effects on turrets hitting mothership

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have been making some EMP turrets and noticed that if i shoot the mothership the emp effect will affect the mothership.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    sshhh Everything in every game is a feature, not a bug!

Seriously though, I'd think this would be a bug, It makes no sense for bobby AI to turn trator on you by shooting through your own ship...

then again bobby ai is really not that smart.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    I know that people use push effect on a docked entity firing at the mother ship to gain a thrust advantage. And i have stop turrets on many of my ships and have seen the stop icon when they hit the main ship.

I am working on emp turrets that drain for 4 million e/sec and its a problem if they hit the main ship

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If turrets hit the mother-ship, they shouldn't fire in the first place.

Perhaps when leaving the shipyard, you should be able to "calibrate" your guns. Each square on the bounding box then has info about which turrets can aim at it without hitting the mother-ship.

Then you would just have to cast a shadow of the targets boundary box on your ships boundary box and know which turrets can hit it and where.

If you like this post, I make a suggestion of "Calibrate your guns"
    EDIT: suggestion now exists: https://starmadedock.net/threads/callibrate-your-guns-aiming-angles.23397/

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It'd be nice if the AI wasn't retarded and didn't try to FORCE TURN into the ship to fire at a target 15km away behind the ship, while there is a valid target right in front of it (causing tons of collisions in the process)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    It'd be nice if the AI wasn't retarded and didn't try to FORCE TURN into the ship to fire at a target 15km away behind the ship, while there is a valid target right in front of it (causing tons of collisions in the process)
    Which is why bobby needs a makeover IMMEDIATELY. The way it acquires firing solutions is just plain dumb.... plus the turrets always fire toward the centre and don't move if the entire centre is destroyed, it'll just keep pumping through the centre and do absolutely nothing if the ship is still living but the centre is blown out.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Which is why bobby needs a makeover IMMEDIATELY. The way it acquires firing solutions is just plain dumb.... plus the turrets always fire toward the centre and don't move if the entire centre is destroyed, it'll just keep pumping through the centre and do absolutely nothing if the ship is still living but the centre is blown out.
    Really? Weird. I thought that turrets were just supposed to target systems on the enemy ship and switch at random every few seconds. Are you sure that they aren't targetting an internal docked entity?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Nope but my target was an empty hull of Colonial One I use for target practice.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Try shooting at something that has systems, or just throw random blobs of systems in it.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    I don't think ai knows how to deal with a ship with no systems

Does anyone know the answer to wether turrent effects hitting the mothership is a feature or a bug or an expoit that would then not be listed on the phabricator site