• Yes! I want this with turrets, too!

Votes: 2 16.7%
    • No, but hide lifeless cores in the HUD

Votes: 1 8.3%
    • No, I'm happy as is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    could we add a new block that is specifically for adding things like doors to ships?

it is the same as the standard rail docker, except it acts as a core with no beacon, and cannot be undocked from a rail in any way other than if all rail blocks that it is connected to are destroyed (so, if it was moving across two rails and one was destroyed, it could still continue to the remaining one).

if undocked, it 'overheats' after 1 second and then is destroyed (like a ship would be from an overheating core) - this would stop people from using this dock to create hidden ships with no signatures.

it would not be able to interact with pickup or shootout rails, only normal rails and rotators, meaning that it could be used to make all sorts of doors on ships without a hideous amount of markers, and would not be recognised as a member of the normal docking chain (perhaps have a modifier key to flit between door docks).

an alternative would be to have a system in place where if a HUD setting is active, any ship cores without any weapons, effects, shields, power, or bobby AI (or occupied by players/NPCs) would be classed as lifeless/decorative cores and their markers would be hidden from the HUD. this would mean that doors and the likes would not show up (by default?) until one of those criteria were met. this would also mean that you could have a bank of escape pods for your crew ready to go without a sea of markers.

i feel like this would greatly help with internal decoration, as people would be much more willing to use mechanical doors all over their ships.

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like the idea, but I've also used pickup rails to (hide the rails themselves)for them from time to time, so I'd not like that restriction.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I'm not against this idea per se but it seems fairly useless since you can already turn off docked entities from showing up on your HUD.

Reaction score
    I'm not against this idea per se but it seems fairly useless since you can already turn off docked entities from showing up on your HUD.
    my only thought with that is that you then dont get the ability to still see turrets and extra ships on stations, if you so wish...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In other words, a door block that would not appear in the HUD as a docked item or turret?
    If that's it I'm 100% for! :))
    (imagine the secret doors! and the non-visual pollution)

Reactions: Dire Venom

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I like the idea of having another nav filter to hide docked entities which don't have any weapon/tool computers and reactors. Maybe not including thrusters because they can make good decor blocks and each entity has it's own integrity. Manufacturing/buying a block instead of just ticking a box in a menu seems to be a bit of a waste of time imo but not having to use a core would be pretty cool. In Developement - Cockpits: Simple solution (remote core access) shows that it may be possible that cores will no longer be needed so the nav setting could also just hide docked entities without a core (or whatever will control ships) if it will work that way.

Reaction score
    yeah that would be good! to be honest, the most important part is that threats wont count so that theres a difference between decorative and active entities. perhaps if it was more no players/NPCs occupying the core, no Bobby AI, and no weapons... anything else is considered harmless and therefore just aesthetic.

Reaction score
    Current nav filter more-or-less has this. If you set turrets on and docked off, you will only see docked weapons and not docked other things like armor/doors/etc. That said it does not differentiate docked ships from inert docked objects, so maybe adding a filter for docked things without reactors would be good.

Over-all, this is a better as a nav filter idea than something at the entity level, because at the entity level you open up a lot of room for bugs and exploits.

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    I really wish we had a way to distinguish between structural elements and actual docked ships.
    agreed, and i suppose thats what this thread really boils down to... a way to separate the sheep from the goats, as it were...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes like Sven_The_Slayer or other, the main objective is to distinguish this two "compound" at most

Reactions: alij331