Extremely Large Shipyard anyone?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Im trying to decide if I should make a really large shipyard. Currently Im thinking of these dimensions for just the skeleton.

1500 W
    1500 H
    2500 L

Would anyone use something like this? Yes its massive and I really like making big things, But at the same time I would want people to use it. Thoughts on the dimension?

Side note: Im going to make a skeleton version of the shipyard and post that first so that other people can play with it and design it how they wish. After, im going to make my own version of it.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    Im trying to decide if I should make a really large shipyard. Currently Im thinking of these dimensions for just the skeleton.

1500 W
    1500 H
    2500 L

Would anyone use something like this? Yes its massive and I really like making big things, But at the same time I would want people to use it. Thoughts on the dimension?

Side note: Im going to make a skeleton version of the shipyard and post that first so that other people can play with it and design it how they wish. After, im going to make my own version of it.

Would anyone use it..... No, right now shipyards are bugged and don''t save / load from designs ships that are above a certain length also what kind of doom cube are you making that doesn't have one direction significantly longer than the other I could understand having both the y and x or y and z coordinates but not all 3.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was trying to accommodate people that design their ships really tall in the Height. I just didnt know what dimensions I could or should use for a project of this size or even typically how people build. I just wanted to make a shipyard that would be able to make extremely large ships. But would people use it if the bug was fixed? I mean if not then should I try somethign else? Im just trying to decide on my next project.

Reaction score
    I was trying to accommodate people that design their ships really tall in the Height. I just didnt know what dimensions I could or should use for a project of this size or even typically how people build. I just wanted to make a shipyard that would be able to make extremely large ships. But would people use it if the bug was fixed? I mean if not then should I try somethign else? Im just trying to decide on my next project.

I just meant that it probably doesn't need to be 2000 wide lol i've seen a few tall ships alot of long ships but not a whole lot of fat ships

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A shipyard capable of fitting a ship 900m long, and around minimum 200m wide and high up is something on my to do list. With multiple 3x3 standard USDs docks extended out along the station side of the shipyard. It then allows the possibility of a warp gate perpendicular to the shipyard on either end without getting in the way of home base docking or shipyard activities.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Shipyards of this size are currently bugged and most likely will cause you to lose blocks if you attempt to construct a design with them. That said, this bug will be fixed next update, so feel free to build the thing. Just don't try to build anything WITH the thing yet. :p

Build the design you want in the shipyard, save the blueprint, and fill a blueprint item with blocks as per the old method.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Talking about shipyards, is there, apart from a news item by Bench, any documentation about the default sizes that are supported out of the box for them? I seem to have understood from that news article there's a cap on 50m height and 50m width, unless you change the server config, but what is the maximum distance between the U-shaped rings that make up the length that can be used for building for instance?

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    Talking about shipyards, is there, apart from a news item by Bench, any documentation about the default sizes that are supported out of the box for them? I seem to have understood from that news article there's a cap on 50m height and 50m width, unless you change the server config, but what is the maximum distance between the U-shaped rings that make up the length that can be used for building for instance?

Greets,

Jan
    The default rung separation is 50m, and as far as I'm aware, there are no size restrictions other than the (soon to be fixed) bug Ithirahad mentioned.

Ithirahad: Do you happen to know more about that? Bug tracker issue number? I haven't had that happen to me yet, but I haven't been using shipyards that much either.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Greets,

Jan
    The maximum distance you speak of is the 50m; the shipyard can be as high, long, or wide as you wish to accommodate ships of any size as long as the U-shapes aren't more than 50m away from one another. If you modify the server config there is theoretically no upper limit but the shape calculations will take longer as the sizes scale up which is the main reason why there is a distance limit in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Fifty meters max between the rings, boy that's a lot bigger then I imagined. I thought it was the max size of the rings...
    Oh well, my first yard will just be a humble attempt then. ;)

Meanwhile found another thing that had me puzzled. The Core Anchor. Is that supposed to just be hanging in space inside the shipyard boundaries? I first had it attached with a connecting beam to the yard and got warnings all the time about not having enough space to materialize my ship. Also docking to the anchor docked to the core instead of the docking point on the ship. In the end I understood what the name Core Anchor implies, but I feel a little more documentation on setting up a Shipyard should be provided. :)

Greets,

Jan

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Fifty meters max between the rings, boy that's a lot bigger then I imagined. I thought it was the max size of the rings...
    Oh well, my first yard will just be a humble attempt then. ;)

