Faction Expansion Ideas.

Reaction score
    Hello again, I’ve had this idea for a while now and I’ve been meaning to share it with this community. Looking at the current state of Factions in Starmade, from the Major Forum factions (that are more like empty shells now) to the little bundles of friends on a server working together to make something new, I noticed something. It’s all a bit, well, dead. Not in the meaning of nobody does it anymore but as in True expansion and conquering between players on servers. That is 1 of the major unique factors in starmade that is slowly sliding off a ledge. And I don’t think it’s to do with the community side of problems anymore, I think it’s just too hard now to do it. Having a major faction of players is 1 side of the problem building one of them up now is hard, but applying your members in game to certain jobs is a different story. what I’m trying to get at is, it needs to change soon.

So my idea is simple. Npc factions use a set amount of members to do their work in specific jobs and ships, allowing them to have fleets of miners and defending warships, as well as trade fleets and so on. So why do we have to do it the hard way? Instead of relying on Players to maybe do the boring jobs every now and then, why not have a couple of Npc hired AIs/crew to do the dirty work. I shall split this into 4 main sections, AI hiring and management, expansion mechanics, war mechanics, and resource mechanics.

AI hiring and management.

Now the idea for this I had was to use the NPC shop trader from advanced shops and buy the Npc crew people from him. So you could simply buy the guy, assign him to your faction, and from there you could manage him from the faction Players list tab. So the players and Npc’s in your faction are separated to make life easier to manage them. From there you can click on the Npc and it will give you the option to drag and drop a FILLED blueprint of your choosing for him to use as his ship. Once he has that you can switch to 1 of 3 tabs now in the faction menu. Combat, Expansion, mining. From each of these tabs you can add which Npc’s go where and what they do their jobs are explained down below. A new block could also be added for cargo called a Npc Beacon, that allows the Npc’s in your faction know what cargo computers they can add there mined resources or loot into. Alternatively, marking it with a marker beam might work.

Expansion mechanics.

Expansion is an underestimated feature in starmade, it can became a viable mechanic in the multiverse of starmade servers. Your Npc’s could be assigned to a unique role in the faction tab called expansion where you assign 3-6 Npc ships in your faction to expansion duty, which gives them the task to claim as many systems your faction can support without losing faction points. The tab itself will have a credit fund you can add to and a blueprint bank you can fill with completed stations you want to use as the claims for new systems. Once the Npc fleet has arrived at a new system they will choose a sector to load a claim station in (best idea so far is randomised sector choice that excludes sectors in range of suns burn damage.) once they have cleared the sector of hostile entities, they will deploy the station. After deployment, they could guard the station for a short while and move on to the next system, the claimed systems they add will be new areas for mining duty and patrol duty Npcs to use.

War mechanics

Wars in starmade are fun in starmade multiplayer, but they're just battles between 2-4 ships at a time. Why not widen the scale a bit? Npcs assigned to Combat Fleets in the Faction tab, will now follow your orders you give them, so you can tell them to go on patrol in your territory and they will wipe out any hostile entities to your faction in your claimed systems. Or you can tell them to go on assault agent’s specific factions, they will then target that factions Bases (system claim stations), Expansion fleet, mining ships, and defence ships, all in the effort to destroy the opposes industrial capabilities. The fleet size however relies on the amount of actual Players are in the game. 1 player factions could only get 5 ships total allowance in the fleet, for example Each player in the faction adds an extra 5 ships from there allowance in the Combat fleets tab.

Resource mechanics.

Mining in starmade is important part of expansion in starmade, boring but necessary, but why should we just have to do it? Npcs that are assigned to the Resource tab immediately use their assigned ships mining capabilities to gather resources from asteroids in your territories. They will collect what they can, where they can, and can be told to ether mine just asteroids or add derelict stations to their mining list. Once their inventory is full they will transport the material back to your factions Homebase or designated storage station. They will add the resources directly into a storage chest linked to a Npc Beacon. This process will continue until they run out of stuff to mine.

That’s quite a bit of stuff right now and balancing would have needed to be figured out. But this could change the way starmade is played forever. Servers would have massive scale wars between factions and territory would be fought over to expand into, it would portray a journey for you the crummy newbie that built an empire from the ground up. Granted having more real people in your faction is good for making it larger but a 1-man army can still be an enormous impact on the galaxy with this update. It would move the end game bar way out than it currently is.

I’m looking forward to what you all think of this so far in the comments. Tell me what you like dislike and what you would change and improve on in it. Now this is my idea of how it would work in my mind, it’s not what should be done its to allow Schine to take what they need from it or give them a baseline to work from. Schine is free to do what they think is right with it if they decide to add something like this into starmade WHICH IS REALLY NEEDED.

Plaz out

Reaction score
    In the future, might I suggest point form? That is a lot to digest in one go.

Insofar as mining goes, the AI can essentially do this already via the fleet menus.

The AI can also patrol sectors, again via the fleet menus.

I don't think it's entirely desirable to have the AI performing the expansion side of things without a truly viable metric or mechanic to limit expansion.

I don't mean to seem down on others' ideas. I just think you're asking the AI to perform tasks it already does or shouldn't be involved in.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive

Insofar as mining goes, the AI can essentially do this already via the fleet menus.

I don't think it's entirely desirable to have the AI performing the expansion side of things without a truly viable metric or mechanic to limit expansion.

I don't mean to seem down on others' ideas. I just think you're asking the AI to perform tasks it already does or shouldn't be involved in.
    The AI can't do jack when there isn't a player around. They also can't really patrol at all, you can make them move from one sector to another but once again that requires a player to be present.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

It can do neither of these things. It can sit in place and defend a single sector, or it can mine in the same sector as a manned flagship. A patrol implies an actual route across multiple sectors, and mining would ideally work while not in loading range of the ships.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    AI fleets is limited at the moment. A while ago I remember there was a mention of more options and persistent orders coming. I wonder where that shelf is? Must be at breaking point now.

The only way I've seen to implement fleet growth and full automation is custom factions. The LvD server has Light and Dark factions that do this and players can join these factions. This is how I would implement it server side.

Reaction score
    Okay. Did not realize the AI was unable to protect or mine sectors when the player isn't present. Learn something new every day.

I still stand by my not wanting AI to be able expand territory on its own without some hard limiters or caps in place. I expect that could be in a list of AI config flags in a config file though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    The NPC factions do actually mine out systems. Most of the actions they do within thier own territory is pretty solid, including defense patrols and mining. Trade fleets are somewhat functional. Attack and Scavange fleets suffer from a lot of problems to the point of unusability. You can even embed players in an npc faction but there's no way of acessing the fruits of thier labors from the simulation end directly.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Plaz, im very surprised about your thinking capabilities and at the same time i support this idea of yours. What i'd do however, is have a drop on how much NPC you get/player as the faction gets bigger and bigger in terms of playercount. Kinda like how they do it motorsports with the amount of points dropping, except the minimum would stay 1NPC/player. I'd also suggest adding more ranks to the factions so you can set how many NPC can a player control. (that number could also be limited to encourage better player cooperation)

Reaction score
    Well this is rubbish. Why can't I disagree with one of my own posts? Everyone else can disagree with me, but me.

I think this is discrimination. I should lodge a complaint or something.

Thinking about my prior post on this topic, I have decided I am wrong.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    I absolutely love love this idea and to further this there could be free npcs if you claim a Terran planet to make planet claims necessary for expansion and other planets could be for mining perhaps