Faction forum changes

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    StarMade faction politics are not for everyone, these implemented and proposed changes are to ensure that those who have no interest in participating do not have to. The goal is to make forum factions opt-in, instead of opt-out.

Implemented changes:
    • Faction threads/posts do not show on "New Posts" or "New Threads" sidebar.
    • Separate faction channel.
    • Have faction subforum consist of two sections. A recruitment area, only faction recruitment threads, and relevant comments permitted. A general faction "roleplay" area, with separate (lighter) rules, mostly self-moderated.
    • Warning message when entering faction "roleplay" section.
    • Removed faction forums from appearing in new posts feed.
    • Ban all faction related conversation from main SMD chat.
    Proposed changes:
    • Adjust Roleplay section rules.
    Feedback is welcome.

CHANGELOG:
    DD/MM/YYYY

13/09/2016: Added a separate faction channel & recruitment+roleplay sections.
    14/09/2016: Warning message when entering faction "roleplay" section. Removed faction forums from appearing in new posts feed.
    7/10/2016: Warning message on roleplay section node in forum list.
    14/10/2016: Banned all faction related discussion from main chat and added specific rules.

Last edited:

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think banning all faction related convo from SMD chat is going to be a bit hard on us all xD
    Otherwise I'm all for this for sure

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I thought we were going to get a separate faction chat as well?

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    I agree with this. Wise decision.

With faction politics left out of the new threads/posts sections, only those who have watched said threads/posts will recieve notifications for it and see it, therefore the new threads/posts section will instead contain more new posts related to Starmade itself, containing more useful information instead of years-old faction grudges.

A new faction chat channel would be ideal for faction politics, however talking about one's faction (i.e. "I've made a new shi[/station/whatever for my faction" or "My faction's member count is rather small" or "My faction's leader is an obnoxious cunt") in the general chat channel should not be considered an offence. If it isn't politics, allow it. The faction chat can be the House of Commons, if you will - hidden from the public, but what is discussed can be told to the public after the debate has taken place.

However, I would like to ask about the proposed faction subforum - Factions don't only just use the forums to recruit or roleplay, will there be other subforums for other things, too, or will they be left in the main faction forum?

As for the warning message with the roleplay section - I am not proud to say it's necessary, but it is.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    However, I would like to ask about the proposed faction subforum - Factions don't only just use the forums to recruit or roleplay, will there be other subforums for other things, too, or will they be left in the main faction forum?
    I'm pretty sure by "roleplay" he means anything outside of recruitment.

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    I'm pretty sure by "roleplay" he means anything outside of recruitment.
    Politics, general faction discussion, reports of battles, taunting each other like uncivilised apes and stuff other than actual roleplay isn't really roleplay, is it? This brings back my question, what will the developers do with the other stuff that is neither strictly roleplay or strictly recruitment?

Reaction score
    i like this idea because the factions part of the forum is so big in itself

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Politics, general faction discussion, reports of battles, taunting each other like uncivilised apes and stuff other than actual roleplay isn't really roleplay, is it? This brings back my question, what will the developers do with the other stuff that is neither strictly roleplay or strictly recruitment?
    That all qualifies as Role Play yes. Afterall, its a game, why would you even bother making any kind of "formal announcement" or "battle report" if not role playing? That sort of stuff tends to be the base of most forum based conflicts, so I'm more than fine to see it shoved off into a corner.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the reminder, I keep forgetting that ;)
    On my end, it is possible to select "Recruitment", but I can't select the entire "Factions" branch; also there are two entries for "Roleplay", one of which is not selectable either.

20160914-cant.ignore.factions.forum.png

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Thanks for the info, I keep forgetting that ;)
    On my end, it is possible to select "Recruitment", but I can't select the entire "Factions" branch; also there are two entries for "Roleplay", one of which is not selectable either.
    Yea, that's because you can only select sections which can receive threads/posts. The "Roleplay" section you can't select is simply the warning message node, which can't have any activity from it since it's simply an HTML page.

Reaction score
    Yea, that's because you can only select sections which can receive threads/posts. The "Roleplay" section you can't select is simply the warning message node, which can't have any activity from it since it's simply an HTML page.
    I see. May be a bit confusing, but no gripes as long as it works.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    That entry page really screams "professional", great work.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

A thread to the [insert faction name here] refugees