Meanwhile found another thing that had me puzzled. The Core Anchor. Is that supposed to just be hanging in space inside the shipyard boundaries? I first had it attached with a connecting beam to the yard and got warnings all the time about not having enough space to materialize my ship. Also docking to the anchor docked to the core instead of the docking point on the ship. In the end I understood what the name Core Anchor implies, but I feel a little more documentation on setting up a Shipyard should be provided. :)

Greets,

Jan
    It's supposed to be roughly in the center of the shipyard, and oriented so that the arrow thing on the texture is on top and aiming through the "tube" of the shipyard, one way or another. But yes, shipyards (among a few other things) need better usage documentation. Things like that contribute to the so-called "Learning Cliff" that this game tends to suffer from. And yes, hitting it with a docking beam, or the core 'activation beam', will cause the ship to dock to the anchor by core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Some time when I finish my Orion Class and Shipyards get patched I'm gonna make Scorpio Fleet Shipyards, they can hold a battlestar ~1800 meters long, thinking of having my rings go horizontal, and maybe three rings total, with the nose of the ship at the apex of the ring, the rings running down the body of the ship. It'd have the station flush with one ring, and one above and one below, with the core anchor angled to match, unless that's not possible.

Image of what I'm thinking of.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you on a server with increased sector size?

Because a 2500m long shipyard is bigger than the 2000m sector size, which means your station is going to straddle sectors, which bugs them out something terrible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    MMh, true. I'd have to scale it I guess. There go my plans to build a 2000 meter long battlestar... or the 2500 meter long one. Oh well! I'll have to stick with 1389 meter long beast as my max. I'd also have to majorly change the designs for the shipyard... Dammit sectors why you so small?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dammit sectors why you so small?
    Because thats how the game breaks a for-all-intents-and-purposes infinite universe down into something a computer can easily handle. Each sector is like an individual instance, the game only calculates whats happening in a small sector that a player is in, and ignores the rest of the universe until you get near it.

Ever fight pirates and no matter how many heatseekers or lock on torps you fire at them they never hit? Odds are those pirates are across a sector boundary.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Because thats how the game breaks a for-all-intents-and-purposes infinite universe down into something a computer can easily handle. Each sector is like an individual instance, the game only calculates whats happening in a small sector that a player is in, and ignores the rest of the universe until you get near it.

Ever fight pirates and no matter how many heatseekers or lock on torps you fire at them they never hit? Odds are those pirates are across a sector boundary.
    Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic. I just wish what I wanted to build was smaller and sectors were about 3000 blocks big.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks alot for all of your replies guys! Sounds to me like ill be making this thing after all. SO to recap,

1) 2500 length is way too long. so if I bump it down to 2000 would that still be sufficient for most peoples needs as well as stay within a sector to keep the lag down or non existent?

2) The height and width to me sounds like it should be kept the same at 1500. Just in case someone wants to get creative in other directions besides length wise as well as to make aesthetically pleasing designs instead of it basically being a giant cube ( lol )

3) If I did all this and all the dimensions were agreed on, would you guys like me to make a rough skeleton of the working and functional parts to upload on the site before uploading my version of the aesthetics?

Thanks again for all of your replies guys! And I hope to appeal to everyone's tastes and needs by starting this project!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Thanks alot for all of your replies guys! Sounds to me like ill be making this thing after all. SO to recap,

1) 2500 length is way too long. so if I bump it down to 2000 would that still be sufficient for most peoples needs as well as stay within a sector to keep the lag down or non existent?

2) The height and width to me sounds like it should be kept the same at 1500. Just in case someone wants to get creative in other directions besides length wise as well as to make aesthetically pleasing designs instead of it basically being a giant cube ( lol )

3) If I did all this and all the dimensions were agreed on, would you guys like me to make a rough skeleton of the working and functional parts to upload on the site before uploading my version of the aesthetics?

Thanks again for all of your replies guys! And I hope to appeal to everyone's tastes and needs by starting this project!
    1) 2000 will fill the ENTIRE axis of a sector, that would be completely weird and would still break it, you couldn't interact with it on one axis.
    2)Prob less, but yes, as long as it's about 500 blocks shy of filling a sector (250/250 on either side) you should be good unless anyone wants a titan to dock.
    3)I would definitely check it out, but it would be too big for the dock and would bust any computer trying to render it.
    It's a big station. Probably too unfeasible.