'Engineer Girl Skin' - Complete!

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    This was originally a WIP thread, you can scroll through it's development below or skip right to the finished skin here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/engineer-girl-skin-wip.712/page-2#post-27052

Hey guys, I haven't been able to release a lot lately due to finals, and so I'll be strapped for time the next few weeks. However, I have heard about some people asking for more female skins, and I agree that there should be more female skins available! I've had a little time this weekend, so I thought I'd share a work in progress female skin I started a while ago.

I don't often post WIP skins, but I thought I'd give it a try this time and see how it turns out. Firstly, I want to hear thoughts and opinions. The concept is a girl who is an engineer-type, I want her to have (conceptually) all the high-tech tools she needs for her job, but on the other hand, I also wanted a slightly steam-punk look to her as well with leather. I wanted her outfit to be both functional for working in a variety of places, but also giving off a sort of fashion with a steam-punk feel to it.
    Secondly, I've been throwing around ideas for the helm, I want it to match but the overall design I haven't decided on. So any opinions, and ideas would be appreciated!

Last notes: As this is a WIP, more detail will be added, and more sections completed. This is just what I had so far. Many things are still subject to change! I also haven't settled on a title, I'm just calling her an "Engineer Girl" for now, so if there are any suggestions/ideas regarding the name, let's hear 'em! This skin I do plan to release for all as soon as it is completed. ^_^

-Thanks!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It looks great :)

When I first saw it, I was thinking "It looks Steampunk," and I hadn't read the text at that point, so well done on that perspective!

Since it is Steampunk, my suggestion for tools would be to have something simple like a hammer, but also something more high-tech like a compact sci-fi welder of some kind.

For the helmet . . . I have absolutely no idea. You could always just try googling "Steampunk Engineer Helmet" and see if anything inspiring comes up.

Give her a real-world name, like "Milly", (first thing that came to mind), and put something like "A Steampunk Engineer Girl!" as a subtitle. That's what I would do personally.

Nice job!

Slightly off topic: How do get the hair so randomized with the colours to make it grainy like that?

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    It looks great :)

When I first saw it, I was thinking "It looks Steampunk," and I hadn't read the text at that point, so well done on that perspective!

Since it is Steampunk, my suggestion for tools would be to have something simple like a hammer, but also something more high-tech like a compact sci-fi welder of some kind.

For the helmet . . . I have absolutely no idea. You could always just try googling "Steampunk Engineer Helmet" and see if anything inspiring comes up.

Give her a real-world name, like "Milly", (first thing that came to mind), and put something like "A Steampunk Engineer Girl!" as a subtitle. That's what I would do personally.

Nice job!

Slightly off topic: How do get the hair so randomized with the colours to make it grainy like that?
    Awesome! (I wasn't sure whether it got across as Steampunk, but I'm glad it read that way to you so quickly!) I'll keep that in mind, I don't want to put too many tools on her that she's wearing more tools than clothes/armor but, the hammer is a good, simple idea. I was also thinking about a holster for the gun on that one side. I'll see what tools I can put where without muddying up the design.
    I did google steampunk helms, and I didn't find any that fit her, they were often big and bulky looking, like brass or some other kind of metal. I've been tossing around some ideas in my head, and I have an vague idea, but nothing very detailed.
    That's a great idea for naming, I'll see about doing something like that. I'll research names a bit, and see if I find one I like.

To make her hair, I put in a solid color, (or add any extra lines I want), then I add "noise". I use photoshop, so I go to Filter>Noise>Add noise. I believe it is likely that Dave's hair was done this way, or a similar way, and I do this will the hair on every skin that I've made so far. I can set how much it 'randomizes' it and so it's a great way to add some texture, and control how much. :)

Reactions: WolfChild
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The one thing to keep in mind when adding a holster is that the pistol will just sit over the top of it, so it'll only look good if it's an empty one when the pistol is drawn.

Perhaps a simple leather cap? I know it's not really viable for working in a vacuum, but if it was in a enclosed shipyard from a RP perspective, then it would work.

Thanks for the help, too :)

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    The one thing to keep in mind when adding a holster is that the pistol will just sit over the top of it, so it'll only look good if it's an empty one when the pistol is drawn.

Perhaps a simple leather cap? I know it's not really viable for working in a vacuum, but if it was in a enclosed shipyard from a RP perspective, then it would work.

