Faction Merge

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    A button in the Faction Menu (H) that brings up a field where a faction founder can type in the name of another faction.

A confirmation dialog appears when a valid faction is entered, disclaiming that all faction members and assets will become members or assets of the other faction, Are you sure you want to do this?, etc.

Upon confirmation, an urgent diplomatic request is sent to the named faction seeking approval for the merging faction to be absorbed.

If approved, all assets with faction ID of the merging faction have their faction ID reassigned to the absorbing faction. All members of merging faction become lowest ranked members of the absorbing faction. All faction points of the merging faction are added to the faction points of the absorbing faction. All system claims of the merging faction become system claims of the absorbing faction. Finally, the merging faction is disbanded.

Merger complete.

While I expect it may involve some substantial troubleshooting, it shouldn't be any trouble at all to code in (I could be wrong), and would be a fantastic addition. It is much needed.

I know there are lots of other diplomatic/faction features we'd all like to see eventually, but please take those suggestions to another thread :)
    Thanks!

TheGT

Chief Janitorial, Second Legion, Fourth Squadron
    Reaction score
    Sounds like a good idea

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yes please!
    Currently you have to go around and unfaction every single thing (and hope it doesnt get stolen) then join the other faction, and re-faction EVERY SINGLE THING........

A much welcome and quality of life improvement.
    +9999

Reaction score
    Especially so as, unless one of the merging factions has a server admin handy, the re-factioning can take days, and still miss lots of things.
    With an admin, a single sector can take up to 20 minutes, but at least everything [and their annoying dog] is re-factioned.

Why yes, I did actually have to re-faction a whole bunch of sectors one day. 'Twas new server world, but all the factions (that were still playing) got to bring 3 sectors along for the ride. All of them had different Faction IDs after the wipe, so much changing ensued.

More directly on topic:

The only thing I hold against this suggestion, is how "easy" it could be to royally screw over smaller factions, by basically having two bigger ones working "together" to cause the lesser factions to merge into one of the bigger ones. Then the "uber-faction" would split, jettisoning all the newly acquired players, but keeping all their stuff.
    Oh, and then they declare war on all the newly faction-less/exiled players. (that "hostile to neutrals option" is so easily abused)

No, I have no faith in humanity at all, why does everyone ask that?

Yes, I've witnessed that behavior in other games where the suggested type of faction merging was part of their surrender options.

Anyway, since that is my only beef with it, I cast my vote in favor. (just because I lack faith, does not prevent me from hoping that better humans exist. It just means I'm not as "emotionally harmed" when humans inevitably do something assholeish)

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    No, I have no faith in humanity at all,
    Faithless humanity is probably the genus of most of our laws today.

Suppose Schine includes a 'clause' in the Faction-merge contract so that upon ending the relationship (or being kicked out) all/most/some resources that you brought into the faction are returned to their original owners. If the resources have been used up the difference can be made up with the equivalent credits.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I would just say caveat emptor. Merging factions should be cautious and hedge their own fortunes against treachery.

If I merged into a larger team, I would still keep a deep-space cache or three on hand in case of emergencies. If others are careless about such things... they will certainly reap the fruit of their lack of forethought ;)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sure I'll let you into my faction. Then kick from faction. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Alliance is are a better way to go.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Sure I'll let you into my faction. Then kick from faction. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Alliance is are a better way to go.
    I didn't think there was anything in the proposal about forcing (or even encouraging) solo faction players to merge with other factions; sorry if it comes off that way. Some prefer solo play. I'm all for it. I've posted elsewhere encouraging server admins not to oppress 1-man factions.

Not everyone is so shy though; many of us work together in MP, knowing the risks and taking steps to hedge against those. Many of us know each other across multiple servers and know who to trust. Players just want the option available; no one's saying you should merge with another faction just because the option is there any more than you should make your faction Public just because the option is there.

I would also love to see a more robust Alliance feature that allows more sharing, but even then a faction merge feature will be needed because some of us actually join others. Sometimes after being on a server for a while you want to team up with someone.