into space instead

PLAYER_DEATH_BLOCK_PUNISHMENT = false //player will drop all his blocks into space on death

PLAYER_DEATH_PUNISHMENT_TIME = 300 //Time interval in seconds after death of a player in which the player is not punished

PLAYER_DEATH_INVULNERABILITY_TIME = 5 //Time the player is invulnerable after death in sec

PLAYER_HISTORY_BACKLOG = 30 //How many login history objects (with name, IP, account-name, and time) should be saved by player state

PROJECTILES_ADDITIVE_VELOCITY = false //initial projectile speed depend on relative linear velocity of object fired from

PROJECTILES_VELOCITY_MULTIPLIER = 1.0 //multiplicator for projectile velocity
    IGNORE_DOCKING_AREA = false //ignores docking area size

ALLOW_UPLOAD_FROM_LOCAL_BLUEPRINTS = true //enables clients being able to upload their pre-build-blueprints to the server

SHOP_NPC_STARTING_CREDITS = 10000000 //how much credits do shops start with

SHOP_NPC_RECHARGE_CREDITS = 100000 //how much credits do shops gain about every 10 min

AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10 //how accurate the AI aims (the higher the value the more accurate vs distance. 10 = about 99% accuracy at 10m)

BROADCAST_SHIELD_PERCENTAGE = 5 //percent of shields changed for the server to broadcast a shield synch

BROADCAST_POWER_PERCENTAGE = 50 //percent of power changed for the server to broadcast a power synch (not that critical)

ADMINS_CIRCUMVENT_STRUCTURE_CONTROL = true //admins can enter ships of any faction

STAR_DAMAGE = true //suns dealing damage to entities

SQL_NIO_FILE_SIZE = 256 //megabyte limit of .data file when to use NIO (faster) (must be power of 2)

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 225.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)

PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 85.0 //Planet size standard deviation. Note: normal gaussian distribution graph scaled horizontally by 1/3 (min 0)

ASTEROID_RADIUS_MAX = 64 //Asteroid max radius in blocks (from -x to +x)

ASTEROID_RESOURCE_SIZE = 2.5 //Average diameter of resource veins in asteroids

ASTEROID_RESOURCE_CHANCE = 0.003 //Chance per block to place a new resource vein (1.0 = 100%)

PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA = 100 //max area a player may add/remove in adv. build mode

NT_SPAM_PROTECT_TIME_MS = 30000 //period of spam protection

ASTEROID_SECTOR_REPLENISH_TIME_SEC = -1 //seconds until a sector that is mined down to 0 asteroids is replenished (-1 = never)

NT_SPAM_PROTECT_MAX_ATTEMPTS = 30 //max attempts before refusing connections in spam protect period (default is 1/sec for 30 sec)

NT_SPAM_PROTECT_EXCEPTIONS = 127.0.0.1 //ips excepted from spam control (separate multiple with comma) (default is localhost)

NT_SPAM_PROTECT_ACTIVE = true //enables connection spawn protection (flooding servers with login attempts)

USE_PERSONAL_SECTORS = false //will spawn a player in a locked sector sandbox (warning, don't use unless you know what you do)

BATTLE_MODE = false //turn on battlemode (warning, don't use unless you know what you're doing)

BATTLE_MODE_CONFIG = battleSector=0,0,0,Physics.smsec;battleSector=15,15,15,Physics.smsec;countdownRound=300;countdownStart=30;maxMass=-1;maxDim=300;maxMassPerFaction=-1; //General config for battlemode

BATTLE_MODE_FACTIONS = [TeamA, fighters, 500,500,500, 0.5,0.1,0.9];[TeamB, fighters, -500,-500,-500, 0.5,0.9,0.2];[TeamFFA,ffa, 0,0,-500, 0.2,0.9,0.9];[Spectators,spectators, 0,500,0,0.8,0.4,0.8] //Faction config for battlemode

LEADERBOARD_BACKLOG = 24 //time in hours to keep leaderboard backlog (the more time, the more data has to be sent to client)

ANNOUNCE_SERVER_TO_SERVERLIST = false //announces the server to the starmade server list so clients can find it. Hostname must be provided for HOST_NAME_TO_ANNOUNCE_TO_SERVER_LIST!

