Factories broken in latest build?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are factories broken in this latest release? or do they need ridiculous more power then before?

As usual I created a new faction home on a Planet, placed a basic factory and some power blocks, but all I get is insufficient energy, even when I use the power gun.
    So what gives, I have more then 1000e/s power generation and still get that pesky message?

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The reason is not that you do not generate enough power, the planet-segments themselves do not have any power capacity on their own anymore. Regardless if you generate a trillion e/s, 0e out of 0e will always be 0e.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So you can't start on a planet anymore? Why is that, this definitely breaks any survival kind of play since you don't have a million credits any time soon when you start.

Sorry, despite all great additions this makes the game currently a lot less enjoyable to me to be honest...

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I assume it was not intended, but placing some bought power-capacitors should circumvent it for the moment.

Reaction score
    I started a new game today, and had same problem. i fixed it by placing bought Power Capacitators, like Megacrafter 127 said.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah, so you need to create a power buffer now. In that case I spoke too soon. :)

I've always been puzzled somewhat what the power capacitors use was exactly. Nice to see them used now for something I _do_ understand. :D

Greets,

Jan

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree with you that as far as factories go there needs to be a small amount of power capacity available for use with the power supply gun, otherwise it renders said tool less than useless. 50ke is a bit much, but at the very least we need to allow a factory to be able to hold enough power to run itself at least once.

I tend to start new servers using the "stranded planetside" method; i.e. using my starter blocks to build an escape pod, selling the rest at the spawn shop, then flying towards a nearby planet and "crash-landing" on it. The way the old system worked, a planet that was built upon still had a base power capacity making it possible to craft generic materials and a factory with your suit, and then using that factory to build power reactors and capacitors, meaning you could land planetside with nothing but your base sidearms and still be able to get the materials necessary to start a base or build a ship. Now you need to have power caps with you which breaks that scenario IMHO - and it also means more players are going to get stranded on planets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, now one knows actually the need of a power capacitor to store energy for the factory(s) to run on planets (or asteroids I believe) isn't a bad idea. Only, at least one power capacitor should be in the default startup package. If only to give a hint it will be needed somewhere. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    It is if you were running a large amount of factories on a planet, or a lot of turrets. You can't put factories on asteroids. The problem as said above is that if you get stranded planetside and you don't have a power cap on you you're SOL. As far as learning the use of power caps, it should become obvious soon enough.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ...You can't put factories on asteroids...
    Hmm, actually I did that this afternoon, it didn't work because of the insufficient energy message were I hadn't had the answer for then, so I went for a planet instead with the same message as result. :)

Therefore I think asteroids will work too if a capacitor is added, at least you can place a factory on there now and I thought I read that this is possible now too somewhere in the release notes, but I can't find it at the moment.

Seasoned survivalists know you always should pack some spare cores and power reactors, so just add a few capacitors to that small list. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, certainly if the starter package contains a few.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    Hmm, actually I did that this afternoon, it didn't work because of the insufficient energy message were I hadn't had the answer for then, so I went for a planet instead with the same message as result. :)

Therefore I think asteroids will work too if a capacitor is added, at least you can place a factory on there now and I thought I read that this is possible now too somewhere in the release notes, but I can't find it at the moment.

Seasoned survivalists know you always should pack some spare cores and power reactors, so just add a few capacitors to that small list. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, certainly if the starter package contains a few.

Greets,

Jan
    Unless they added it back in, you can only place factories on stations and planets. Or at least they are only supposed to work that way now. I think for several builds now (but I only started playing a build back so one of the old-timers would know better). It's highly possible that some things will change back and forth several times before release.

I was going to say it's a terrible idea because I can think of several reasons why you could get stuck somewhere, and through no fault of your own. So it shouldn't be up to the player to have certain things in their inventory. But then it dawned on me that you would still need the power gun so we're already in that boat. Still I disagree, and now I'm bored with this discussion so we'll have to agree to disagree. ;)