Factory Queuing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Has anyone played a game called Gnomoria? No? Didnt think so. Well in that game you have workstations (they are basically factories powered by gnomes) and you produce items from them. Well if you tell the weaponsmith workstation to make a sword. The sword takes a hilt and a blade. Both of which are intermediate items. So What it does is it tells the carpenter station to take sticks and create a hilt. At the same time it is telling the weaponsmith station to make a sword blade. Then they both get taken to the weaponsmith station and made into a sword. I believe this should be possible by slaving factories to master factories. The master would tell the slaves to make the parts for advanced armor then it would siphon them out and create it. So how hard would it be to be able to queue up factories to craft intermediate products without manually setting it to the factory?

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, we sort of have that now, but you have to manually set the intermediary factories to produce what you wanr. After that though linking them let's you do complete automated runs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, we sort of have that now, but you have to manually set the intermediary factories to produce what you wanr. After that though linking them let's you do complete automated runs.
    Right. But I was hoping to have them auto produce the components that the master factory needs to make the item . Then revert back to producing nothing once the master factory has no production selected.

Reaction score
    The major complication I see with this is inventory management. In Gnomoria(played the demo), and games like it, all work stations have access to all resources via the gnomes going to where they're stored and bringing them to the bench. In Starmade resources are stored in specific storage or factory blocks.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I also am concerned about how it pretty much renders the lower factories useless.

I feel that if you have a default system in place that lets you completely ignore the requirements of intermediary components, then there is no point in having the intermediary components in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I also am concerned about how it pretty much renders the lower factories useless.

I feel that if you have a default system in place that lets you completely ignore the requirements of intermediary components, then there is no point in having the intermediary components in the first place.
    A lot of the intermediate components are actual items themselves. You would still need the lower factories to produce the items that will be sent to the master factory. They are still all needed. Each factory (Which could be a basic, standard, or advanced) under the master factory (Which could be a basic, standard, or advanced) will take a task from the master and complete it. then send the item to the master to create the desired item.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431906536,1431906247][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The major complication I see with this is inventory management. In Gnomoria(played the demo), and games like it, all work stations have access to all resources via the gnomes going to where they're stored and bringing them to the bench. In Starmade resources are stored in specific storage or factory blocks.
    Right. In the way that I set up my factories is that I link them to my storage supply and the factories auto pull it out as needed.