HOST_NAME_TO_ANNOUNCE_TO_SERVER_LIST = //this must be a valid hostname (either ip or host, e.g. play.star-made.org)

SERVER_LIST_NAME = NoName //max length 64 characters

SERVER_LIST_DESCRIPTION = NoDescription //max length 128 characters

MISSILE_DEFENSE_FRIENDLY_FIRE = true //can shoot down own or missiles from own faction

USE_DYNAMIC_RECIPE_PRICES = true //use recipe based prices (the price is the price of the parts it is made out of in crafting)

DYNAMIC_RECIPE_PRICE_MODIFIER = 1.05 //modifier to adjust dynamic price

MAKE_HOMBASE_ATTACKABLE_ON_FP_DEFICIT = true //Home bases become attackable if a faction's Faction Points are in the minus and the faction doesn't own any territory

PLANET_SPECIAL_REGION_PROBABILITY = 240 //one out of thisValue chance of a special region spawning per planet plate (cities, pyramids, etc) (changing this value migth change some plates, but won't change any plates that are already modified by a player)

NT_BLOCK_QUEUE_SIZE = 1024 //How many blocks are sent per update. Huge placements will shot faster, but it will consume more bandwidth and is subject to spamming players

CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE_TOTAL = 10 //Thead pool size for chunk requests (from disk and generated)

CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE_CPU = 2 //Available threads of total for CPU generation. WARNING: too high can cause cpu spikes. About the amount of available cores minus one is best

BUY_BLUEPRINTS_WITH_CREDITS = false //buy blueprints directly with credits

SHOP_USE_STATIC_SELL_BUY_PRICES = false //shop buy and sell price change depending on stock (shop prices will always stay the same if true)

SHOP_SELL_BUY_PRICES_UPPER_LIMIT = 1.2 //maximum of base price a shop will want depending on its stock (e.g. max 120 credits if the normal cost is 100)

SHOP_SELL_BUY_PRICES_LOWER_LIMIT = 0.8 //minimum of base price a shop will want depending on its stock (e.g. max 80 credits if the normal cost is 100)

MINING_BONUS = 1 //general multiplier on all mining

MAX_LOGIC_SIGNAL_QUEUE_PER_OBJECT = 250000 //max logic trace queue allowed

MAX_COORDINATE_BOOKMARKS = 20 //coordinate bookmarks per player allowed

ALLOWED_STATIONS_PER_SECTOR = 1 //How many stations are allowed per sector

STATION_CREDIT_COST = 50000 //how much does a station or station blueprint cost

SKIN_SERVER_UPLOAD_BLOCK_SIZE = 256 //how fast should skins be transferred from server to clients (too high might cause lag) [default 256 ~ 16kb/s]

ALLOW_OLD_DOCKING_BEAM = false //enables old docking beam

WEIGHTED_CENTER_OF_MASS = true //if on, the center of mass for each structured will be calculated based on block mass. On 'false', the center of mass is always the core position

SECURE_UPLINK_ENABLED = false //dedicated servers can be registered on the StarMade registry

SECURE_UPLINK_TOKEN = //uplink token, provided when registering a dedicated server

USE_STRUCTURE_HP = true //ships and other structures use the hitpoint system. if off, a ship will overheat when the core gets taken out (old)

SHOP_REBOOT_COST_PER_SECOND = 100.0 //Cost to reboot a ship at a shop (per second it would take to reboot in space)

SHOP_ARMOR_REPAIR_COST_PER_HITPOINT = 1.0 //Cost to repair a ship's armor at a shop

MAX_SIMULTANEOUS_EXPLOSIONS = 10 //the more the faster explosions at the same time are executed (costs in total about 20MB RAM each and of course CPU because it's all threaded) (10 is default for a medium powered singleplayer)

REMOVE_ENTITIES_WITH_INCONSISTENT_BLOCKS = false //This will remove ships that have blocks that are normally disallowed (e.g. space station blocks on ships)

OVERRIDE_INVALID_BLUEPRINT_TYPE = true //If a loaded blueprint is invalid, it's type will be overridden

FACTION_FOUNDER_KICKABLE_AFTER_DAYS_INACTIVITY = 30 //Days of inactivity after which a founder may kick another founder

DEBUG_BEAM_POWER_CONSUMPTION = false //server will send notifications on power consumed (not counting power given from supply) on server (costs performance, so only use for debugging)

DEBUG_BEAM_TICKS_DONE = false //server will send notifications on ticks done on server (costs performance, so only use for debugging)

DEBUG_BEAM_POWER_PER_TICK = false //server will send notifications on beam power per tick on server (costs performance, so only use for debugging)

DEBUG_MISSILE_POWER_CONSUMPTION = false //server will send notifications on missiles on server (costs performance, so only use for debugging)

BLUEPRINT_SPAWNABLE_SHIPS = true //enables or disables blueprint spawning from item

BLUEPRINT_SPAWNABLE_STATIONS = true //enables or disables blueprint spawning from item

USE_OLD_GENERATED_PIRATE_STATIONS = false //enables spawning of old style pirate stations

