Doubt this was ever intended. Way to start survival

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The short version built a base 1 sector away from a pirate base. My sectors are 5Km.
    I have one turret that I use to target the base and take its shields down. This causes fighters to be sent to attack my base.
    I use other turrets to kill the ships. I then collect the remains and so on from them. When a debris cloud of blocks it there i can pick it up with a stealth ship.

The longer version involves collecting enough resources to do this. Flying to the position in a stealth ship.
    jump out create the base.Put faction block on it. Enter faction, set as home, claim system.
    Yep, totally making use of invulnerability. Until you take the pirate station shields down you won't get to many attacks just the station shooting at you. Just go out collect enough material to make turrets needed to kill pirate ships.

Probably not the first time someone came up with the idea.

I even got to thinking about building a ship grinder station. In short because of the invulnerability you could use it to draw in trap kill and harvest the ships without doing any real work.

Just watch after me posting this they will want to get rid of faction home base invulnerability.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Probably not the first time someone came up with the idea.
    I do this all the time. I always place my Home Base near a Pirate Station to farm. Or just simply to have something to shoot at since the Pirates no longer attack your base on their own.

Placing the Home Base in a sector next to the Pirate Station is not handy though. Because this way the Pirate Station is always loaded. Your turrets will keep shooting it and you can get swamped with Pirates. This does no stop until every turret on the Pirate Station is death. Only then will your Home Base turrets no longer shoot the Pirate Station. Because the enemy turrets are an actively controlled entity. The Pirate Station it self is only flagged as a Pirate by the Faction module. It is not an active entity.

You need to keep one empty sector between you and the Pirate Station. That way you can load the Pirate Station by flying a ship in the empty sector in between giving you control on when you want to attack the Pirate Station. Your Home Base turrets then start shooting it when it loads.

After all the turrets are gone. You need to shoot the station your self to get Pirates to spawn. This is also the vulnerability. Once you shoot the faction module it will no longer call for Pirates. It will then become a Derelict Station. I actively seek out my enemies and target these Pirate stations to deny them the resources. So calling it an exploit is none sense. It is staple StarMade tactics for as long as i play the game. Get with the program. Seek out and destroy your enemies Pirate farm if he has one.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, I usually buy the bits to build a turret with my starting credits and pick a planet with a pirate base right next to it. Pirates always come check me out, my defense turret shoots them down, I go salvage the wrecks.

Reaction score
    Placing the Home Base in a sector next to the Pirate Station is not handy though. Because this way the Pirate Station is always loaded. Your turrets will keep shooting it and you can get swamped with Pirates. This does no stop until every turret on the Pirate Station is death.
    If you set the turrets to "my target" they won't fire unless you are in the build block and targeting the station.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you set the turrets to "my target" they won't fire unless you are in the build block and targeting the station.
    Yes you can use that. But how many times did you shoot a friendly. Who came to visit while having them on that setting. Not to mention that your space around your Home Base is then pretty hostile. With Pirate Turrets targeting anything that moves.

Keeping the station out of load range with an empty sector is a lot nicer on the server to. But if you want to be in close then "my target" is a way to do it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I do this all the time. I always place my Home Base near a Pirate Station to farm. Or just simply to have something to shoot at since the Pirates no longer attack your base on their own.

Placing the Home Base in a sector next to the Pirate Station is not handy though. Because this way the Pirate Station is always loaded. Your turrets will keep shooting it and you can get swamped with Pirates. This does no stop until every turret on the Pirate Station is death. Only then will your Home Base turrets no longer shoot the Pirate Station. Because the enemy turrets are an actively controlled entity. The Pirate Station it self is only flagged as a Pirate by the Faction module. It is not an active entity.

You need to keep one empty sector between you and the Pirate Station. That way you can load the Pirate Station by flying a ship in the empty sector in between giving you control on when you want to attack the Pirate Station. Your Home Base turrets then start shooting it when it loads.

After all the turrets are gone. You need to shoot the station your self to get Pirates to spawn. This is also the vulnerability. Once you shoot the faction module it will no longer call for Pirates. It will then become a Derelict Station. I actively seek out my enemies and target these Pirate stations to deny them the resources. So calling it an exploit is none sense. It is staple StarMade tactics for as long as i play the game. Get with the program. Seek out and destroy your enemies Pirate farm if he has one.

There is a solution to prevent them from shooting at it all the time.
    If you make your sectors at least 5K in size. You can build your station far enough away.
    To hit the station with something other than a missile you will need "damage beam" as the secondary. So I only have 1 turret that is setup like that. I simply turn the AI off when on it when I don't want more ships. The beam I use to shoot the station does just enough damage to take the shields down. It will take forever to kill the station and its turrets.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you even need AI if it is aligned properly with the pirate station? Logic-fire (if it doesn't work from stations, maybe from a docked turret?)

