Docked Entity Fix

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    so i've bee reading the replies about the new proposed power system and the coversation turned towards problems with docked armor and the such, and i after reading a few got this following idea

[There Should Be Multiple Types Of Docks]
    What i mean by this is that there should be a specific block for docking one ship to another, one for launching fighters and taking them back in, one specificly for logic stuffs (like doors and other extendables), and one specificly for turrets.

Docking to another ship:
    - should be limited by a maximum speed, meaning that if the two ships would reach this speed they would automaticly undock and be pushed away from eachother slighty as to avoid collisions

Fighter docks
    - should only be able to hold ships up to a certain mass

Logic docks
    - work like the normal docks we have now except for two things they are indestructable in the same way a ship core is (the block no longer has collisions and is able to be shot through) and the main entity should inherit: mass, shields and armor hp from the docked entity

Turret Docks
    - same thing as the logic docks except it turns

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think you've brought together in a nice list ideas mentioned before by others in conversation.
    An alternative to multiple blocks is, to allow the docker to be controlled in a similar way we control our Bobby AI.
    Give the docker a menu of these and possible other options to set the docker up appropriately.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think you've brought together in a nice list ideas mentioned before by others in conversation.
    An alternative to multiple blocks is, to allow the docker to be controlled in a similar way we control our Bobby AI.
    Give the docker a menu of these and possible other options to set the docker up appropriately.
    there would have to be a limit on how often you can change its "role"

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What's to prevent me from using multiple Fighter docks or a logic or Turret dock to make docked armor?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What's to prevent me from using multiple Fighter docks or a logic or Turret dock to make docked armor?
    they affect the main ship, the armor hp of the docked entities (with the exception fighter docks) is added to the main ship and as the docked bits take damage the main ship takes the same amount of armor hp damage

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It's been awhile since I've played, But when I build Docked Armor, it's not to protect the main ship from AHP, or SHP loss. Don't get me wrong those are nice side effects. My main reason for docked armor is to reduce the size of the main ship for turning speed and to reduce the mass of the armor itself so that passive effects don't use as many blocks. Also having a small main ship reduces the blocks needed for a max speed overdrive system.

Can you modify your idea to counter these exploits?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's been awhile since I've played, But when I build Docked Armor, it's not to protect the main ship from AHP, or SHP loss. Don't get me wrong those are nice side effects. My main reason for docked armor is to reduce the size of the main ship for turning speed and to reduce the mass of the armor itself so that passive effects don't use as many blocks. Also having a small main ship reduces the blocks needed for a max speed overdrive system.

Can you modify your idea to counter these exploits?
    the main ship also inherits the mass from the docked armor, as for the turning im not realy sure

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Also having a small main ship reduces the blocks needed for a max speed overdrive system.
    Seems to me this is a pretty nice exploit in itself. I did not know this and will now alter my building style to accommodate it. Thanks alterintel :)

the main ship also inherits the mass from the docked armor, as for the turning im not realy sure
    Mass inheritance from the docked entity should be occuring by default.
    [doublepost=1496007332,1496007195][/doublepost]
    there would have to be a limit on how often you can change its "role"
    I think forcing the undocking in order to change it would suffice. That way you couldn't modify it's properties mid battle/flight/death. ;-)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Seems to me this is a pretty nice exploit in itself. I did not know this and will now alter my building style to accommodate it. Thanks alterintel :)

Mass inheritance from the docked entity should be occuring by default.
    [doublepost=1496007332,1496007195][/doublepost]
    I think forcing the undocking in order to change it would suffice. That way you couldn't modify it's properties mid battle/flight/death. ;-)
    i agree with the undock to change the "role"