CARGO_BLEED_AT_OVER_CAPACITY = false //cargo is ejected every minute if storage is at over capacity

ALLOW_PERSONAL_INVENTORY_OVER_CAPACITY = false //Personal Inventory can go over capacity

ONLY_ALLOW_FACTION_SHIPS_ADDED_TO_FLEET = false //only allows faction ships to be added to fleet

MAX_CHAIN_DOCKING = 25 //maximal deepness of docking chains (may cause glitches depending on OS (path and filename length) at high numbers)

SHOP_RAILS_ON_ADV = true //Advanced shops will have 4 rails dockers that can be used like a neutral homebase (anything docked is safe)

SHOP_RAILS_ON_NORMAL = false //Normal shops will have 4 rails dockers that can be used like a neutral homebase (anything docked is safe)

ALLOW_FLEET_FORMATION = true //Allows fleet formation

BACKUP_WORLD_ON_MIGRATION = true //Back up world when migrating to a new file format

BACKUP_BLUEPRINTS_ON_MIGRATION = true //Back up blueprints when migrating to a new file format

DISPLAY_GROUPING_DEBUG_INFORMATION = false //Displays grouping calculation information

SECTORS_TO_EXPLORE_FOR_SYS = 15 //How many sectors of a system have to be explored

NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT = -1 //Maximum npc factions per galaxy (-1 for unlimited (will still be around 2-10))

NPC_DEBUG_MODE = false //Sends complete NPC faction package to clients (very bandwith intensive)

FLEET_OUT_OF_SECTOR_MOVEMENT = 6000 //How long for an unloaded fleet to cross a sector in ms

NPC_LOADED_SHIP_MAX_SPEED_MULT = 0.7 //How fast NPC fleet ships are compared to their max speed when loaded

USE_FOW = true //Use 'fog of war'. Turning this off will make everything visible to everyone

NPC_LOG_MODE = 0 //use 0 for npc file logs [/logs/npc/] and 1 for normal log output

NPC_DEBUG_SHOP_OWNERS = //Additional shop owners for npc faction shops (case insensitive, seperate with comma)

SQL_PERMISSION = //user name allowed to sql query remotely (direct console always allowed /sql_query, /sql_update, /sql_insert_return_generated_keys) (case insensitive, seperate with comma)
    Server Specs

CPU~Dual core AMD FX-4350 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~1400/4200 MHz
    Kernel~4.8.0-34-generic x86_64 Up~1:27
    Mem~7713.4MB
    HDD~2000.4GB(1.1% used)
    Procs~173

I am running on Ubuntu 16.10 64bit no GUI server

Any Help would be appreciated as I am truly loving this game.

Update
    Ok so I tried to revert the build area and see if that would fix the problem however it did not, it worked for 10 mins then I was unable to mine again...after I loged out I could not log back in as I was getting the "Client has not sent any logininformation" error again

Please help

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Change your User Name and try to log on.

This will place you near Spawn at 2 2 2 and away from the planets where you crashed.

Please report back if this works i will look over your settings in the mean time.

At first glance this:

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 225.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)

PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 85.0 //Planet size standard deviation. Note: normal gaussian distribution graph scaled horizontally by 1/3 (min 0)
    Your servers processor is weak and the default StarMade planet size is pretty big. Do not change this yet though first try the log on under a different name.

Reaction score
    I just tried changing the ram allowance that java gives it in the StarMade-dedicated-Server-linux.sh from the max of 1gb to 4gb and up the min to 4gb as well.

This has appeared to fix the issues, I got the Idea when going through the logs and noted the java keeps running out of ram and yet the server was saving that was at must using 1.5gb of ram out of 8gb

I will update if this has not fixed it, and then I will try your approach and see what happens but at least for now it is working.

I was surprised at the small about of ram is was asking for by default.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This has appeared to fix the issues
    Either limit the builds on the server to the calculating power of the servers CPU and RAM

or

Give the server more resources so the Human imagination can expand.

You had a little room to add.

Beware that you might hit another Hardware limit at some point. Though 4 GB RAM is pretty good.

Some threads/posts you might like to read up on:

Your own builds/ships as enemy Pirates for others to combat.

Server Settings optimization

StarMade has been under development for a very long time. The game is getting more feature rich but also more resource hungry.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How the hell do you even make a server..?
    Well...

You either launch and host one yourself by hitting start Dedicated Server in the StarMade Launcher.

or

You get an external host and hire room on a server. They then set it up for you or you provide them with the files if you want to run it in a different way.

The Server Section on this forum even has a sub forum for External Hosting Companies.

Reaction score
    Well I start dedicated server, then I launch Starmade, and it just launches the game instead of the console to actually start the server shows up. I have already forwarded so I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.