Exactly how do faction points work?

Reaction score
    Okay can someone link me to something that explains in more detail about how faction points work?

2 official sources I can find don't provide a lot of info.
    https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Faction#Faction_Points

http://star-made.org/news/starmade-dev-update-introducing-faction-points

Wiki says TBD, news pretty much tells you how to earn them, what they can be spent on e.g system costs, and almost zero on how to lose them. (well aside from getting killed every half an hour by another player and the already mentioned cost of systems.)
    And hey apparently, first system is free. Which is usually the home system for most.

So can anyone fill me in, I mean how does one faction drive another factions points down. I get told things like "Mine another factions asteroids and planets" but it's all hear say. Experiment? I would but I cannot see another factions points to determine if what I am doing is having an effect. And well what if that faction has no systems? Just a homebase?

Like these scenarios.
    A player attacks another faction. Other faction kicks his butt, he runs home docks and rage quits never to be seen again.
    He has a home base, and no systems owned. Weeks later his base still gives the "cannot attack faction homebase"
    How would one get his points down? He aint dying and he owns no systems, is he losing points? He isn't earning them.
    How long before his base becomes vulnerable, if ever?

Same for people who join a server, make a homebase, claim some systems then they and/or their entire faction quit the game.
    One hit wonders.
    Does their station stay invincible forever?

If you claim the first system and it is free, does it stay free forever? Do only the other systems cost points?

Can anyone shed some light and actual facts on how to lose FP for me please? Thanks in advance. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hi RabidBat,

As far as I know faction points at the moment only do the following:

1) More members means more points.
    2) More active members means more points.
    3) Claiming extra systems above your first system costs points.
    4) Claiming too many systems will cause you to lose points.
    5) Dying costs you points
    6) If you run out of faction points your homebase can be attacked and destroyed.

I think your correct that factions can have their first system for months, I don't even know if they can lose just a single system unless they say claimed so many others that their score became negative.

Thats it, if there is more I would like to know. I have not seen any system in game that lets you spend faction points on anything yet.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hi RabidBat,

As far as I know faction points at the moment only do the following:

1) More members means more points.
    2) More active members means more points.
    3) Claiming extra systems above your first system costs points.
    4) Claiming too many systems will cause you to lose points.
    5) Dying costs you points
    6) If you run out of faction points your homebase can be attacked and destroyed.

Thats it, if there is more I would like to know. I have not seen any system in game that lets you spend faction points on anything yet.
    Yeah that is about all I already know about them. Been playing this game for a while and nobody seems to go zero with points or into the negative.

Killing enemies doesn't seem to work that great (especially when everyone remains docked 24/7 it can be hard to get a fight going..... StarMade the great docking simulator. lol :p). And no suicide penalty is sucking as I keep having enemy faction players kill themselves when they look like they're gonna lose.
    I seriously hope there is a way to force a faction to be active or face some consequences.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The FP system is a bit ass backwards at the moment.

Check out the new elwyn eternity 2.0 server thread for how they are modifying from vanilla, it's a much better system.