Thanks for the help, too :)
    Well, It could even work like the lit areas on the back of the armor in mass effect where the weapons attach, but instead a small one the side for the pistol. I feel the empty holster doesn't seem too strange, because if the weapon is not drawn you just wouldn't see the holster, so I think the problem is more conceptual rather than visual, but you make a good point.
    The cap is a good idea. I might have to confer with you more about skinning matters as I admire your work. If made right the cap really could work, I'll think about it. I could make more than one if I want, and really like several ideas..but hmm..it is a good idea..

Reactions: WolfChild
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, It could even work like the lit areas on the back of the armor in mass effect where the weapons attach, but instead a small one the side for the pistol. I feel the empty holster doesn't seem too strange, because if the weapon is not drawn you just wouldn't see the holster, so I think the problem is more conceptual rather than visual, but you make a good point.
    The cap is a good idea. I might have to confer with you more about skinning matters as I admire your work. If made right the cap really could work, I'll think about it. I could make more than one if I want, and really like several ideas..but hmm..it is a good idea..
    Good point. I didn't think about that.

Reaction score
    Loving the steam-punk vibe. There needs to be more of that on here! Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Looks good so far.
    Couldn't you have the hat and goggles as the helmet?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i disagree on the hat and goggles idea. because as much as i like the idea of having the option of taking them off, we do not have but the one clothing item right now, and that means when they take it off, they are basically going into vacuum naked to space. i know the game doesn't force you to seal your spacesuit, but its so damn ridiculous to look at when your playing.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    I could do both, but my personal preference is to go with something that covers the head more so it could be seen as functional. Having the hat idea might annoy some, but others might prefer it. I'll share more images on this thread when I have completed more!

Reaction score
    For your helmet, maybe a welding mask or something to that effect. It would appear functional, and would probably fill the steam-punk theme better than a space helmet, (though whether you go a mask or helm, functional for space may still be up in the air.)

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    so what progress if any has been made its been quiet lately?
    Most is conceptual. To be perfectly honest I've had some artistic block lately, and I started a new job, so I still haven't gotten to the helm, but I have some ideas to try out thanks to everyone here! I added some stitching details on the sides and added more to the arms, and I made the goggles cleaner.
    I know it's been quiet lately and I apologize for that. I had some grueling finals, and I don't think I realized how much time I wanted to relax afterwards, I just could not relax! I put a deadline on myself for getting out the Stormtrooper skin I said I would do (Only the arms and helm left to do currently), because I wanted to make sure I got back into making skins as soon as I was free of finals. In other news, I have another female skin that's nearly completed that I threw together one day as some exercise (only have the helm left to do), and I've been working to get better at female skins (more specifically making 2-d surfaces appear 3-d, if you know what I mean ;D ). I made a shading overlay and was testing it on the female skin I threw together, and I may use that on this. I want to make a full shading overlay for female skins though, a better one than the rough one I made, and then I want to release it to help others with shading female skins. This Engineer Girl skin is not shaded yet, and when I had started it, I didn't think about shading a lot. I was surprised with the Femshep skin that I could really make things look more 3-dimensional, and now I want to take it to the next level.

In the next 3 days, I want the Stormtrooper skin to be done, I need to get some paperwork and errands done, and then maybe I can give you guys an update on this. It does bring a smile to my face that there's even one person keeping an eye on this. I haven't decided, for the other female skin I mentioned, whether I just want to post in to the Community Content without a forum post, or if I should start a thread for my work-in-progress and small skinning projects I'm working on. I always have a few projects going at once to keep me interested. I love hearing people's thoughts on these, it helps me understand what people here like and think about when it comes to their player skins. :D

PS - I was thinking of a sort of welding-mask inspiration for the Engineer Girl's helmet, but the image in my head has a piece that goes over the mouth-area like you would see on the helm of a Knight, or you know, King Peter of Narnia: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080227220710/narnia/images/f/fc/Battle-Peter.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You was using Photoshop ? Nice job . I'm too a skin maker , but I don't want to share :p

Reaction score
    I think is time for me to add a skin ... I will see , when I think that's good and I can share it , I will make it downloadable .

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    I think is time for me to add a skin ... I will see , when I think that's good and I can share it , I will make it downloadable .
    Release it only when you feel it is finished, I certainly haven't shared every skin I have made (some skins are practice for me, and some aren't finished so I could not share them anyway). If you finish a skin you like, and share it, I'm sure others will like it too. :) Even so, it's more important that you are happy with your work and enjoy what you create. I feel this community has no lack for need of more skin-makers, or ship builders, or any form of art-makers really. It's wonderful that we have a place to share and enjoy everyone's creations. Each creation adds something unique and beneficial for everyone to enjoy. :D