Exactly how does stop effect work

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Stop effect was nerfed quite a while ago so that you couldn't stop a capital ship with a 3 block weapon. However today I feel like making one that can at least do a decent amount of stoppage to a ship. How does it work exactly, like what is the stop effect doing? Because as far as I have tested my stop effect weapons don't do crap.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    while i don't know the technical aspects of it, i do believe that an weapon arrays stoping power depends greatly on the Stop Effect ratio to weapon damage vs the mass of its target.

basically if you wanted to stop a capital ship in its place you would need to have either a powerful array with 100% stop effect or a even more powerful array with less Stop effect percentage if you want to do some damage too.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Nothing on the wiki, my guess would be that its something along the lines of reducing the targets speed by damage/target mass. But really I'm just here to distract you from the chat.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I was under the impression that it was also a matter of DPS vs. Thrust or something. Not sure.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I was under the impression that it was also a matter of DPS vs. Thrust or something. Not sure.
    That's how it SHOULD be. Right now it applies a friction value to the ship being affected. While I'm not sure how it scales with weapon sizes I know that it's really not optimal. That's also why 3 block stop weapons could stop anything, they applied something like 99% friction to ships.

Reaction score
    It works, but very slowly, same with pull. I've experimented with some small "tugboats" since I tend to send turrets careening off into space pretty often and need to retrieve them. One of the problems with pull being once you get something going towards you it keeps going. So you need a stop beam as well to make a tractor.

I have noticed that my little 10 module beams will work on even small cruisers (around 2k) but it takes a while, and we're talking the kind of speeds that come from lowspeed collisions, and of course no one is flying them.

TLDR: You probably just need a bigger array. I'm curious how it works against a ship applying thrust since I only play singleplayer I haven't been able to test.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Exactly how does stop effect work? Well, poorly, usually.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    We use it extensively and found that a lot of beam arrays work best. It's the same with push and pull.