And the problem with hostile environment could be solved with a teleporter :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Do you even need AI if it is aligned properly with the pirate station? Logic-fire (if it doesn't work from stations, maybe from a docked turret?)
    Yes you can build al sort of automatic stuff. But the thing is more about how the server handles it all. If you have been server Admin then you get really unhappy with people who build right next to a Pirate Station. Logic clocks and God forbid Weapon Clocks are an even greater menace.

So please just keep an empty sector between you and the Pirate Station. If you know what you are doing and you do not cause a Pirate ship wave spawn Storm. Well then okay but only just.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

And the problem with hostile environment could be solved with a teleporter :)
    Pre release 0.199.491 ~ Bobby AI can now be activated via logic

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just watch after me posting this they will want to get rid of faction home base invulnerability.
    I'm fairly certain that your ability to do this in the first place comes from the more-or-less placeholder faction claim system. If I remember correctly, it will become significantly more in-depth later on and there might be some more requirements to claim a system and/or set an invulnerable faction home. So no, invulnerability will not be removed. The entire current system is flawed, and incomplete.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    IIRC, this is what JoelBrisco did on the old Elwyn server to farm his parts. He would shoot a shop, kill the ships that arrived, and had newbie slave labor to salvage the wrecks.

I would advise against doing this. Cores of turrets and other such things will escape to bloat up the database tremendously.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    IIRC, this is what JoelBrisco did on the old Elwyn server to farm his parts. He would shoot a shop, kill the ships that arrived, and had newbie slave labor to salvage the wrecks.

I would advise against doing this. Cores of turrets and other such things will escape to bloat up the database tremendously.
    We have an obvious solution to that now. You build a small ship with cargo containers in it. Load all the crap you don't want to keep and fire it into the nearest star. Problem solved.

And you probably thought we didn't have a garbage disposal system.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I thought stations survive sunburns? Maybe they use sunblocker-cream-exploits ;)

They would be excellent garbage disposals. together with an automated factory+shipyard system and rail-catcher / shootout.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Shooting the Trade-Guild was a great way to get stuff. Since the hostile flag would reset after every log on.

The thing that really made all of this a problem though. Is that everything has become persistent.

It used to be that when you logged off. All Trade-Guild and all Pirate ships around you would be wiped by the server. So when you logged back on the sector was clean again. This used to be abused offcourse. But this self cleaning mechanic is something StarMade seriously lacks right now. Stuff should not exist for ever just because it was spawned in at some point. This is also why the NPC is currently such a bloated monstrosity.

Admins sort of try to keep up with /Despawn commands but that is just silly.

Just like the countdown on a shot ship. There should be some time to live counter. When the counter reaches zero the entity or whole wave gets scrubbed from the map and database.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Shooting the Trade-Guild was a great way to get stuff. Since the hostile flag would reset after every log on.

The thing that really made all of this a problem though. Is that everything has become persistent.

It used to be that when you logged off. All Trade-Guild and all Pirate ships around you would be wiped by the server. So when you logged back on the sector was clean again. This used to be abused offcourse. But this self cleaning mechanic is something StarMade seriously lacks right now. Stuff should not exist for ever just because it was spawned in at some point. This is also why the NPC is currently such a bloated monstrosity.

Admins sort of try to keep up with /Despawn commands but that is just silly.

Just like the countdown on a shot ship. There should be some time to live counter. When the counter reaches zero the entity or whole wave gets scrubbed from the map and database.
    There are a number of things fun to watch. Watch how fast the trade guilds miners remove all the astroids in a system.
    God for bid pirates come any place near you at a shop.
    Add to that all the temporary factories of the trade guild.
    I haven't checked the growth rate of the other factions yet, has anyone? Think I seen a complaint the other day about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    We have an obvious solution to that now. You build a small ship with cargo containers in it. Load all the crap you don't want to keep and fire it into the nearest star. Problem solved.
    I thought stations survive sunburns? Maybe they use sunblocker-cream-exploits ;)
    Sun damage only happens in loaded sectors. I and others have whole fleets parked inside stars for save keeping. Blue stars are great for this. Fog of War should prevent most people from seeing them on the map. Good luck scanning every system to hunt them down.

There are a number of things fun to watch. Watch how fast the trade guilds miners remove all the astroids in a system.
    The Traders NPC is not the Trading Guild faction. Both still exist in the game.

To add to the confusion. On your hard drive in your ../data/npcFactions/Trading Guild

The folder is called Trading Guild. But they are not AI Faction number -2. In the factions list they are called Traders.

The Trading Guild faction uses the same ships as the Pirate AI Faction -1.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sun damage only happens in loaded sectors. I and others have whole fleets parked inside stars for save keeping. Blue stars are great for this. Fog of War should prevent most people from seeing them on the map. Good luck scanning every system to hunt them down.
    But now I know where to search for them :p​

Reactions: Batavium